Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,970 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I apologize if there have been similar situations but I have not found one that is unique as the one I am in. I am currently a student, and wanted to find a place closer to campus and have not had much luck. I am on scholarship that is not taxable (ROTC) which is reported but not taxed. It pays Food/tution/board ect... I have applied to several places and have been denied 3 for lack of employment and the fourth for rental history ( which I have none). If it matters, my credit isn't awesome but I have paid all debt and is reflected so on the three major agencies. I am now 25 and feel pretty silly applying for a dorm. Any help from the perspective of an LL or tenants in similar situations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 01:13 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Look for a placed owned by an individual rather than a corporation, and be charming. Provide character references to make up for your lack of a renting history. Provide documentation of your ROTC funding.

Good luck.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
College town? I would think there are at least some landlords that would be OK with students in your situation...

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,970 times
I thought so to Chet, I have tried various locations that are within 10 miles of the campus and willing to go to 15 but no more. I do have personal references, but I am not the "charming" type its a fatal flaw that I am desperately trying to work on ( ask my girlfriend ). But it Had occured to me that I was trying to get an apartment on my own, would it be better to try to get a place with roommates? I just have heard horror stories, which I am sure are all over this forum, about roommates who don't get along/pay bills ect. so I am skeptical, most friends I know up there are A) in dorms or B) commute. Thanks for the help Frostnip and Chet. any other advice would be helpful. This forum is useful thnx

Old 12-12-2011, 07:41 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0706 View Post
I thought so to Chet, I have tried various locations that are within 10 miles of the campus and willing to go to 15 but no more. I do have personal references, but I am not the "charming" type its a fatal flaw that I am desperately trying to work on ( ask my girlfriend ). But it Had occured to me that I was trying to get an apartment on my own, would it be better to try to get a place with roommates? I just have heard horror stories, which I am sure are all over this forum, about roommates who don't get along/pay bills ect. so I am skeptical, most friends I know up there are A) in dorms or B) commute. Thanks for the help Frostnip and Chet. any other advice would be helpful. This forum is useful thnx
I think you are being wise to avoid both dorms and roommates. I hope that you find something to your liking. Here are my suggests, have you considered placing your own ad? Or, posting on a bulletin board on campus. I think that you might find a LL that would like to help someone in your position, as a LL I know that I would. Also, a parental co-signer might seal the deal. I would also seek word of mouth, put some feelers out w/ your friends on campus, or your girlfriends
friends, they might know someone. Here is N.D. there are ppl that rent rooms in their own homes, that might even be an option if you can research your offers and feel comfortable about them. Good luck, and thanks for being ROTC!!!

Last edited by JanND; 12-12-2011 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: sentence structure

Old 12-12-2011, 05:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
If you have the option and are able, drive around different neighborhoods that likely have apartments owned by private LLs. Most private LL will put out thier own signs(not an agency). Look in the classifieds to see ads that are not a complex, maybe a small building or duplex that is privately owned and managed. Those are the people who you will get the opportunity to present yourself and the facts. It will be more likely to get approval from a private LL.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Shane, great idea. yes, lots of the mom/pop type LandLords just put a sign in the yard. Can you wear your uniform to go look at apts? Drive, bike, or walk around a good radius of area near campus. Dont be too shy, shaek hands, and look em in the eye, us older folks like that. good luck.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
I agree that having roommates would be less than ideal, but if it comes to that, how about finding someone in your ROTC unit?

I assume you have some sort of official documentation showing the source and amount of your ROTC money. If not, I would get a letter from your CO with that information.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Does your school not have information on housing other than dorms? After all, many college students are married and have families.

Check with your professors. Sometimes they might know someone with a garage apartment or other rental properties.

Ask your fellow students to keep an eye out in their neighborhoods. Where do the other ROTC folks live?

Have you learned about "command presence" yet? It's not charm, by any means, but if you have it, it tends to make a favorable impression.

How Command Presence Commands Respect

If it is allowed, I second the suggestion to wear your uniform when you look at apartments.

And turn off your cell phone.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0706 View Post
Hi,

I apologize if there have been similar situations but I have not found one that is unique as the one I am in. I am currently a student, and wanted to find a place closer to campus and have not had much luck. I am on scholarship that is not taxable (ROTC) which is reported but not taxed. It pays Food/tution/board ect... I have applied to several places and have been denied 3 for lack of employment and the fourth for rental history ( which I have none). If it matters, my credit isn't awesome but I have paid all debt and is reflected so on the three major agencies. I am now 25 and feel pretty silly applying for a dorm. Any help from the perspective of an LL or tenants in similar situations would be appreciated.
Wait...does your scholarship pay for your housing? If so, that should be easy money for a LL and I don't know why they would deny you. Basically as OkieDokie said, if you can get documentation of this fact that should help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting