Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times

Advertisements

Is it just the garbage and water that the Landlord is on the hook for if a tenant fails to pay them?

Do Gas and Electrical bills follow the tenant if they move out? I tried to find out if the tenant paid the gas bill but SW Gas won't release that info to me. I did get water bill info and they said I was ultimately responsible if the tenant moved out and didn't pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
You may want to post this in the C-D Real Estate section, under LandLord/Tenant.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:11 PM

Didn't know there was such a forum " C-D Real Estate section, under LandLord/Tenant" can you tell me where I might find that? Is it possibly the C-D Real Estate "Renting" section or somewhere else? Thanks

Last edited by Packrat1; 01-03-2012 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 01-03-2012, 07:21 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Thread moved. Let's see if you get some helpful responses in this area.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Is it just the garbage and water that the Landlord is on the hook for if a tenant fails to pay them?

Do Gas and Electrical bills follow the tenant if they move out? I tried to find out if the tenant paid the gas bill but SW Gas won't release that info to me. I did get water bill info and they said I was ultimately responsible if the tenant moved out and didn't pay.
It varies in your State and utility company. In PA, the gas company can put a lien on unpaid gas bill by tenant if you don't register the property correctly.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 PM

Only interested in answers regarding Clark County Las Vegas/Henderson area.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:13 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packrat1 View Post
Only interested in answers regarding Clark County Las Vegas/Henderson area.
Why don't you call the gas company and find out?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Why don't you call the gas company and find out?
OP said he called the gas company and they wouldn't give him the information.

OP this is partially what a security deposit is for if the tenant fails to pay utilities which under the lease he's required to pay. You have a certain amount of time (usually one month) to return to the tenant the security deposit less any itemized deductions. Check your state landlord tenant laws for information specific to Nevada. If they're not listed in the first "sticky" at the top of this page, google "Nevada landlord tenant laws" and you'll easily find them. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Don't know about gas but for the water bill at my rental I just call and ask that they close that account and open a new one in my name as of whatever day. I have to give a deposit like a new customer, even though they always use the same account number, but they send out the meter reader for the final bill for the tenant, and the next one is in my name. Then its their problem to collect from the former tenant. If your gas company took a deposit from your tenant, thats what THEY should use to pay the debt, not your money. Thats just my opinion though and I know all companies are different.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Here is what it looks like around here.

Water/sewer can only be in the owner's name. The town will not bill a tenant, period.

No such thing as town garbage, that is the tenant's problem unless it is included in rent.

Gas and fuel oil companies usually do such thorough credit checks, or demand payment in advance or COD that it is unikely these days that someone will be in arrears.

Electric can be in the tenant's or the LLs' name. If it is in the tenant's name and they stop paying, the electroc company will normally give them 30 days notice and then shut off the eletricity. Since fuel oil boilers require electricity to run, this means that you freeze if this happens in winter. If the LL has a continuous service agreement with the electric company, the tenant can call and have their electricity turned off, in which case service reverts to the LL's name. THis can be fun if you have a deadbeat tenant who uses this as a way to get the LL to pay their electric for a month or two. I've had this happen a couple of times and once it is in my name I can have it turned off. I froze out some dirtbags one time using this method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting