Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I agree that both parties expectations need to be addressed up front...

I suppose there is a 2 year carpet???

As to cheap carpet... I have never found anything cheaper than indoor/outdoor and it is very durable... one property had it around the spa area and still looked like new 5 years later and it was really cheap.

Most carpet dealers only sell FHA minimum of better grades of carpet.

FHA minimum is supposed to have a 7 year life.

My experience is that the majority of carpet replaced is not for wear...

Carpet is replaced for damage... stains, burns and odors.

We use a 7 year life for accounting and budgeting...

My last tenant thought she would not be getting her deposit back... she came home from the market and the bottle of bleach leaked... the living room, hall were ruined...

I told her not to worry... the carpet was new 9 years ago when you moved in and it scheduled for replacement... she recieved her deposit back in full.

If she would have moved after one year... 6/7ths the cost of replacing it would have been deducted from her deposit.

The local Housing Authority no longer uses Carpet, Tile or Hardwood at many properties. All floors in the units are industrial/commercial grade linoleum...
I've never heard of a 2 year carpet. Five year, yes. It's basically "apartment grade" and it's the cheapest residential carpet you can get. I swear, the pile lays flat if you look at it cross-eyed. The fiber is either olefin or polypropylene, and there is very little pile; you can bend the carpet and easily see the backing through the pile. Cheap cheap crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM

35 posts, read 175,368 times
Normal wear and tear on carpet is expected. But if you cleaned it yourself, it isn't the same as if a professional company came in. (If you want an example, we had a carpet cleaner at our house, then had a pro company come out when the carpet cleaner wasn't worth it...yeah it looked like we hadn't even used it.)

Besides, I'd feel safer renting knowing it was professionally cleaned, myself. Also this may have been something you were told when you signed the lease, but forgot along the way.

I know from a past tenancy, my landlord had explained if he felt the carpets were in need of more than the standard once-over cleaning, we would have to pay. Needless to say I kept the place spotless...even with 2 dogs.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I've never heard of a 2 year carpet. Five year, yes. It's basically "apartment grade" and it's the cheapest residential carpet you can get. I swear, the pile lays flat if you look at it cross-eyed. The fiber is either olefin or polypropylene, and there is very little pile; you can bend the carpet and easily see the backing through the pile. Cheap cheap crap.
One quick test is to fold the carpet sample back and see if the "Grins"

In other words, the backing is showing.

The Polypropylene big claim is it wouldn't stain... it does ugly out and generally must be replaced every time the unit turns...

Carpet is generally priced by weight...

Had a magnificent single family home owned by an airline pilot that was stationed in Australia with his family for 3 years... they had very expensive carpet... it was trashed from stains...

I can never recommend top grade carpet for a rental unless the owner has money to burn...

Old 01-18-2012, 05:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddy1 View Post
Normal wear and tear on carpet is expected. But if you cleaned it yourself, it isn't the same as if a professional company came in. (If you want an example, we had a carpet cleaner at our house, then had a pro company come out when the carpet cleaner wasn't worth it...yeah it looked like we hadn't even used it.)

Besides, I'd feel safer renting knowing it was professionally cleaned, myself. Also this may have been something you were told when you signed the lease, but forgot along the way.

I know from a past tenancy, my landlord had explained if he felt the carpets were in need of more than the standard once-over cleaning, we would have to pay. Needless to say I kept the place spotless...even with 2 dogs.
I have my own carpet cleaner and will never, ever use a "pro" company again. This cleaner does an amazing job and there is no wicking and you can do a clear water rinse so there is no cleaner residue left behind.

I had to use the company the complex used and they were a joke. A friggin joke. The carpet took two full days to dry and on the third day all the stains were back and the 'grime' was there too along with a film of cleaner. I called to complain and was told I could pay for them to come back out...sure..so they can really ruin the carpet that I am living with??? Hell to the no.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One quick test is to fold the carpet sample back and see if the "Grins"

In other words, the backing is showing.
Exactly.

Quote:
The Polypropylene big claim is it wouldn't stain... it does ugly out and generally must be replaced every time the unit turns...
It gets ugly so fast, I don't know why they bother making it.

Quote:
Carpet is generally priced by weight...
Yes, by "face weight", which is the weight of the pile.

Quote:
Had a magnificent single family home owned by an airline pilot that was stationed in Australia with his family for 3 years... they had very expensive carpet... it was trashed from stains...

I can never recommend top grade carpet for a rental unless the owner has money to burn...
Youch. Yes, I would agree with that. It's a waste to use top grade, though higher grade than "scatter some tufts on backing" is preferable, especially in higher quality rentals. We rent, and our carpet is mid-grade, but it's only in two rooms as the rest of the place is tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting