U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,611 times
Default Does a landlord have to provide carpet?

Hi everybody! This is my first post and I was wondering about something. I've searched the web and this forum and couldn't find an answer to my question. Here goes:

I'm currently renting a garage apartment and when I looked at the place the landlord was still working on it. He promised me however that the place would be finished by the time I moved in. I assumed "finished" meant carpet and window treatments. So I agreed. However, after I paid him the rent, security deposit and last month's rent he informed me that he would not install carpet until the next tenant comes along.... Is he obligated to provide carpet? Or do I have to buy that myself? The rent is pretty steep ($ 725.00) for a small apartment without carpet and window coverings. I'm on a concrete floor and it's starting to get cold (I'm in the Seattle area). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:43 PM

21,124 posts, read 23,926,340 times
I don't believe there are any states which require that a LL provide any particular type of flooring in a rental unit and certainly not window treatments. It's easy enough to put up curtains or shades and you can purchase a carpet or rugs for the floor to make the place warmer. If money's an issue you can often pick up great deals on rugs and carpeting at yard sales and thrift stores!

One thing, though. Is the apartment legal? In other words, does he have a certificate of occupancy for the apartment? It's something you might want to check on. Google, "Washington landlord tenant laws". Good luck and hope you stay warm!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

357 posts, read 382,878 times
Call your local housing authority. Landlord/tenant laws are different everywhere.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the advice. I didn't buy any carpet yet because I thought that the landlord had to provide it. Guess I'm going carpet/rug shopping at yard sales and thrift stores

Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM

5,208 posts, read 7,431,009 times
How odd. I understand the window treatments but a cement floor? I guess it was a question that should have been asked before moving in but I can see why you didnt think of it. Invest in a nice rug and then move out when your lease is up if you are not happy with the flooring situation.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,718,107 times
Its not a simple answer because often state laws address only the basics of habitability. However some states and possibly many local communities will have additional regulations depending on the classification of the rental or the type of rental. You will need to research your state laws but more important any local regulations.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM

14,223 posts, read 19,318,459 times
By almost any standards a concrete floor would be considered unfinished. Given the price you are paying and the fact that it may be an illegal garage conversion. I think you should advise him that you had expected carpet and its not unreasonable for you to insist that he provide it. Why would he wait for the next tenant to come along before providing it? Why doesn't he think you deserve a carpeted floor? Sadly your mistake was paying him the rent and deposited before he had finished the remodeling, without a clear understanding of what you were entitled to. But I would not give up on insisting on getting the carpet. That is the minimum that most apartments provide. And if you ask for it nicely, there are only two answers he can respond with, one of them is yes.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. I didn't think to ask about the carpet because he said it would be finished by the time I moved in and I automatically assumed that he meant carpet I asked him about it yesterday afternoon and he said that he was financially strapped and that he would put in new carpet throughout the whole apartment when I move out. There is carpet in the hallway, kitchen and bedroom, just not in the living room which is 12 x 13 feet. I said I thought it was kind of odd that other renters would get carpet and I don't. He didn't answer that, just repeated that he doesn't have any money. He offered me gas money though to go the carpet store but I declined. It is a weird situation to say the least. I Googled the landlord/tenant laws but I can't find anything that says he's obligated to provide carpet. Oh well, my loss, live & learn. I'll just buy a nice rug, like fallingwater said, and move out when my lease is up (and take my rug with me )

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM

17,580 posts, read 19,092,950 times
Carpet in the kitchen? That seems kind of odd.
Gas money to go to the carpet store? That is just weird. What did he offer you? 10$?

You can see it coming. This LL is going to try and do everything to keep your deposit. Make sure there is no damage to the place and make sure you get a documented walk through when your lease is up.

Pesonally if it was me I would validate it was a legal aparmtment in the hopes it wasn't and try to get out of the lesae.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM

21,124 posts, read 23,926,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
By almost any standards a concrete floor would be considered unfinished. .
I beg to disagree. As long as there is no flooding and no mold issues and nothing else which renders the leased premises "uninhabitable", a concrete floor in and of itself isn't cause of a lease breach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Carpet in the kitchen? That seems kind of odd
I've never heard of any residential unit having a carpeted kitchen.

I rather doubt that this "apartment" is legal but it's up to the OP to determine how to progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting