U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 10:37 AM

800 posts, read 1,293,590 times

Advertisements

Hello All - my mother has been ill for quite some time, and now during her most recent hospital stay has been told that now she has heart issues that will require medication. Due to this, she has not been able to work and is now waiting on SSI to kick in.
Anyway, can anybody advise if there any low income/SSI Housing that I can look into for her? I tried to google, but I keep getting ads that don't help me.
Currenlty, she lives in Woodbury, NJ which is Gloucester County.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM

22,478 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Hello All - my mother has been ill for quite some time, and now during her most recent hospital stay has been told that now she has heart issues that will require medication. Due to this, she has not been able to work and is now waiting on SSI to kick in.
Anyway, can anybody advise if there any low income/SSI Housing that I can look into for her? I tried to google, but I keep getting ads that don't help me.
Currenlty, she lives in Woodbury, NJ which is Gloucester County.

Thanks!
I don't think posting on this site will be of much help to you as it's related to general landlord tenant and renting issues. Try posting in the appropriate state forum.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think posting on this site will be of much help to you as it's related to general landlord tenant and renting issues. Try posting in the appropriate state forum.

Oh, you are right. I didn't even notice I posted it in the renting forum.

Is it possible for a mod to move it?

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

22,478 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Here you go - just PM the appropriate moderator and request the move:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/1...ator-list.html

Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

17,598 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Or the retirement forum.

There was an active thread there recently on subsidized housing for low income seniors (and disabled).

Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,654,999 times
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM

14,199 posts, read 26,341,715 times
Most low income housing is funded by HUD and administered through local Public Housing Authorities.

I have had luck getting seniors about to be homeless priority housing... it takes a ton of leg work to document everything.

Normally, in my area... the wait list typically stretches out for years...

All you can do is inquire and remember... just because one city/county Housing has nothing available... doesn't mean another one in the next community is the same... one woman without family was placed... but, it required her to move three counties away... she was thankful to have a place to go and I helped her move.

Another option, at least it is here... is faith based housing for seniors.

Not far from me is a Lutheran Home and they are very good about taking care of elderly with no other means... I have heard the same for Mormons also.

Your local Hospital might be a great source too.

If a senior is indigent... the county will have some suggestions as to available shelters... the policy here is to place those needing assistance with family first... those without any family move to the top of the list.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Thank you all for your input. I should have mentioned, my mother is only 56, so not really eldery. But since she has been sick, it seems like she is.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:33 PM

4,378 posts, read 8,624,731 times
THE HOUSING AUTHORITY OF GLOUCESTER COUNTY

Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 PM

832 posts, read 1,191,571 times
This is what SSI was intended for! She definetely qualifies, goodluck getting her some services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting