Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM

13 posts, read 40,183 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a reference on this?
I can easily provide a receipt for damaged blinds I had to replace but how to I estimate cost/labor for left behind trash or a dirty stove or fridge that the tenants failed to clean?

I also found marijuana in the home while showing the home to perspective tenants. It was disposed of before they moved out but can I fine them for this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July2012 View Post
I can easily provide a receipt for damaged blinds I had to replace but how to I estimate cost/labor for left behind trash or a dirty stove or fridge that the tenants failed to clean?

I also found marijuana in the home while showing the home to perspective tenants. It was disposed of before they moved out but can I fine them for this?

Thanks
You check w/ a cleaning service for a standard rate, appliances should be easy to itemize. You then have itemized list along w/ applicable refund. The other, "found" item you would have had to call the cops and just turn em in. Don't know how you would justify charging them for something that is illegal, I'd just leave that alone. You should have reported it then, like I've heard that cleaning services and carpet cleaning companies do.

Last edited by JanND; 01-22-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: wording

Old 01-22-2012, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 40,183 times
Yeah we didn't report them at the time because they were getting behind on rent and we just wanted them paid in full and out of the house ASAP.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July2012 View Post

Thanks
No you have no authority to fine them.

To itemize the damages just do a reasonable estimate of how long it will take you or someone you hire to do the cleaning, apply a reasonable hourly rate to it and use those numbers. You do not have to get receipts or bids for everything when producing your itemization. As long as it is reasonable, not excessive or exaggerated, the courts will accept it should it ever come to that.

Read what your state laws say here if you have not already. State Landlord Tenant Laws

Virginia has some very specific requirements regarding interest paid on security deposits, withholding the deposit for utility payments, etc. that you should be familiar with.

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-22-2012 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting