Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,976 times

Advertisements

So, I'll give the quick version....

We are in the process of looking for new renters and while the house was vacant, the ice maker water line started to leak. It traveled underneath a shared wall to a neighboring unit, who noticed the leak and called us to shut the water off.

There was no permanent damage done to any items or carpet, but we called a water restoration company to come check the moisture levels so we could rule out mold problems. They recommended popping the baseboards off and drying everything off and everything would take about a day and 500 dollars to fix. In an attempt to be a good neighbor and since the water came from out apartment, we decided to pay for the drying team to come in and take care of all of it.

Once they popped the baseboards off, there was quite a bit of mold already there and the price jumped from $500 to $2000+. We spoke to our insurance company and they will not cover the damages, but our neighbor's policy will. Also the HoA policy will cover it, but they have a 10,000 dollar deductible which they say we will have to pay if they get involved.

I have the following questions:

1. If my neighbor uses her policy, will her insurance company be able to try and recoup the money from me?
2. Am I legally liable for this mold issue, even though I was not negligent and the leak occurred over a 2 day period in a vacant house
3. Since the water traveled through and all the damage occurred in the 'common' area between the walls of the two units, does the HoA have the right to have me pay the deductible?

Thanks!
EJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannQQ View Post

I have the following questions:

1. If my neighbor uses her policy, will her insurance company be able to try and recoup the money from me?
2. Am I legally liable for this mold issue, even though I was not negligent and the leak occurred over a 2 day period in a vacant house
3. Since the water traveled through and all the damage occurred in the 'common' area between the walls of the two units, does the HoA have the right to have me pay the deductible?

Thanks!
EJ
1. More than likely.
2. Yes, you're the property owner.
3. Yes.

Sorry, but I think you're stuck on this one! But I'd certainly question the $2000 price jumping from $500. If the mold was only there for a short time and only caused by this one leaking incident, it can be cleaned off easily enough and, once dry, the baseboards quickly replaced.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Many policies have mold exclusions...

Perhaps your umbrella liability will kick in if the other company sues and wins.

I have removed the ice-makers from all units in a building I managed... way too much trouble all around... leaks, ice smells funny, water line damage etc.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,976 times
Yeah, got word from all involved parties yesterday. I pretty much have to pay everything.

The problem is that my neighbor is an elderly woman who already has a number of health problems, so I am essentially being forced to have a super mold team come and rip out a bunch of stuff for nothing, b/c we are really worried about being sued in the event she dies or her health deteriorates even more.

We live in south Louisiana so every baseboard has mold behind it, I am just the unlucky owner getting to fix 30 years of issues on a property I have owned for 5.

The good thing is that it is not widespread so far and everything will be wrapped up today. Just some sheet-rock replacement on both sides.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:25 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PannQQ View Post
Once they popped the baseboards off, there was quite a bit of mold already there and the price jumped from $500 to $2000+. We spoke to our insurance company and they will not cover the damages, but our neighbor's policy will. Also the HoA policy will cover it, but they have a 10,000 dollar deductible which they say we will have to pay if they get involved.
Since the HOA policy deductible is $10,000 and the cost of repairs is only $2,000, that means the HOA is not going to pay anything, as the cost has not exceeded the deductible. No one pays a $10,000 deductible in order to collect $2,000 in damages.

If the icemaker line leaked on your side of the wall, and ran into the wall and the neighbors unit, then you and your insurance company are responsible for the damages. I don't understand why your insurance company thinks they are not responsible. Your neighbor and the condo association probably have no responsibility for this.

If the leak happened inside of a common wall between your unit and your neighbors, then it could be the condo's responsibility, depending on what your covenants say.

This is not really a renting forum topic, sounds like a condo home owners issue.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Since the HOA policy deductible is $10,000 and the cost of repairs is only $2,000, that means the HOA is not going to pay anything
See his last post - a done deal.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
See his last post - a done deal.
And yet somehow my advice is still appropriate to the original post and useful to anyone having a similar problem. You respond every day to old posts, why do you object so much when someone else does so? Are you entitled to some special privileges that we don't know about?

Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
And yet somehow my advice is still appropriate to the original post and useful to anyone having a similar problem. You respond every day to old posts, why do you object so much when someone else does so? Are you entitled to some special privileges that we don't know about?
No need to get your knickers in a twist - it was mentioned as it seemed you hadn't noticed. No insult or anything else was remotely intended. Just for the record and since you brought it up, I don't think I've ever responded to an old post although I often respond to a new query that someone has tagged on to an old thread and always quote that to which I'm responding in order to save any confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting