Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytoy View Post
I need advice. I called my landlord January 2 to pick up January's rent since I don't have a mailing address for him and we have had this arrangement for the past 6 or 7 years. He hasn't picked up the rent as of today or returned any of my calls. I also sent him a text message. Is this a ploy to try and get me out?? Please help!!
If he has not picked it up perhaps he is just busy, or sick. If you are on a month to month rent he can get rid of you any month with 30 day notice, so I doubt this is any kind of ploy in that regard.

If you really want to you can look up the owner's address of the property at the county tax office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Gotta love the LL who refuses their personal info. When I was rented my last place before I bought my house, the LL refused to give us a mailing address. They would come every month and pick it up. I never understood that. I never called them to come get it, they knew where it was. Sometimes he would come on the 2nd, other times not until the 10th or later. Not my problem.
I can understand the LL not letting you know where he lives. But it seems like it would be a huge pain to go by and pick up the rent. I'd just rent a PO Box and have the tenant mail it there. Although in the OP's case, he could visit his daughter when he is getting his check.

For the OP, since he has been in contact with the son-in-law, so that might help get you off the hook if he wants a late fee.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,333 times
You could check the obituaries but you would need to know what State, Municipality your LL resides in. Perhaps having the area code would give you an idea and then you could check in the newspaper. Can your neighbor, the SIL, ask his wife to let you know? I doubt it's due to wanting you out. You would have received something in the mail giving you notice to leave. Either you LL is on Vac or something happened. If he died I bet the town would have it on record somewhere.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Would the OP please return to this thread as soon as possible to advise that the LL has reappeared, otherwise I fear this is going to segue into a story of alien abduction.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflytoy View Post
I need advice. I called my landlord January 2 to pick up January's rent since I don't have a mailing address for him and we have had this arrangement for the past 6 or 7 years. He hasn't picked up the rent as of today or returned any of my calls. I also sent him a text message. Is this a ploy to try and get me out?? Please help!!
Since you have a phone number you can keep leaving messages and keep the phone records as proof...Perhaps the owner is sick...

Old 03-26-2017, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 920 times
My LL hasn't picked up my rent in 2 MONTHES...AND NEXT WEEK WILL B THE 3 RD MONTH!! IVE CALLED SE ERAL TIMES MESSAGED ETC ,TALJED TO HWR DAD, HE SAID "OH SHES JUST BUZY!!!!?!?? REALLY?? I LIVE ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF A TWO FAMILY, SHE HASNT CO.E FOR THEIRS ITHER!!! I HAVE HER ADDRESS BUT SHE ALWAYS SAYS "DONT MAIL IT, MY MAIL NEVER GOES TO THE RIGHT ADDRESS"!!?!? WELL WHEN SHE FINALLY DOES XOME A KNOCKING, I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE IT!!!! FLIPPING RIDICULOUS

Old 03-26-2017, 09:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin102066 View Post
My LL hasn't picked up my rent in 2 MONTHES...AND NEXT WEEK WILL B THE 3 RD MONTH!! IVE CALLED SE ERAL TIMES MESSAGED ETC ,TALJED TO HWR DAD, HE SAID "OH SHES JUST BUZY!!!!?!?? REALLY?? I LIVE ON THE FIRST FLOOR OF A TWO FAMILY, SHE HASNT CO.E FOR THEIRS ITHER!!! I HAVE HER ADDRESS BUT SHE ALWAYS SAYS "DONT MAIL IT, MY MAIL NEVER GOES TO THE RIGHT ADDRESS"!!?!? WELL WHEN SHE FINALLY DOES XOME A KNOCKING, I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE IT!!!! FLIPPING RIDICULOUS
Then you may or may not get evicted.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
........., I MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE IT!!!! FLIPPING RIDICULOUS
I suggest that you take that rent money down and escrow it with the housing courts. You will have the money to pay rent when the landlord wants it and you will be immune from eviction for non-payment since you have already paid it and the landlord merely needs to pick it up.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:45 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Quote:
Why are you YELLING at us? How could you not have the money? What's ridiculous is if you spend money on yourself that you owe to other people.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:17 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
I know a person like that. They have the money now....but somehow they won't have it later. I think they don't allocate and keep it in that location.

BUT, one thing to consider....is the landlord somehow able to pay her mortgage without collecting rent?

Ask dad how long is she "busy" for. 4-6? or maybe she got a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting