U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 AM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times

Advertisements

It seems the OP is either paranoid or has to much time on his hands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM

35 posts, read 68,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahonmind View Post
I live in an apartment complex with a neighbor above and neighbor below. One of those basic complexes, probably cheaply made apartments, no real soundproofing, etc. Nothing like brick or concrete construction.

Paranoid much?

Look, apartment living in a cheaply made building you are bound to hear your neighbors walking and talking. There are not really that many places they can go, so chances are, you'll both be in the same room at some point.

In my case, my upstairs neighbor listens to me on the phone. I'm not paranoid about it, since I could care less about her being snoopy. How do I know? Because its a trick I learned to get her to turn her stereo down. If she can hear me, she either learned she's too loud, or she is that nosey cause I'm not a loud person. But is she spying on me? No.

On a serious note, if you think she's spying on you, you might go see a therapist or counselor. My Grandpa's lady friend (or girlfriend we haven't figured out which) thinks people have planted bugs (wires) in his house, went through and covered all the knotholes in his natural log cabin with duct tape. She went to a place that took good care of her, and is no longer feeling like she's being watched. Maybe you are suffering from something similar and are unaware of that. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,474,244 times
You started this thread just about a month ago, is your new place ready?? You should be nearing the end of your 30 days notice. Have you made any efforts to move? IMO Maybe get a top floor apt. next time.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM
lz0

34 posts, read 110,502 times
This is probably a sensitization issue. I have a noise problem with my upstairs neighbors, and I'm fairly sure they're not "spying" on me, but sometimes it does seem like they just follow me from room to room, constantly stomping and banging directly over my head.

The more likely explanation is that because you are sensitized and waiting to hear their noise, your brain is selectively attaching importance to cases where the noise is near you, and ignoring the times it isn't. So it "feels" to you like you're being stalked, but in reality you're just stressed, sensitized, and a victim of your own brain's need to categorize and apply meaning to essentially random stressors.

You're basically getting false positives. It's the same reason things like astrology, numerology, palmistry, and various other woo arts continue to thrive. Throw a bunch of random data out there and see what sticks. There's just enough seeming correlation between your crackpot theory and reality for you to keep believing in it, and in some weird way it probably gives you comfort to think you're the victim of a psycho rather than just suffering randomly and meaninglessly.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,586 times
savannahonmind,

A lot of folks here want to tell you you're paranoid. You sound perfectly reasonable.

I had a similar thing happen to me. In fact, the whole following me around the apartment from above, making an inordinate amount of noise and telling the police they were "playing cards", running a laser pointer to make cats run over my head while I watched a show, dropping loud things while I worked on my computer, etc etc etc, is exactly how it proceeded. I don't have sensitization issues -- I was made a target through my floor.

It was an amazing experience. We had the police and a lawyer involved and finally just relocated. After we moved across town, this person rounded up her friends and continued to stalk/harass us. It was a mess. This woman partied, did drugs, and lied as a pastime. I would try to explain to people what was going on, but no one could fathom a person standing in the kitchen above us slamming the utensil drawer repeatedly for 45 minutes because I had washed a couple dishes. I'd flush the toilet, she'd flush it twice. Oh, I could go on.

So, no. This type of thing has happened and it wasn't down to paranoia, unfortunately. I often wondered how one could "see" through the floor and it's either careful listening, a listening amplification device, or a *very expensive* infrared device. In our case, where there was a will, there was a way.

Anyhow, some people have way too much time on their hands and way too little happiness in life -- they use all that pent up jealousy and envy to lash out at those they perceive as being better than themselves in some capacity.

And yes to everyone here: people do this. Good luck with things.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM

626 posts, read 932,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norwest View Post
savannahonmind,

A lot of folks here want to tell you you're paranoid. You sound perfectly reasonable.

I had a similar thing happen to me. In fact, the whole following me around the apartment from above, making an inordinate amount of noise and telling the police they were "playing cards", running a laser pointer to make cats run over my head while I watched a show, dropping loud things while I worked on my computer, etc etc etc, is exactly how it proceeded. I don't have sensitization issues -- I was made a target through my floor.

It was an amazing experience. We had the police and a lawyer involved and finally just relocated. After we moved across town, this person rounded up her friends and continued to stalk/harass us. It was a mess. This woman partied, did drugs, and lied as a pastime. I would try to explain to people what was going on, but no one could fathom a person standing in the kitchen above us slamming the utensil drawer repeatedly for 45 minutes because I had washed a couple dishes. I'd flush the toilet, she'd flush it twice. Oh, I could go on.

So, no. This type of thing has happened and it wasn't down to paranoia, unfortunately. I often wondered how one could "see" through the floor and it's either careful listening, a listening amplification device, or a *very expensive* infrared device. In our case, where there was a will, there was a way.

Anyhow, some people have way too much time on their hands and way too little happiness in life -- they use all that pent up jealousy and envy to lash out at those they perceive as being better than themselves in some capacity.

And yes to everyone here: people do this. Good luck with things.

im glad someone thinks the same way. i work absurdly early in the mornings and i get up to get dressed and no sooner than a step out the shower i hear them running from their bedroom and it sounds like their walking on their heels. rocking in one place for a minute then running into the kitchen.

i never thought people made noise like this to be spiteful but i guess i was wrong.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM

449 posts, read 921,731 times
We lived in an upper aptmt years ago and while I don't think any spying was going on, whenever one of us dropped something heavy (inadvertently) like something slid out of the freezer and hit the floor or knocked something over. Within 2 seconds downstairs would thump the ceiling with a broom in the same room. It was freaky. I couldn't get our broom out that fast if I tried.
This was the same family that had a baby screaming for 2-3 hours every night. Which I understand, babies are like that - just irked me that they were so quick to respond to a single thud when we heard hours of noise from them.

Last edited by midwestmom; 01-27-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM

832 posts, read 1,191,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
im glad someone thinks the same way. i work absurdly early in the mornings and i get up to get dressed and no sooner than a step out the shower i hear them running from their bedroom and it sounds like their walking on their heels. rocking in one place for a minute then running into the kitchen.

i never thought people made noise like this to be spiteful but i guess i was wrong.
My last neighbor was very spiteful. He was the owner and he lived there. He hated my family and slammed the door everytime so hard I thought it would come off the hindges. He was ridiculous. My current neighbir isn't spiteful, she's just ignorant and oblivious.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM

626 posts, read 932,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
My last neighbor was very spiteful. He was the owner and he lived there. He hated my family and slammed the door everytime so hard I thought it would come off the hindges. He was ridiculous. My current neighbir isn't spiteful, she's just ignorant and oblivious.

i hate that, the last people above me were worse, constant noise,but the people above me now dont make noise all the time but its super loud. fighting, etc etc. just terrible carrying on.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:21 AM

439 posts, read 568,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
i hate that, the last people above me were worse, constant noise,but the people above me now dont make noise all the time but its super loud. fighting, etc etc. just terrible carrying on.
i do not think any one would make you happy you seem to have many issues with what ever the op has done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting