Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

4 posts, read 16,871 times

Advertisements

I was charged $12,000 today for vacuuming up (I'd approximate 10 gallons of water) from my apartment floor and the floor of the apartment below me. They replaced about 10 feet of rubber on the bottoms of the walls, they didn't touch the carpet, wood, or walls. They left approximately 10 fans and 3 dehumidifiers for days.

I am right to think that they are trying to manipulate me because I'm young, correct?

I do not have homeowners/renters insurance because I'm living in graduate school housing and it is not recommended.
The company used was chosen by the school without conferring with me in any regard.

Please help me! Tell me I'm not insane to think that this is about $10,000 too much and there must be a mistake !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 07:06 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Can you say a little bit more about what state you are in?
Why was there flooding, was there a storm or was it a problem with something like a washing machine?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
If you are in housing at an educational facility, most states specifically exclude those arrangements from landlord tenant laws. They become internal school issues not covered by regular rental procedures and often excluded from small claims actions as well. You fight through the school's administratve process or governing body and if unable to get satisfaction, a traditional civil court lawsuit usally is the only recourse.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 PM

They vacuumed the damp floor of three rooms, they replaced about two square feet of drywall and replaced approximately 15 feet of rubber stripping. They worked for approximately 8 hours and they left fans and three dehumidifers. On campus housing, yes. State of California.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:04 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YbarraSpangard View Post
They vacuumed the damp floor of three rooms, they replaced about two square feet of drywall and replaced approximately 15 feet of rubber stripping. They worked for approximately 8 hours and they left fans and three dehumidifers. On campus housing, yes. State of California.
Why was there water that needed to be cleaned up and dried out?

Did you let the tub overflow? Did a pipe burst in the wall? Did your aquarium leak?

If you did something negligent to cause the water problem, you will be responsible for the clean up and repairs.

If there was a burst pipe or the roof leaks, you should be off the hook.

That being said, $12,000 sounds like a lot for what you describe. $1200 sounds more reasonable. Do you have the decimal in the right place?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 PM

It was a tub overflow, but I agree that 12,000 is way too much. 1,200 sounded normal. They're insisting (angrilly I might add) that this is a normal charge for vacuuming three rooms, renting fans and replacing about two square feet of dry wall. That is the EXHAUSTIVE list of what they did. That's it.
They're yelling at me, but I'm right to think they're robbing me right?

Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YbarraSpangard View Post
It was a tub overflow, but I agree that 12,000 is way too much. 1,200 sounded normal. They're insisting (angrilly I might add) that this is a normal charge for vacuuming three rooms, renting fans and replacing about two square feet of dry wall. That is the EXHAUSTIVE list of what they did. That's it.
They're yelling at me, but I'm right to think they're robbing me right?
I have a single family home in GA.

Due to something stupid I did, I flooded my kitchen and had it leak through the floor and the ceiling in the room underneath.

I cleaned it up myself and repainted the downstairs ceiling.

I cannot envision paying $12,000 for someone to do what I did.

I paid $15,000 for repair of a roof leak that caused hidden damage, taking down some sheet rock (a tall wall that required scaffolding), replacing and repainting the sheet rock, and completely ripping out the floor on an outside sunporch, rebuilding it, and installing new tile. This was probably a higher than average price because the porch has been a recurring problem and I wanted it done once and forever. The porch job also included replacing and repainting water damaged siding on the outside of the house.

The person who did the work charged me the actual cost of materials and I paid an agreed price for the labor.

So, yes, I think $12,000 is too much for what you are describing.

Make them give you an itemized bill for materials and labor. I also suspect the school owns the fans and did not need to rent them. If they do not own them, they need to give you a receipt for the rental.

After you get the itemized bill, if it still totals $12,000, you will need to seek legal advice.

Edited to add: You could call a company (say ServiceMaster) that does work like that that and run the scenario by them. See what they would have charged.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
YbarraSpangard...don't pay their phony bill....they're definately trying to RIP you off....tell them to take you to court!....no judge would go for that.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
You didn't have a discussion about price before they started?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 PM

No, manderly. The University chose to call them in and have them do work without conferring with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting