Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

It's no longer legal except in some clearly specified situations.

Sex offender half way houses are no children allowed. Drug and alcohol treatment halfway houses can be no children allowed. Then there is the over 55 housing that is allowed by HUD regulations.

I'm not sure that the fair housing laws actually help tenants. I get applicants with out-of-control kids that there is no way I am going to rent to them. I wish I could just tell them no. Instead, I have to take their application fee and then find a legal reason to reject them. They would probably prefer to have me just say no instead of taking their $50, knowing I won't rent to them. But the law says I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Solution; Just kill off all your neighbors under 35, then it will be nice and quiet!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
I think in most jurisdictions it's perfectly lawful for a private landlord who is renting out, for instance, one part of his two-family residence while he lives in the other, to disallow children - but he can't advertise the unit saying so. Go figure that dichotomy!

To add to oregonwoodsmoke's comments the government has, in my opinion, gone way overboard in depriving landlords of the right to exclude children. But, as she/he notes there certainly are ways around these foolish restrictions and many landlords do it.

Where I live now the 5-6 houses on the private road are owned by various members of one big family with the LLs a combination of those living on-site and elsewhere, some on the island and some off island. They all accept well-behaved pets and well-behaved children but don't tolerate any nonsense or disturbance caused to neighbors or themselves by either. Unruly, unsupervised yapping dogs and un-neutered cats who roam and pick fights are as ill-tolerated as squalling, brattish children.

An old revived thread but as relevant today as it was a couple of years back and will likely be as relevant five and ten years from now, Landlords get around it and tenants find those landlords ...

Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Here is the Fair Housing Act description of what is allowed for an over 55 community. Fair Housing -- It's Your Right - HUD

Quote:
What Housing Is Covered?
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.
Sounds like it might be possible to set up a housing community for private club members only, that excluded children.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
I can understand race, creed, age from 18-54 and whether you are male female...but children? What are the arguments for why they can't specify no children under 18? We do so for driving, drinking, smoking and certain jobs.

Last edited by momtothree; 03-17-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dont know. My sister moved to a 55-and-over "adult community" two years ago. I visit her pretty often. The place is beautiful ("New England" style architecture with English-y street names) but it's also a little creepy. When you drive through, you see no signs of life except if you pass one of the geezers in a golf cart on the way to the course that's in the middle of the complex. It reminds me of Salem's Lot when no one is on the street during the day but you can hear the vampires whispering from behind their curtains.

I went with her to the pool, which also brought another movie to mind--Cocoon. A woman walked by and looked at my sister and I and said, "Hello, you babies." I am 53 and my sister is 61. LOL.

I live in a condo complex that has a mix of different types of people. I like seeing the boys with their skateboards doing tricks on the street and the girls riding their bikes or skating. My neighbor two units over has two cute, small children, and next door lives a very nice, polite young man of about 14. I don't know if I would be happy in a place where everyone is old. Halloween must be awful and sad.
If you ever had a neighbor erect a massive trampoline with 7 children and teens at a time jumping while screaming their lungs out 6 feet from your property line, you might think differently. Frankly, I'm ready for that highrise with no kids allowed.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I can understand race, creed, age from 18-54 and whether you are male female...but children? What are the arguments for why they can't specify no children under 18? We do so for driving, drinking, smoking and certain jobs.
Because it makes it harder for families with kids to find someplace to live. The courts decided that it was discrimination to exclude people based on familial status. People have a right to have kids.

Exclusions based on public safety or safety of the kids, such as driving, drinking, smoking and many jobs are all for the purposes of protecting the public and the kids from harm. Perfectly legal in that case.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Because it makes it harder for families with kids to find someplace to live. The courts decided that it was discrimination to exclude people based on familial status. People have a right to have kids.

Exclusions based on public safety or safety of the kids, such as driving, drinking, smoking and many jobs are all for the purposes of protecting the public and the kids from harm. Perfectly legal in that case.
Never thought of it interfering with the right to have kids. Interesting.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
How are 55+ neighborhoods in Florida legal?
We lived in an adult only in Tacoma, WA. It was blissfully quiet.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
People have a right to have kids.
I've always had this totally bizarre notion that landlords should have as much right to refuse renting to people with children as they do in refusing to rent to people with pets. Such a silly notion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting