Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,470 times

Advertisements

Some b-tch parked in my spot for a few days the first week I moved into my new apt.
I was forced to take her inferior spot during that time, until I ran into her.
All I had to do was give her a look and she stopped.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 02:52 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Some b-tch parked in my spot for a few days the first week I moved into my new apt.
I was forced to take her inferior spot during that time, until I ran into her.
All I had to do was give her a look and she stopped.
yea you'll have the bully in any complex. they're all talk though,because if you ask what the problem is they say "nothing"

Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Yes. It's great! I only had to have someone's car towed once in 9.5 years.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
We are lucky, our one place has plenty of parking on site. Our bigger complex has one space per bedroom. Overflow can park on the street. We haven't had a problem other than our lot is a handy place for people's cars that break down to push them into.

We give such folks about a 12 hour grace period to deal with it, then I call the tow company.

Our rule is anybody parked in someone's reserved space can be towed by the tenant. This is authorized with the tow company. There are different laws on this so check locally. Some places only the owner can call, etc.

We have actually never had to tow anyone. Though I had to threaten one guy and one broken down passerby got back to his car just as the tow truck was pulling in.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 PM

804 posts, read 2,891,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
are there any rules in places for assigned spaces? like for people not liking to park in their own spot but readily parking in someone elses? fines? being put out of your apartment?

just asking.
Yes they work. When we lived in an apartment it had assigned parking spot. You had one assigned, marked and covered parking spot.

We had a problem with a tenant who lived near us always parking in our spot or allowing his girlfriend to park in out spot because it was near his.

We kindly asked him once to move it and got some attitude and 10 minutes later the car was not moved so we woke up the manager on call at 2 am and made him come out and tell them to move it. The Manager was very ticked off, not at us but the fact the other tenant would not move the car. It became such a problem the guy who lived there actually got evicted after a couple month because he could not get through his head it was our parking spot not his.

The excuses he gave were it was cold outside and his girlfriend did not want to walk from the general parking area so if our spot was open she would take it or she would take his then he had to take ours.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Oh and we did see one guy who parked in another guys spot and the owner of the spot hooked onto his car with chains fron his truck and drug it throught the complex into the street and left it.. it was then towed by the city because it was partially blocking the street.
Not legal but funny.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:49 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
Yes they work. When we lived in an apartment it had assigned parking spot. You had one assigned, marked and covered parking spot.

We had a problem with a tenant who lived near us always parking in our spot or allowing his girlfriend to park in out spot because it was near his.

We kindly asked him once to move it and got some attitude and 10 minutes later the car was not moved so we woke up the manager on call at 2 am and made him come out and tell them to move it. The Manager was very ticked off, not at us but the fact the other tenant would not move the car. It became such a problem the guy who lived there actually got evicted after a couple month because he could not get through his head it was our parking spot not his.

The excuses he gave were it was cold outside and his girlfriend did not want to walk from the general parking area so if our spot was open she would take it or she would take his then he had to take ours.

maybe i need to move to the state you are. people here are lax about spaces which come with the lease. when i get home sometimes,there will be the same idiot with the same 2 or 3 cars he borrows from someone in my spot. i calmly walk upstairs because its been a problem before and the landlord doesnt live on site so he'll say nothing and i'll tell the guy "move you f'n car!" and thats the nice way. he cops an attitude.....but then goes downstairs and moves his car.

i mentioned calling the police once and he got so scared, he all but begged me not to because he has warrants. some people never learn

Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
maybe i need to move to the state you are. people here are lax about spaces which come with the lease. when i get home sometimes,there will be the same idiot with the same 2 or 3 cars he borrows from someone in my spot. i calmly walk upstairs because its been a problem before and the landlord doesnt live on site so he'll say nothing and i'll tell the guy "move you f'n car!" and thats the nice way. he cops an attitude.....but then goes downstairs and moves his car.

i mentioned calling the police once and he got so scared, he all but begged me not to because he has warrants. some people never learn
Next time tell him one more time and I will call the cops. But only threaten that if you will actually do it. The cop will just tell him to move it but it is a civil matter since it is private property so it's merely a suggestion, but hopefully the neighbor won't know that.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,501 times
Back in California, parking was pretty tight on my street. I lived in a small complex with a small lot with about 8 or so spots.

There were a few instances where I'd come home from work with nowhere to park thanks to someone taking my spot. I called the cops and they sent out a tow truck, but they weren't able to tow it because each spot had to be individually numbered/lettered, and I had to be able to show my lease stating that I have spot 4 or whatever.

Since it was such a small lot, none of the spots were labled like this, everyone just knew which was theirs. There was a sign stating it was for resident parking only though, which was their other requirement.

I called the management company, but they weren't willing to individually label the spots. I guess if I wanted to push it, I could have asked for a reduction in rent since the lease says I get the use of 3 parking spots, and that turned out not to be the case, but I had a decent relationship with them and was moving soon anyway, so I didn't find it worth pushing.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
Yep, assigned spots work so long as you have the ability to enforce it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting