Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 PM

911 posts, read 2,591,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc888 View Post
I wouldn't call that rude. I've had way worse experience with real "rude" neighbors, like the ones that pound and hammer at 2 AM and tell you go to go hell when you ask them to quiet down... in today's world, a lot of people won't open the door for strangers. It's unfortunate but I can also understand why some people would be like that.

In your situation, I wouldn't bother with your neighbor at all. Send your LL a certified letter, as everyone else is suggesting, and basically tell him that he needs to fix the problem or you will fix the problem and withhold the amount spent to fix it from your rent.

i hope this didnt happen to you, that's just terrible if it did and a crap neighbor too.

i've been looking at the apartments my aunt moved into. i was over there different times of any given day and it was crazy quiet. but its way over my price range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 AM

18,373 posts, read 31,471,712 times
None of this makes any sense. How do you know their shower curtain is outside the tub? How do you know they just let water all over their floor. It seems to me, logically there is a leak below the floor above the ceiling. I can't imagine any tenant just letting water stay all over their floor, it doesn't make sense.
tell the LL, he has to have the problem solved, and if need be, hold the rent. this really is a no brainer. Also by pounding on the tenants door like a maniac, what's up with that?? You do that to my door, I would have opened it, and I would have of put you in your place but oh so fast, your head would have of been spinning.

Most probably the tenants dont even know the water is leaking.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:43 PM

831 posts, read 2,818,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I can't imagine any tenant just letting water stay all over their floor, it doesn't make sense.

You'd be surprised at how stupid some people are. I can totally see some idiot showering with no curtain and letting the water splash everywhere. My younger sister used to do it all the time when she was a teen and it would leak downstairs if there was enough water. If the place is older, there could be some cracks for the water to seep through, but if the tenants simply showered carefully it probably wouldn't happen in the first place. The OP didn't say it was a everyday thing, so it must be only when they are careless.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
None of this makes any sense. How do you know their shower curtain is outside the tub? How do you know they just let water all over their floor. It seems to me, logically there is a leak below the floor above the ceiling. I can't imagine any tenant just letting water stay all over their floor, it doesn't make sense.
tell the LL, he has to have the problem solved, and if need be, hold the rent. this really is a no brainer. Also by pounding on the tenants door like a maniac, what's up with that?? You do that to my door, I would have opened it, and I would have of put you in your place but oh so fast, your head would have of been spinning.

Most probably the tenants dont even know the water is leaking.

read a little more carefully. a police knock is a stern steady knock. loud enough to hear.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:36 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,648,806 times
Is this a relatively new rental for you, or is it the same one where you had problems with noise, etc?

Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM

504 posts, read 1,540,082 times
It might be that the tub itself isn't level. Our upstairs tub wasn't level and water would leak over the tub top even though we had the shower curtain inside the tub. We got some plastic shower splash guards for each end and no water has leaked since then. Like others have said though, the water shouldn't be leaking through the floor/ceiling either way. Both problems need to be fixed.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

18,373 posts, read 31,471,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
read a little more carefully. a police knock is a stern steady knock. loud enough to hear.

Oh gee, I didn't know there were different types of knocks, thank you so very much for clarifying that for me.

The next time I get a knock on my apartment door, I will have to see if I can figure out the differences of knocks that people do.

BTW, other than a "Police Knock", what other types of knocks should I be on the lookout for?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Is this a relatively new rental for you, or is it the same one where you had problems with noise, etc?

its new, but i guess all places have the same general problems.

the landlord came and checked it out and it would only leak when they showered or just got done.....right at the corner of their tub where you'd hang your curtain if you were crazy enough to hang it outside the tub......

he set up an appointment to go caulk the area between the tub and toilet....but surprise, they didnt answer their door and they were home.

but when you want to just be friendly and neighborly and inform someone they might have a leak or to watch their curtain, they get offended like mr ghetto bonehead did when i told him.

so in the long run if my ceiling collapses, he's probably going to lose his security deposit.

i never knew there were so many small things that could go wrong with a dwelling because of someone else's mistakes. its kinda odd.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
It might be that the tub itself isn't level. Our upstairs tub wasn't level and water would leak over the tub top even though we had the shower curtain inside the tub. We got some plastic shower splash guards for each end and no water has leaked since then. Like others have said though, the water shouldn't be leaking through the floor/ceiling either way. Both problems need to be fixed.

thats a perfect idea for sure, but if you saw these people they'd probably force the curtain over the guard when they got done showering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting