Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

I don't mind at all carrying the bags of groceries upstairs (I'm on the 2nd floor); EXCEPT during winter when we've had another of our lovely ice storms. I do all I can to schedule my trips around the worst of the weather; and now that I'm retired, I do have more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
how do you guys do it? just go back and forth a few times?

for people in mega complexes that must be a pain.

its a dumb question, but ive never lived in an apartment before.

I live on the third floor. I can carry 15 plastic grocery bags at one time. It's not a big deal and great for your arms.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:53 AM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times
I used a cart. At my old place, they had about 4 shopping carts from the local Giant ( no idea how those shopping carts got there as they clearly were from Giant ) in the building that tenants could use to carry all kinds of items, they also had dollies, it was all on the first floor, so whenever you needed to carry something, you'd just stop by the first floor and borrow a cart or dolly, worked pretty well till someone leaves the cart on the 14th floor and you spend hours looking for it, stopping at each floor. I also remember when I lived close to a grocery store once and I could push my cart from the store to the building

Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I live on the third floor. I can carry 15 plastic grocery bags at one time. It's not a big deal and great for your arms.
Exactly.
One of the coolest things about the human body is that it adapts to the demand.

I lived four flights up and would go up and down. It was a real pain at first, but you body adapts pretty fast. So I'm in better physical shape than my first floor buddies. I can live with that

Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Sometimes I will leave heavy things that can wait in the trunk and leave it for the next time I get out of the car from a trip, usually being water or cans of juice/soda.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
I have a handy dandy black shopping cart.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
when i was young i had a paper route and i remember delivering in apartment complexes and seeing the grocery carts.

it just didnt seem right or look right.

hate to say it but i didnt want to spend any time in those apartments.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 AM

50 posts, read 81,806 times
This is not a dumb question at all. Currently the store is across the street, but in the past I would just make small trips every couple of days or use one of the large chains that delivers via the net, not sure we can name them here. Occassionally we've been known to taxi it too.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:36 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Our complex had one of them thar new fangled inventions - an elevator. We used to carry our groceries into it from the parking garage, push a button and arrive on our floor, just like magic. What'll they think of next? Garbage chutes.

We tried a cart but always seemed to leave it in the apt. So just carry your stuff up. Sometimes it takes a couple of trips. It's not too bad. I admit I prefer my house with the 6 car driveway.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:35 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Question hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
how do you guys do it? just go back and forth a few times?

for people in mega complexes that must be a pain.

its a dumb question, but ive never lived in an apartment before.
You could just have them delivered and let someone else go back and forth or up and down...easy solution...or...make several stops each week at the store and only buy what you need.
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting