U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 PM

8,349 posts, read 10,926,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omiro View Post
So, ignore the letter and pick up your mail. Complain to his boss. Why would you let somebody bully you 3 times with this now?
No one could pick open their mailboxes until the letter was removed. The property owner has been notified, and has done nothing yet.

Last, but not least, I'm not being bullied. Try reading the original post.

The manager is harassing my neighbor, because he doesn't like him and wants him to move out. The manager is actually afraid of me, because when there's a problem, I notify the property owner. These latest water notices and photos will be sent (with delivery confirmation) with my rent check this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Your box may be the same style, but the locks are different and you should have a sticker on the box identifying it as USPS owned.

I'm sure that the USPS would know if it belonged to them or not, and they said that it did. I'm sure that they would know if the box belonged to them or not.

We work on these kind of boxes weekly. The locks pictured are not USPS, they are your average mailbox lock. The Postal workers here will not touch them other than to open them from the back and put the mail in.

I called in the problem, spoke to a supervisor, and she sent out a postal worker who changed the lock.

The form the OP was asked to fill out was for mail tampering and vandalism, which is covered for any box (usps owned or otherwise) that stores mail. This is a federal crime, most commonly seen with teenagers, baseball bats and rural mailboxes.

Yes, that's right. I filled out the PS 2016, the clerk stapled the photos to it, and said that she worked directly with the Postal Inspection Officers.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omiro View Post
Regardless who owns the mailbox the OP should conract the owner of the cottages, the boss of the manager, to get this resolved. Or a p.o. Box.
If you would take the time to READ THROUGH all of the posts, you'll see that it's already been done. Try reading post #21.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,264,583 times
Way too much irrelavent drama. To the OP, you already were proevided the answer,
1. Copy the letter and send to which ever unit in the water department handles fraud and crimes.
2. File a police report (yes this is the number oine thing to do!!!!!!)
3. You already files with the USPS for the postal inspectors reveiw so leave it be on the whole USPS subject (we really could care less about who ownes the boxes) since you already reporetd it to them.
4. Unless you know for a FACT it was the property manager who did it, you can end up on the short end of expensive lawsuit if you accuse them withiout proof, so don;r blame them, just state FACTS!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Way too much irrelavent drama. To the OP, you already were proevided the answer,
1. Copy the letter and send to which ever unit in the water department handles fraud and crimes. This was dealt with in person.

2. File a police report (yes this is the number oine thing to do!!!!!!)

I'll tell my neighbor to do it, but I doubt if the police department would be interested.

3. You already files with the USPS for the postal inspectors reveiw so leave it be on the whole USPS subject (we really could care less about who ownes the boxes) since you already reporetd it to them. I was clarifying the fact that the USPS stated that the boxes belonged to them.4.

Unless you know for a FACT it was the property manager who did it, you can end up on the short end of expensive lawsuit if you accuse them withiout proof, so don;r blame them, just state FACTS!
It's already been stated!

Yes, we KNOW FOR A FACT that the property manager did it. The water department doesn't post notices (legal or fraudulent) on mailboxes. The property owner will be getting the latest notices with the photos in the mail this week.

I asked for suggestions, not a scolding!

Last edited by moved; 10-30-2011 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,484,575 times
You are coming across to me as more bothered he taped the notice on the mailbox than the fact he is trying to force people out or screw them out of money.

Tell the LL what he is doing. If he is putting notices inside people's boxes, that should definately be reported to postal authorites. But something just taped on the front doesn't seem that big of a problem. Just rip it off and throw it away if it is over your box.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,727,233 times
Lightbulb huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
No one could pick open their mailboxes until the letter was removed. The property owner has been notified, and has done nothing yet.

Last, but not least, I'm not being bullied. Try reading the original post.

The manager is harassing my neighbor, because he doesn't like him and wants him to move out. The manager is actually afraid of me, because when there's a problem, I notify the property owner. These latest water notices and photos will be sent (with delivery confirmation) with my rent check this week.
Why are the tenants 'picking open' their mailboxes? Don't you have keys.
If this letter is disrupting you picking up your mail just rip it down. However,
you mentioned earlier that the manager had 'opened' another tenants mailbox and placed a notice inside..this, is against the law...this, is mail tampering...if you don't advise this fool that he will be prosecuted then you get what you get. None of this is real rocket science.
Koale

Old 10-31-2011, 12:02 PM

You are coming across to me as more bothered he taped the notice on the mailbox than the fact he is trying to force people out or screw them out of money.

Obstructing mailboxes is illegal.

Tell the LL what he is doing. If he is putting notices inside people's boxes, that should definately be reported to postal authorites. But something just taped on the front doesn't seem that big of a problem. Just rip it off and throw it away if it is over your box.

The landlord has been notified twice, and has done nothing. But this time, he'll be forced. The sign taped over the boxes is illegal - it prevents tenants from getting into their mailboxes. If you had read more of the posts, you would have seen that it's illegal to tape things OVER mailboxes.

He's already been reported to the postal authorities, so they'll be getting in touch with the owner. There's a fine involved for mail tampering.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Why are the tenants 'picking open' their mailboxes? Don't you have keys.
If this letter is disrupting you picking up your mail just rip it down. However,
you mentioned earlier that the manager had 'opened' another tenants mailbox and placed a notice inside..this, is against the law...this, is mail tampering...if you don't advise this fool that he will be prosecuted then you get what you get. None of this is real rocket science.
Koale
The word "picking" was an error, and I apologize for it. The letter was preventing people from getting into their mailboxes, and it's not allowed per the USPS. I took the photos to the post office, and filled out the form.

Yes, the manager is a fool, and is in for a surprise - so is the property owner.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:06 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,484,575 times
I undertsand it is illegal, but how hard is it to just move the paper to get to your mailbox? Or why didn't you just rip it down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting