Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter2011 View Post
If the LL breaks the law by NOT putting the SD into an interest bearing account, is he still able to deduct any $? I don't give a darn about the interest - I want to know what the implications of this law are on returning the SD. Or are any penalties for breaking the law separate from the concept of wear/tear despite the fact that the LL took a tenant's money and claimed it as his own (by not putting it into an acct in the tenant's name)?
Like I said, I don;t see anything that addresses what happens if the law wasn;t followed and you already terminated occupancy. While renting, you appear to have had options, but now that its over, not sure if they have anything you can use. One thing to know is that unless the law specifically states that they forfiet any claims to damages or money owed, even if they couldn;t use the security deposit and must retrun it, the LL may still have the right to sue you for any monies owed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM

12 posts, read 46,073 times
Thanks!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Just a side comment...

Right now my trust account at a major bank is paying .14 of one percent...

This works out to 14 cents per year for every hundred dollars...

Being pragmatic, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to recover $1.40 in interest for a thousand dollar deposit held for 12 months.

Some of these interest requirements were written at a time when 10% or higher was the norm...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-10-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just a side comment...
Being pragmatic...
Being pragmatic... the point of the the law is to protect tenants from irresponsible landlords who couldn't come up with the SD money when the time came to pay it out and was written (I suspect) at a time when many were still operating on a "cash basis" with few records.

But absent a LL not being able to refund the money then...
(with or without any adjustments)....
at the pragmatic level there is no issue to be pursued.

hth

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But absent a LL not being able to refund the money then...
(with or without any adjustments)....
That is one of my fears - that he put it in his own account and is using it to pay for the massive renovation he's doing on another property (and all of his properties are for sale too...)
Again, it's not the interest that I care about

Old 11-08-2011, 01:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
That is one of my fears - that he put it in his own account and is using it to pay for the massive renovation he's doing on another property (and all of his properties are for sale too...)
Again, it's not the interest that I care about
With all due respect, what he does with it (unless by state law he's required to keep it in a separate account) is not any business of the tenant and not his concern. If for any reason he doesn't return the security deposit as required by law then a tenant has ample recourse in the courts.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With all due respect, what he does with it (unless by state law he's required to keep it in a separate account)
With all due respect, let me respond with a quote from you

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
NJ state landlord tenant laws require that a LL who rents out more than two rental units in a building in which he the LL is NOT an owner-occupier, the security deposit is required to be deposited into a separate interest-bearing account for the duration of the lease.
I'll wait and see what happens... *fingers crossed*

Old 11-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'll wait and see what happens... *fingers crossed*
How about *directly* asking the LL (in writing)?
What bank? what account number?

Be sure to ask him to reply in writing as well.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How about *directly* asking the LL (in writing)?
What bank? what account number?

Be sure to ask him to reply in writing as well.
Before doing so you should ask yourself, do you really want to annoy the landlord over such a petty concern? Such that he may refuse to renew your lease when it expires?

It really is of no consequence to you what he does with his accounts as long as he is able to refund your security deposit when it is due. Even if he kept the deposites in an interest bearing account, he could still use that as collateral for a loan to pay for renovations, etc.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It really is of no consequence to you what he does with his accounts as long as he is able to refund your security deposit when it is due.
which is exactly what the posters concern was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting