Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

Relax and let your attorney guide you. Don't respond to the renters via text or email or phone. Simply ignore them and let the attorney handle everything.

Maybe they are paying the judgement. That would be nice to get the judgement money for back rent. If they pay extra, such as thinking they will pay December, maybe attorney can allow that to be paid toward attorney fees. If you also got a judgement for them to pay the attorney fee as well. Either way, attorney will guide you on Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
Your state may handle judgments differently but you should look into (consult your attorney) whether their payment can be considered the back rent that was also part of the judgement.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:26 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Do not accept any payment. Let the Sheriff or constable lock them out
My prediction: In a few more days we're going to see a post titled "MY LANDLORD IS A JERK AND KICKED ME OUT ON A HOLIDAY FOR NO REASON, HOW DO I SUE PLZ HLP"

Old 01-01-2012, 08:40 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
My prediction: In a few more days we're going to see a post titled "MY LANDLORD IS A JERK AND KICKED ME OUT ON A HOLIDAY FOR NO REASON, HOW DO I SUE PLZ HLP"
AND whining that Legal Aid refuses to help them.....

Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Follow the letter of the law, what the judge ruled. Consult your attorney re: note from "renters" I wouldn't let them manipulate me, the judge ruled, you follow, whatever they "renter" did/didn't understand is just another part of their problems. Do not "null void" ruling of judge, talk to your attorney, have sheriff serve them, whatever your do course of action was to be prior to the unsolicited note.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:59 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I find it hard to believe that the tenant did not understand the judge. They are playing you. Professional tenants know how to work the system. Don't you have sheriffs to make them leave where you are? Around here at noon of possession day the sheriff shows up and literally moves all their crap out into the yard/street and locks them out.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:14 PM

27 posts, read 40,298 times
This just gets better and better!

My tenant called/texted/messaged me ALL day yesterday We will not speak with her until we talk to our attorney.

Apparantly they believe that the judge ordered them to PAY "on or before" December 31st...it went from wondering if our bank was open on a Sat? (um...check online?) to can we western union the money? to can we take a pic of the money order?...finally she just stated that she TRIED to pay us on the date that the judge ordered her to and that she would contact us on monday...sigh!

Oh and as of 12/20 we had Warrant, Order and Judgement against her ~ the judge gave her till 12/31 to MOVE because of the holidays...our sheriff dept does not do residential evictions from 12/17-1/2 so the earliest we could do it would be 1/3 anyway.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Stupid is as stupid does. There is never a dull moment being a landlord. Hopefully you can continue to avoid the 'phone calls tomorrow and that you can not only get the warrant into the Sheriff's office first thing Tuesday but also get an early 'phone consult with your attorney to let him know what's going on.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
Now I'm curious if you got a default or summary judgment or if there was a hearing at which these people were present.

Around here the judge looks the tenant defendant in the eye and more or less says, "If you do not do X, Y will happen" in plain English.

From where I am sitting any money they send to you would go toward fulfilment of the judgment ordering them to pay back rent. Getting them out is one thing (good luck, and do sheriff's fees count"), getting your $$ is another. Even after they are gone if they still owe you money for the judgment they will have that hanging over their heads. Could make it hard for them to find a new place.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Around here the judge looks the tenant defendant in the eye and more or less says, "If you do not do X, Y will happen" in plain English.
Never seen that happen in my neck of the woods - the judges are way too busy to spell out everything! It sounds as though the OP has everything under control and everything has been done by the book ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting