U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 PM

3,103 posts, read 3,349,166 times

Advertisements

Guys, I am ON FIRE right now.

I live in North Carolina.

I work from home. My landlord just showed up on my doorstep as I was running a client teleconference - NOT GOOD. To make matters worse, when I put the call on mute and was trying to deal with them, I accidentally disconnected the call

(that one was my fault).

I have told these people I work from home. They have not respected it. Today I got very angry and explained that my job could actually be in danger from this (it's a difficult client) and rent would then be a problem if I were unemployed. I also said that they are required to give me notice as that is standard landlord/tenant law. I don't know what the required notice is in NC, but I'll look it up.

This was not an emergency. It was a step toward a repair I've been asking about every month and I need it done, but it's even worse that they showed up unannounced today.

The landlord is pissed, I'm pissed. I know that in general people don't understand that when you work from home it doesn't mean you make your own hours and are free to do anything, but the landlord tenant issue here is the notice needed.

I may not get this repair done (though the contracted repairman seemed sympathetic and scheduled an appointment for next week). Dammit! It's as if they walked into my conference room in the middle of a presentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

17,399 posts, read 22,980,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Guys, I am ON FIRE right now.
This was not an emergency.
The landlord is pissed, I'm pissed.
Feel better?

Quote:
I have told these people I work from home. They have not respected it.
Unfortunately... that respect aspect isn't (likely to be) a matter at law.
This is all about the willingness to get along at the personal level.
And in the case of a bigger LL operation having good notes about that.

Quote:
I may not get this repair done
(though the contracted repairman seemed sympathetic and scheduled an appointment for next week).
That sort of independent scheduling (generally a major PITA btw)
might be the solution but it might just as easily lead to a different set of problems.

Talk to the person at the highest level available on the property manager to LL continuum...
and then follow that up in writing.

hth

Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Feel better?

Unfortunately... that respect aspect isn't (likely to be) a matter at law.
This is all about the willingness to get along at the personal level.
And in the case of a bigger LL operation having good notes about that.

That sort of independent scheduling (generally a major PITA btw) might be the solution but it might just as easily lead to a different set of problems.

Talk to the person at the highest level available on the property manager to LL continuum... and then follow that up in writing.

hth
Thanks I do feel a little better after that rant...

I can't find anything in the NC statues about the amount of notice required but I haven't looked that closely yet. It's a single family home, privately owned, no property manager...the wife in the husband/wife landlord couple is a little off. While I'd like to get along at the personal level, I need notice before they enter for non-emergency repairs. Once her son showed up four hours early to change out a carpet which also caused some work issues. I will send them a certified letter about this later after I calm down a bit.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,994,217 times
Quote:
My landlord just showed up on my doorstep as I was running a client teleconference - NOT GOOD.
What would you do if the mailman came to your door? Or a salesman? Or a neighbor? People are going to come to your door - that's a given - and if it's not a convenient time, you tell them so. Why not do the same with the landlord?

Quote:
I know that in general people don't understand that when you work from home it doesn't mean you make your own hours and are free to do anything,
I've worked from home, and that can be true - but it's very simple to say politely, "sorry, I'm in the middle of a meeting, can you give me a call later and schedule a time for you to come over?" Just be firm and polite, and don't leave any doubt that they will not be coming in today.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
What would you do if the mailman came to your door? Or a salesman? Or a neighbor? People are going to come to your door - that's a given - and if it's not a convenient time, you tell them so. Why not do the same with the landlord?

I've worked from home, and that can be true - but it's very simple to say politely, "sorry, I'm in the middle of a meeting, can you give me a call later and schedule a time for you to come over?" Just be firm and polite, and don't leave any doubt that they will not be coming in today.

It's happened and they left immediately (the mailman wouldn't have lingered anyway) - however, there's no expectation of notice from the mailman...the salesman wouldn't be allowed in regardless...the neighbors actually have had to be told twice, but they leave immediately too. Landlords are required to give notice for non-emergency repairs.

I was polite the first few times, and was polite this time until they wouldn't leave and wanted to come in, and I disconnected the call accidentally. This has been an ongoing situation for months - I am done being polite.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,994,217 times
Polite AND firm. Just polite isn't enough sometimes, but polite and firm works 99% of the time!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM

17,399 posts, read 22,980,760 times
Quote:
I can't find anything in the NC statues about the amount of notice required but I haven't looked that closely yet.
I'm new to NC and have never had property here...
but I have tried reading through the law a few times. Argh!

The general theme with notice laws is that absent obvious fire or flood like conditions where they need to act to protect their property... the LL is supposed to give at least 24hrs notice of an intent to enter and then to say what that is for.

But when they're sending a 3rd party out to do something you requested...
all that gets thrown out the window

Quote:
I will send them a certified letter about this later after I calm down a bit.
Good.

fwiw... I'm seeing a scenario where the contractor had been requested to do the work...
and maybe it had been scheduled for <whenever>... then the guy calls up your LL to say
they have an afternoon free... "want it done now?" LL says "sure".

hth

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM

826 posts, read 1,679,541 times
I thought that the notice was required when the tenant was NOT home.

Since you ARE home, I don't feel that the landlord necessarily needs to give you notice. It would be nice, but I don't feel its required.

Its no different than the post-man ringing your bell to make a delivery that requires a signature. Or some door-to-door salesman doing his rounds.
Or soliciting to buy mormon bibles or whatnot.

You can always choose to simply ignore the knock at the door.
If that call was THAT important.. why are you jeopardizing it by answering an announced stranger at your door??? Get your priorities in order man!

If they come in right away, THEN its a major problem.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM

22,136 posts, read 26,279,267 times
What a lot of daft comments and particularly when the information is easy enough to find on a quick google. North Carolina landlord tenant laws require that unless in the case of emergency, landlords are required to give tenants minimum 24 hours written notice of intention to enter the premises.

I don't blame the OP for being ticked off as this wasn't an emergency but a call to make a repair which could very easily have been scheduled and of which she could have been advised even if a definite time might not have been able to have been given. I very much doubt that she would have been ticked off if the LL had even called her the night before and said, "I'll be coming by with the repairman some time tomorrow between 10 and 2 if that's OK", but a mere unannounced arrival of course is both rude, intrusive and certainly cause for reminding the LL of the laws.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Polite AND firm. Just polite isn't enough sometimes, but polite and firm works 99% of the time!
I know...I'm just so angry because they couldn't have picked a worse time to show up. This particular client is so difficult and others might be understanding.
Sometimes clients take issue with working from home at all, but that's how it works in my company. My coworker once had a client make a former complaint because her dog barked during a teleconference and it caused major problems for her (my dog barked today too!) (different client).

Oh well. Hopefully the dust will settle and it'll work out well for all.

I need to buy a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting