Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM

310 posts, read 1,356,973 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the answers so far, I appreciate it. I thought about it, and I also don't think it's the best idea, like one poster said you still pay lot rent and that will never change so... Now, I'm thinking maybe moving in with the parents for a bit just so we can save up some money. With nothing left over after bills, we STILL don't even have decent furniture or more than just 1 vehicle. I can't afford a car payment on TOP of everything else. I don't see how people do it. Do they go into debt or something, is that how they do it? That's one thing we haven't allowed to happen. We are behind on some bills, but not 1000's in debt. My bf and I just graduated high school RIGHT as the economy and gas prices got crazy. Older people I know at least had a chance to find a good job, accumulate a fair amount of furniture, and establish a decent savings. Then some lost those jobs. It's just hard. I don't feel like wasting all my time and energy just to pay a mortgage/rent and not have anything left over for much else. What kind of life is that? It's merely surviving, not living. Maybe we aren't the only ones in this situation. It sucks. Here's hoping the economy will pick back up sooner rather than later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Thanks for all the answers so far, I appreciate it. I thought about it, and I also don't think it's the best idea, like one poster said you still pay lot rent and that will never change so... Now, I'm thinking maybe moving in with the parents for a bit just so we can save up some money. With nothing left over after bills, we STILL don't even have decent furniture or more than just 1 vehicle. I can't afford a car payment on TOP of everything else. I don't see how people do it. Do they go into debt or something, is that how they do it? That's one thing we haven't allowed to happen. We are behind on some bills, but not 1000's in debt. My bf and I just graduated high school RIGHT as the economy and gas prices got crazy. Older people I know at least had a chance to find a good job, accumulate a fair amount of furniture, and establish a decent savings. Then some lost those jobs. It's just hard. I don't feel like wasting all my time and energy just to pay a mortgage/rent and not have anything left over for much else. What kind of life is that? It's merely surviving, not living. Maybe we aren't the only ones in this situation. It sucks. Here's hoping the economy will pick back up sooner rather than later.
It is difficult, especially when you are young. It might be a good idea to move back home, but please make sure you at least offer to pay for your expenses while living there.

Many people in your position get a second job. If you and your boyfriend both got second jobs (even part time ones), that would boost your income dramatically. If you have a "smart phone", you might consider dropping down to a feature phone that does not require a smart phone plan. Eating out can be very expensive. Just two pizzas at Dominos is usually about $30. For that money you could buy enough food at the grocery store to feed two people for several days.

If you cannot live without internet access (and these days I know it's really difficult NOT to have it), then you might consider going to a less expensive plan or even dial up to save money. If you can live without it, then try going to the Library for a while to access your email or other important online-things (like city data).

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
My bf and I just graduated high school RIGHT as the economy and gas prices got crazy.
It sounds as though you must still be in your 20s. Please believe me when I tell you that having used furniture and only one car was NORMAL for most middle class people in their 20s who were just starting out - until it started being acceptable to go deeply into debt. Where a lot of people who are young now have gone wrong is thinking that they should be able to have everything - new possessions, huge house - immediately - without any financial consequences. That's just not how it works. Part of the reason the economy is bad now is that people overspent just because they wanted to have it all immediately. You are doing very well not to have fallen into the debt trap.

Take advantage of your youth - work on building your education and work skills so that you will have more earning power eventually. Study City-Data and find a new, less expensive city to live in. Rent a cheap apartment or used mobile home with used furniture and maybe even have NO car as you build up your savings, education and skills. If you do that you'll EVENTUALLY have it all. DO NOT move home with your parents! Be a grown-up. You an make it work, and you'll be far more proud of yourselves in the long run. (You'll also have a better chance of making your relationship last.)

To answer your thread's original question, there's nothing wrong with mobile homes - but it probably would be best to RENT one rather than buy one. And visit the local police department to find out about crime statistics in the mobile home park.

What I say, and all of the older people I know say, is that the time when we were young and poor and small things meant a lot was the best time in our lives.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is difficult, especially when you are young. It might be a good idea to move back home, but please make sure you at least offer to pay for your expenses while living there.

Many people in your position get a second job. If you and your boyfriend both got second jobs (even part time ones), that would boost your income dramatically. If you have a "smart phone", you might consider dropping down to a feature phone that does not require a smart phone plan. Eating out can be very expensive. Just two pizzas at Dominos is usually about $30. For that money you could buy enough food at the grocery store to feed two people for several days.

If you cannot live without internet access (and these days I know it's really difficult NOT to have it), then you might consider going to a less expensive plan or even dial up to save money. If you can live without it, then try going to the Library for a while to access your email or other important online-things (like city data).

20yrsinBranson
Thanks. I don't own a smart phone. Straight talk from walmart $45 phone card. Cheapest I've found. Phone was $35. I do have a job doing medical transcription online from my home, so I kinda have to have the internet (and I can live without city-data.com). What really makes things hard is I have 2 kids to take care of, which is partly why I got this online career going. It doesn't pay that great as it's production based. Things were better a few years ago for us. We were renting a nice little townhome with a garage, attic, and nice sized yard, had a giant wooden swingset for the kids, no debt. Seems like ever since we bought a house of our own we've been struggling to make ends meet. Keeing up with maintenance is a *****. So now we need to make a big change and soon. My bf just got laid off a few days ago from his job he's been at for 7 years as a machine operator/supervisor for a cable drilling company. There are companies that will pay him far better than what he gets here, which we're looking into. One offered $60/hr. in California. They pay for his cost of living while there if it's just him, meaning me and the kids will have to stay behind while he travels for work. Heck for $60/hr. that's worth it to me. He was making only 20/hr here so that's a significant raise. Another company mentioned an overseas position in Iraq or somewhere in the middle east for a million dollar annual salary. That's kinda questionable in my opinion, but a lot of his work buddies say that's a normal thing. AND it's tax-free. Course, don't know if that would be entirely worth it being over in the war-zone so to speak. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
It sounds as though you must still be in your 20s. Please believe me when I tell you that having used furniture and only one car was NORMAL for most middle class people in their 20s who were just starting out - until it started being acceptable to go deeply into debt. Where a lot of people who are young now have gone wrong is thinking that they should be able to have everything - new possessions, huge house - immediately - without any financial consequences. That's just not how it works. Part of the reason the economy is bad now is that people overspent just because they wanted to have it all immediately. You are doing very well not to have fallen into the debt trap.

Take advantage of your youth - work on building your education and work skills so that you will have more earning power eventually. Study City-Data and find a new, less expensive city to live in. Rent a cheap apartment or used mobile home with used furniture and maybe even have NO car as you build up your savings, education and skills. If you do that you'll EVENTUALLY have it all. DO NOT move home with your parents! Be a grown-up. You an make it work, and you'll be far more proud of yourselves in the long run. (You'll also have a better chance of making your relationship last.)

To answer your thread's original question, there's nothing wrong with mobile homes - but it probably would be best to RENT one rather than buy one. And visit the local police department to find out about crime statistics in the mobile home park.

What I say, and all of the older people I know say, is that the time when we were young and poor and small things meant a lot was the best time in our lives.
I did some thinking and I really don't think moving in with parents is the answer. I know I'd hate it. If we did it'd be with my bf's mom not mine as she kicked me out at 17 and we don't have the best relationship. I think what we're going to do is move first and foremost. I live in northeast Ohio right now. My family all live in Illinois. If I'm going to relocate, it might as well be somewhere I want to move to and that place is def. not back home. So I'm thinking Nashville. No state tax, friendly people, diversity, music, better weather. As far as trailers go, I think we've decided that apartment living would be worth looking into also, maybe even a better option. Trailers, even newer ones aren't that well insulated, lot rent, not as many amenities as some apartments I've seen, not really that much yard anyway. Who knows what will happen in the future or what type of housing we'll end up in. I'm starting to not give a crap about where I live, but just want to spend my time living my life outside of the same 4 walls. Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion, I appreciate it.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
I would NOT choose a trailer if I lived somewhere with hurricanes and/or tornadoes.

If I lived in a part of the country that does not have hurricanes or tornadoes, I would consider buying a trailer only if I owned the land and loved it for some other reason. (For example, perfect horse property, but house is a mobile home.) If I were renting, it wouldn't matter.

But I wouldn't buy OR rent one in an area with tornadoes.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:06 PM

447 posts, read 1,619,814 times
If you do go with an apartment, I suggest you get one that is not on the end of a building. This is because you will have two of your apartment walls exposed to outside air. Apartments often are heated with electric heat pumps, which have to run a lot harder to heat exterior wall apartments. That can get expensive! I lived in a one-bedroom with two exterior walls in Raleigh, NC and my heating bill was higher than when I moved into a 3-bed house with gas heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting