Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,122 times

Advertisements

LONG STORY short, I will elaborate if need be, but hopefully I can get some answers.

The day we start moving all our furniture out , maintenance is in our apartment to do their routine building check and we let him know the night before the closet ceiling leak had started again (2nd or 3rd time this had happened in the past year). He said he would handle it along with the other small problems he saw.

2 weeks go by and we are ready to start moving out the left over random crap in our apartment. I stop by after work and almost slip stepping into the bathroom. I walk back out and realize the entire bedroom carpet is soaked. The leak was never fixed. I reported the issue to the 24 hour line and someone came tore up the closet ceiling and pulled back the carpet to air dry and after a few days they cut the under padding and replaced it.

Over the next week I begin to monitor the leak after they fixed it (scraped the ceiling and patched it up).
After a few days the ceiling is wet again and I let them know it is still leaking and it appears as if they just patched it again. I come back a few days later and discover the ceiling had collasped from a water bubble that had started and the entire closet was soaked. They completely fixed the leak and patched up the ceiling and left the carpet as is to air dry.

The management is charging $324 to replace the carpet (they give their carpet a 5 year life and it was brand new when we moved in, lived there for 3 years).

They are telling me the carpet is being replaced due to the pet damage and that 2 weeks of water soaked carpet doesn't warrant them to have to replace it?

I cannot imagine how a carpet can be considered safe from mold or not have to be replaced after sitting and water and the only treatment is air dry??? Thanks for any input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 07:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Did your pets damage the carpet?
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting