Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 PM

27 posts, read 40,298 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I posted in Jan about a friend that I let rent from me (BAD MISTAKE) and finally had to evict and you guys were great about giving me info.

Well...we have decided to rent again and want to do everything right this time...including THOROUGH screenings beforehand.

I found a tenant that looks good on paper, has great references (personal & landlord), great job stability and makes 4X the rent...however I did a background screening & basic credit check (basically just a yeah or nay on basic criteria) and a couple things came up ~ she informed me that they walked away from a home they owned for various reasons almost 2 years ago.

I get people fall on hard times, but I want to verify her story before going further and want to do a more in depth credit check. I DO have a signed application to pull credit ~ do I just got to one of the bureaus, put her info in and get a report or am I better off to sign up for the Experian Connect service. Any other advice?

I learned alot from my previous rental experience and want to be VERY smart before I sign any contracts or put keys in anyone's hands!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 12:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
You can use a service like this to get background, criminal record and credit score: https://lexisnexis.mysmartmove.com/?...FeJeTAodXBesJw

Or get an individual credit report from any of the big three agencies:

Credit Reports, Credit Scores, Identity Theft Protection from Equifax

Credit Report and Credit Score with Toll-Free Support from Experian

Get Your FREE Credit Score with 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring from TransUnion-TransUnion.com

Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Go to mrlandlord dot com. There are many landlords that use the forum and there is a credit checking service for landlords on that site. You have to signup and fax proof that you own the property and other stuff to prove you are a landlord. I used it before and it was $9.95 per credit check. That was a few years ago.

There is also a great Q and A area where landlords post and there are many posts per days. They give tips on what to put in the lease and all other great stuff that they learned from years of being a landlord.

you can also confirm prior adresses at veromi dot com and zabasearch dot com, for free. good to use in conjunction with a credit check, and also check criminal info on state or county web sites for free.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:07 PM

27 posts, read 40,298 times
Thanks everyone ~ great sites to look at!

I actually used Experian SmartMove ~ it was a great service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting