U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,657,398 times

Advertisements

Hey, My lease was due in August I let my landlord know prior to signing a new lease that I was looking to buy.. so before signing a new lease she put in there that I could give her 90 days notice to end the lease. I just got under contract on a place and close on November 8th. BUT I am still a bit hesitant to let her know I am moving out since the place I am buying is a short sale.. it has been approved by the bank and all seems to be in line for the closing.. My landlord told me if she finds a renter that wants to move in sooner than 90 days than that would not be a problem to move out before. What should I do???
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM

17,579 posts, read 21,275,560 times
You can't have everything. Either give your notice now and risk not having a place to live or wait and risk paying rent and your mortgage at the same time.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 AM

3,362 posts, read 10,487,910 times
Considering that closing is looking to be on scheduale, tell the LL. Also tell the LL the details of a short sale and PLANNED closing. Maybe you need to look at a November 30 exit on your rental so that there is a cushion if the closing is delayed.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 AM

thanks for the advice.. my next question is should I tell the landlord the details in my notice or give a notice then tell her the details in a seperate phone call or email?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,221,716 times
I don't think your LL is going to care about the details. They're probably more interested in exactly when you're moving out so they can get a renter in there again. You're really in a crummy position because short sales don't always go as planned and closing may be delayed.

Good luck with your new home.

Any and all correspondence with the LL should be in writing to cover your butt.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 PM

I just told her she was not happy and is being kind of rude about it.. it is not like It is a surprise to her as I told her about this 3 months ago and she offered to put the 90 day notice in the lease!.. She says this is a bad time to rent it and my offical move out day will be Jan 10th no exceptions!

Old 10-10-2011, 07:09 PM

29,990 posts, read 21,072,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I just told her she was not happy and is being kind of rude about it.. it is not like It is a surprise to her as I told her about this 3 months ago and she offered to put the 90 day notice in the lease!.. She says this is a bad time to rent it and my offical move out day will be Jan 10th no exceptions!
If you have 90 in writing in your lease then your land lady cannot change her terms to suit herself.

Get everything in writing!

Old 10-10-2011, 11:04 PM

Actually jan. 10 is 3 months from now. She has evey right to say Jan 10 is the end of the lease.
Be prepared to agree to Jan 10. It is 3 months(90 days).

Old 10-10-2011, 11:08 PM

Actually 90 days from now is Jan. 10. Be prepared to move and pay rent up to Jan 10. It's in writing in the lease. You waited too long to plan on Nov. 30. But anticipqating a short sale and setting closing date is not easy.
Maybe the gods will be with you and the closing will be delayed and Jan 10 is a good date. work with it.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM

504 posts, read 1,273,238 times
I was in the same boat as the OP a few months ago.

My recommendation is that you give your 90 day notice because anything can happen in a short sale .. or any other sale for that matter.

For me, everything went absolutely smoothly until 2 weeks before closing. Due to a syntax error (appraiser wrote the wrong name for the HOA), it took another 1 month clear up the mistake.

Another recommendation is that you ask your LL that you will be responsible for the rent up until Jan 10th (or whatever 90 days is), but if you can find a suitable renter to take over before, will they honor their prior verbal agreement on that matter. If the LL agrees, immediately send an email to them (with read receipt) stating these facts.

If you use web based email, there is a free reas reciept service that works quite well. I believe it also works with Hotmail and Yahoo, but I've only tried it on Gmail. It's called SpyPig (SpyPig - Free Email Tracking System - Find out if your email has been read!) which tells you when your receipiant reads your message to confirm they have seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting