Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The local paint store owners must have loved seeing you walk in the door. Painting an apartment 3 times in 4 years? Must be quite a record unless you had several unsupervised youngsters scrawling on the walls and/or a pack of equally untrained dogs scrabbling up them.
LOL, no we just like to change colors, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 5,032 times
nightcrawler.. If you have an endless supply of money, which you are clearly trying to assert that point over and over again.. Why do you rent? That's ALMOST as wasteful as recarpeting or painting every few years, or when you just get 'bored' with the color. Or better yet, why not just buy a house for every mood you're in? Seems like you need a lot of reassurance as to how rich you are. Looks like money doesn't buy everything!

Old 10-01-2012, 04:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4951 View Post
nightcrawler.. If you have an endless supply of money, which you are clearly trying to assert that point over and over again.. Why do you rent? That's ALMOST as wasteful as recarpeting or painting every few years, or when you just get 'bored' with the color. Or better yet, why not just buy a house for every mood you're in? Seems like you need a lot of reassurance as to how rich you are. Looks like money doesn't buy everything!
You're replying to a year old thread.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:37 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillThePill View Post
Dang When did I Say we Weren't CLEANING it? And why do so many landlords think it's the tenant's responsibility to cover their cost of business?

We intend to return the apartment "free of debris", vacuumed, scrubbed and mopped. That is what the lease states. The landlord wants us to pay for it being reconditioned and ready for the next tenant. He has not even given us the option to do the tasks ourselves. He has already told us that he is going to charge us for professional services.

If this guy had been a good landlord we would be more agreeable but he didn't live up to his end of the bargain during the time she lived there. She had a non-functional bathroom for months because he wouldn't get around to replacing a shower door, there was a bug infestation that he wouldn't take care of, the A/C was underpowered and couldn't cool the apartment more than 20 degrees (it routinely gets to high 90's here), the building front door had a broken lock, he refused to leave the exterior lights on after midnight - causing my girlfriend to always be scared of her pitch black entrance if she came home late. Every repair needed he did the work himself to a shoddy standard only after bugging him for months. He has a history of being as cheap as possible and passing the buck.
Professional carpet cleaning and pest control because you had pets is not "reconditioning" the apartment. Neither is repainting the bathroom if you left more dings than normal wear and tear would allow. to me, normal wear and tear are a few minor scuffs - no dents, no dings, no nails or holes, no dirt. Remember, dirt is not wear and tear.

Next time be sure that you are fully aware of what the move out expectations are (usually these are clearly outlined in the lease, addenda, or a tenant handbook) before you sign a lease. Insist on a personal walkthrough inspection when you move in where everything is documented and photographed and signed by the landlord and yourself. This is kept until move out where a 2nd inspection is compared to condition when you moved in.

Check out the next property as well as you can, too - talk to neighbors and see how the landlord handles repairs.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,812 times
Well, we moved out of our apartment. But cleaned it very well, even before moving my wife got permission from the landlord to paint the place, which we did all white. Now the landlord is trying to take our deposit by saying the place was'nt painted correctly and that it wasn't cleaned right. He got 250 in pet fees plus 50 a month for our dog. he's charging for blinds which we replaced just before moving and to repaint the apartment, we never been nasty tenants and always did very good cleaning when moving. Beside the carpet was old when we moved in. so would you say we are responsibile paying to have the place painted if was giving permission. also he's trying to charge because we smoked, but there's nothing in the contract saying no smoking in the units

Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1212 View Post
Well, we moved out of our apartment. But cleaned it very well, even before moving my wife got permission from the landlord to paint the place, which we did all white. Now the landlord is trying to take our deposit by saying the place was'nt painted correctly and that it wasn't cleaned right. He got 250 in pet fees plus 50 a month for our dog. he's charging for blinds which we replaced just before moving and to repaint the apartment, we never been nasty tenants and always did very good cleaning when moving. Beside the carpet was old when we moved in. so would you say we are responsibile paying to have the place painted if was giving permission. also he's trying to charge because we smoked, but there's nothing in the contract saying no smoking in the units
Next time start a new thread...but I'll answer anyway.............

1) do have permission to paint in writing? If so, you might be able to fight that unless you painted like a 5 yr old.

2) Your pet fees have nothing to do this situation. And they don't go towards pet damage unless you have it writing saying it does.

3) Did you get the same exact blinds that were there when you moved in? Or, did you get permission to use a different brand or style?

4) The age of carpet means nothing unless he's trying to charge you to replace the whole thing...now, if you damaged the carpet that's another ball of wax. Wear and tear is one thing, pet or smoke damage is another.

5) Do you have any idea what smoke does to a home?

You are expected to return your unit in the same conditioin or better when you move out. That means, top to bottom cleaning, including the carpets. Smoke lingers in a home long after the smokers have moved out and that's probably what you're paying for...damage caused by smoke.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM

118 posts, read 887,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles1212 View Post
also he's trying to charge because we smoked, but there's nothing in the contract saying no smoking in the units.

Now the landlord is trying to take our deposit by saying the place was'nt painted correctly and that it wasn't cleaned right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

You are expected to return your unit in the same conditioin or better when you move out.

I cringe at the amount of work needed to get rid of that smoke smell.

good luck with that.

They're going to need to sponge mop the walls and ceiling with Simple Green and steam clean the carpets.
If that doesn't work, they have to repaint to seal in the smoke.

Did you use detergent like Krud Kutter to clean the walls before painting? or did you just slap a coat of color on the existing wall ?

Many tenants don't know how to paint properly, and it leaves a mess for the LL to fix

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciril View Post

And flea bombs/pesticides are very bad for animals, including cats. One of my cats had asthma - turned out it was caused by pesticides. Of course, if you decide that, even though the apt. doesn't have fleas, you want to quiet the landlord regarding flea eradication... well, if you buy flea bombs at the grocery store/Home Depot, etc., make a copy of the receipt for court (saying you apt. did not have fleas, but you bombed the place anyway just to quiet the landlord), and then you return the flea bombs to the store for your money back...

Good luck. And pictures are your friend!

which is why we require a professional pest control treatment of the dwelling when a tenant with cats or dogs moves out. and they have to provide the original paid receipt to the pest control company. Same for the carpet cleaning, no Rug Doctor type accepted - professional carpet cleaning.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4951 View Post

This is actually too funny, and it is a year later.

But Newsflash: Paint is not expensive. I have also never tried to assert that I have an endless supply of money... LOL

However, Duh!!, I do have a job and get paid weekly, so no, buying paint is not a problem for me. I can do it often.

I also, do not rent, I own a CO-OP for the last 18 years in the same building I rented in.

****sticks tongue out*****

Old 02-04-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You're replying to a year old thread.

LOL, thank you for pointing that out.

and I answered too!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting