Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Here's another thing you might consider -- tho right off the bat I'll tell you I would give them 30 days' and get them out.

However, since you have had the thought that they can't do much worse, you could send them a letter telling them about your disappointment in the condition of the property and give them 2 choices:
a. move in 30 days
b. fix everything and you will inspect then, give you security deposit equivalent to one month's rent and sign a 12-month lease with you. If they agree to this, get a conventional lease that details property upkeep.
Don't sign a 12 month lease with these folks. Then any future hope of a 30 day notice is gone forever and if you wanted them out after the 30 day notice, then you would be spending thousands on a lawyer for evicting them.
They still have the dogs. The dogs destroy things. Even if Option B above was used, the dogs would trash things again...then you would be stuck witha year lease. Nightmare.

Quite frankly, the only good thing about this whole situation is they are on a month to month lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't sign a 12 month lease with these folks. Then any future hope of a 30 day notice is gone forever and if you wanted them out after the 30 day notice, then you would be spending thousands on a lawyer for evicting them.
They still have the dogs. The dogs destroy things. Even if Option B above was used, the dogs would trash things again...then you would be stuck witha year lease. Nightmare.

Quite frankly, the only good thing about this whole situation is they are on a month to month lease.
Oh, you are right! Change that option 2 to fix everything, security deposit, and month-to-month but sign a lease this time that reflects the lease term and property condition requirements.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
So you think they can't do any more damage?
Sista, you have no idea.
I've known renters who have gotten angry with their landlords, or even with the banks when they were foreclosed upon. One left her waterbed in the house - and slashed it to ribbons before she left. Another stripped out all of the plumbing fixtures - and turned the water on as she left the house. Another literally kicked in all of the drywall in every room, smashing it to the wood. Still another poured cement down all of the drains. Another left water hoses running outside all of the basement windows... for three days before it was discovered. Another stripped every single bit of electrical wiring out of the house, ripping into walls to get it all. Another tore loose the outside unit of the air conditioner and took it with them.

People who will destroy things, rip off cabinet doors, let their dogs tear things up, or leave crusted food in the carpets will do much, much worse if you make them angry. And it doesn't take much to make people, who think that they are 'entitled' to what you have, or who are jealous or even slovenly, to get angry! After all, it is YOUR fault they have to move... how DARE you judge THEM?

Get them out ASAP, and don't tell them why. Don't make excuses to or for them, and let an attorney handle it, firmly and professionally, if you can't.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM

353 posts, read 905,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Many people who are renters today believe its their right to trash the house they are living in because the landlord is making a mint off of them. They have no clue that many landlords are just slipping by keeping their heads above water.
Or maybe some people are just messy and they'd be messy no matter if the house was rented or owned.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:43 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
No way give them any chances, ask them to fix things, nothing. Get rid of them immediately. Be sure you know where they work, for future garnishment.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:47 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Or maybe some people are just messy and they'd be messy no matter if the house was rented or owned.
What the OP described was a bit more than messy. My limited experience says that no new renters should have a lease longer than 30 days. If they pay their rent on time and take care of the house after frequent inspections, then you can move it to a 6 month lease after a year, and maybe to something longer for good behavior. IMO, renters need to earn something more than a 30 days lease by showing you that they are responsbile persons. Respnsible renters will not have a problem with this; irresponsible renters will.

Unless they have impeccable references going back 4 years, no legal violations, and information that goes back awhile, as well as a stable good job, and a history of knowing how to take care of properties, no one should have a lease longer than 30 days.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
My limited experience says that no new renters should have a lease longer than 30 days. Unless they have impeccable references going back 4 years, no legal violations, and information that goes back awhile, as well as a stable good job, and a history of knowing how to take care of properties, no one should have a lease longer than 30 days.
Good gracious!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 AM

353 posts, read 905,847 times
Quote:
What the OP described was a bit more than messy. My limited experience says that no new renters should have a lease longer than 30 days. If they pay their rent on time and take care of the house after frequent inspections, then you can move it to a 6 month lease after a year, and maybe to something longer for good behavior. IMO, renters need to earn something more than a 30 days lease by showing you that they are responsbile persons. Respnsible renters will not have a problem with this; irresponsible renters will.

Unless they have impeccable references going back 4 years, no legal violations, and information that goes back awhile, as well as a stable good job, and a history of knowing how to take care of properties, no one should have a lease longer than 30 days.
LOL.

Are we talking about leasing a place to live or a stint in prison? What a power trip. I didn't know renters were labeled as unsavory animals who need to be scolded and supervised like new puppies. Good to know.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
I somewhat agree with what Zarathu says. It's really not a power trip. I am allowing someone to live in my property and aside from wear and tear, I want to ensure that my product is not being abused or damaged.

While 30 days seems nonsensical, I do agree that for a new tenant with no rental history, a 6 month initial lease with option to renew is my personal choice. In Baltimore it is quite difficult to evict a tenant so 6 months gives me an easy way out to remove a tenant and avoid all the other BS.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

912 posts, read 5,260,722 times
I can only imagine that Zarathu and Davecj only rent top-of-the-line, multimillion dollar penthouse apartments in the heart of downtown, or, are willing to have empty properties for vast stretches of time.

Either way, OP, get rid of these people asap. They will only give you more and more problems.

Cut your losses and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting