Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddy1 View Post
LOL you're a nice owner. I take mine out in the dark, in the grass, mud, rain, snow, I live on the second floor so I subject them to going up and down stairs, AND I walk them regardless of weather. I'm such a bad owner

Welcome to the club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
And another note: walking your dog on just concrete is terrible for their feet. It can be scalding hot, and it rips up their pads (like it does to shoes).
Oh no, I only walk my dog in the mornings before the sun comes up OR in the shady evenings...never in the heat of the day, especially since my dog is brachycephalic. I HATE the sun myself & I'm never out in it in the heat of the day to walk or do any other exerise. I avoid it like the plague. I see these dog owners walking their poor dogs w/ the sun beating down & I think to myself, "Ouch, their poor feet!" How would they like it if they walked barefoot on the hot asphalt/concrete!

Quote:
Oh and on a serious note, do you not take your dog out because your agoraphobic (afraid to leave the home)?
I honestly don't have that phobia (although it may seem like I do!) I'm kind of a homebody though & I never had to take my dog outdoors to go to the bathroom all these almost 7 yrs I've had him, so it will take some adjustment since I'll be moving out for the 1st time. I literally carry him downstairs (in the 2-story home I live in) to the garage where his bathroom is or if he's already downstairs, I'll put him in the bathroom box like I said. Of course, if I'm already walking him, he'll go to the bathroom out there.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-19-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM

35 posts, read 175,382 times
You will have issues with the dog peeing in the house. If its been peeing in a building for 7 years its not going to distinguish living room from potty room. And in turn not only would you have to smell it, you risk damaging your carpet/flooring and it would come right out of your deposit. Before you move you may want to think about potty training it like normal dogs (as in outside). If it has good bladder control at least you don't have to do the every five minutes puppy needs out bit.

You claim to be out of your 20's but are saying you HATE the sun, (and outdoors) you've never lived on your own? I'm assuming you live at home. Maybe you aren't ready for it...

I'm not trying to sound mean, just stating the facts.

Last edited by speeddy1; 01-19-2012 at 09:11 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM

378 posts, read 704,939 times
I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building with my small dog. I just got up about 15 minutes earlier in the morning and 15 minutes before I left I took her outside and we did a walk (on grass, concrete, whatever). Then when I got home we did the same thing, and reluctantly before bed the same thing.

Heck if you don't want to walk her on the grass, walk her on the asphalt if it's not that hot. It's really not that difficult of a chore to do. Believe me, I was NOT a morning person so for anything else, walking up 15 minutes earlier than I normally do would not happen, but once I got my dog, things change.

Also look at it this way, walking your dog will help you meet your neighbors. Since you say she is show quality imagine the interesting comments you'll get and the conversation starter you have. It's always nice to know some of your neighbors, even for safety sake.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I think anyone too lazy to walk their own dog should second guess renting anywhere. The health department may have an issue w/ you allowing your dog to poop on an open balcony, especially since you refuse to rent a main floor apartment. I agree w/ the other poster, train your dog.....Dog's cant tell which is the living room, but they know which is outside. You must have a pug, or french bulldog....These are not teacup size dogs, they need to be outside on the ground sniffing and living a real life. Sad IMO

Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think anyone too lazy to walk their own dog should second guess renting anywhere. The health department may have an issue w/ you allowing your dog to poop on an open balcony, especially since you refuse to rent a main floor apartment. I agree w/ the other poster, train your dog.....Dog's cant tell which is the living room, but they know which is outside. You must have a pug, or french bulldog....These are not teacup size dogs, they need to be outside on the ground sniffing and living a real life. Sad IMO

My dog is 4lbs and loves to be outside!! He was very easy to housetrain and I live on the third floor and make him walk up and down those everyday! I'm so mean. lol

On the other hand...I have a friend who has a small dog who uses those stupid puppy pads things...I won't go to her house. It stinks. Bad. She claims it's housebroken...really??? Then why does the smell of dog **** burn off my nose hairs when I walk into your home? I have tried for years to get this person to train that dog..she's home all day..she has nothing better to do.

Funny thing is she comes to my house and is amazed that she can't smell my cat or my dog. You aren't supposed to smell them and if you can..you're one dirty housekeeper.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Kim in FL, I totally agree. Those pads, boxes weren't they meant for emergency like blizzards, when you can't get outside. I find folks that are so lazy they won't take their dog out, are probably too lazy to clean up those boxes, pads too. Gross.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:46 PM

35 posts, read 175,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Kim in FL, I totally agree. Those pads, boxes weren't they meant for emergency like blizzards, when you can't get outside. I find folks that are so lazy they won't take their dog out, are probably too lazy to clean up those boxes, pads too. Gross.

I wouldn't use it in a blizzard. If it came down to that...well we'd still be running outside to go.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
Quote:
I wouldn't use it in a blizzard. If it came down to that...well we'd still be running outside to go.
Us, too.
If people can train their dogs in all northern states (where we get snow and deep snow and negative temps for weeks on end) other people can do it where they get rain or whatever.

I wonder about my neighbor who seems to only walk her dog one time a day..? The dog is bigger than mine (my dog is 50 lbs). I wonder if this dog is using the floor? Shudder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting