U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times

Advertisements

I currently have a tenant who has not re-signed/updated his lease (should have done so in June) and has not fully paid his rent for the month of October (still owes $250) and has not paid Novembers rent either. ($1000)
I'm fully aware of the typical eviction process in the state of NH but what rights do I have at this point in a "lock-out"/kicking him out since he does not have a signed/renewed lease?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,488,352 times
No, I don't believe so. He is a "holdover" tenant. Look at NH's laws on holdover tenants, but I think you still have to evict them. I could be wrong, of course.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM

3,783 posts, read 4,721,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Maloney View Post
I currently have a tenant who has not re-signed/updated his lease (should have done so in June) and has not fully paid his rent for the month of October (still owes $250) and has not paid Novembers rent either. ($1000)
I'm fully aware of the typical eviction process in the state of NH but what rights do I have at this point in a "lock-out"/kicking him out since he does not have a signed/renewed lease?
None what you seek does not exist in any state.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM

525 posts, read 439,317 times
Lock him out and you will get sued .

Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM

22,573 posts, read 27,305,494 times
Once the lease wasn't renewed and you basically did nothing about that, the tenant automatically went to a month to month agreement under the same terms and conditions of the original lease. You should find the answers to your questions here:

New Hampshire Landlord Tenant Law

And no, you cannot lock him out but must abide by the laws.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM

17,743 posts, read 24,091,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Maloney View Post
Anyone want to start a pool for what brand of big screen TV he's getting?

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the typical eviction process in the state of NH
Then follow them. You have a M2M tenant at this point.

Quote:
but what rights do I have at this point in a "lock-out"/kicking him out...
None whatsoever.
Start with the "pay or quit".

Quote:
since he does not have a signed/renewed lease?
He is under no obligation to renew his lease.

Many LL's prefer to have tenants "roll over" into a M2M tenancy after the initial lease period expires;
the T's still have to pay rent though.

hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting