Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 09:59 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

Change your locks, and that doesn't help, the house if haunted. I was getting up in the morning and finding my doors unlocked, so I kept a log for a week, to make sure I didn't forget to lock them before I went to bed. It turned out that that manager thought he was being "cute," and unlocking them during the night. I changed my locks and had no other problems. Several other tenants have had to change their locks due to him. And the owner and manager do not have keys...

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Change your locks, and that doesn't help, the house if haunted. I was getting up in the morning and finding my doors unlocked, so I kept a log for a week, to make sure I didn't forget to lock them before I went to bed. It turned out that that manager thought he was being "cute," and unlocking them during the night. I changed my locks and had no other problems. Several other tenants have had to change their locks due to him. And the owner and manager do not have keys...
I sure hope that you and the other tenants reported him. That is criminal behavior.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Not to railroad the thread with LL/tenant issues, changing the locks without giving the owner/manager a key can have repercussions for you in an emergency situation as most leases state.

What do you do when you need a repair and can't be home?

There are other ways you could have handled it. Frankly, this is not a stable individual.

Edit...the thread was moved to renting forum.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I sure hope that you and the other tenants reported him. That is criminal behavior.
Yes, he's been reported to the owner, who refuses to get rid of him.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Yes, he's been reported to the owner, who refuses to get rid of him.
Did you address it in writing or verbally?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM

Not to railroad the thread with LL/tenant issues, changing the locks without giving the owner/manager a key can have repercussions for you in an emergency situation as most leases state.
What do you do when you need a repair and can't be home? The owner is a slumlord, and we take care of our own repairs unless it's something major that he's forced to take care of (plumbing). Idon't have regular working hours, so I can arrange my schedule to be home if he needs to come in, but he hasn't been inside my place since 2009.

There are other ways you could have handled it. Frankly, this is not a stable individual.
We know that, but the owner refuses to get rid of him.

The manager was seen by a non tenant entering a unit when the tenant was at work. Additionally, he has watched her leave for work in the morning.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 12,459 times
Oh my...I would never leave my doors unlocked. You stated the had been vacant for a year, iit could be a person who was squatting there. Or it could be as you said someone left something...like a dealer who hid a stash...or former renter. I don't think you're losing it but I'd make sure the doors are locked even when I'm home. It's a shame that this is now the society we live in. The house being haunted, posibilty but not likely. Like the previous post...I'd get to know the neighbors and ask a lot of questions.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Did you address it in writing or verbally?

In writing by me, verbally (and recorded on her iPad) by another tenant. I do everything in writing, and send it to him with delivery confirmation. I have enough paperwork (and photos) to start a book.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Why would anyone renting not keep their doors locked all the time? I really do not get some people. Frankly, this thread reminds me of that woman who swore she had a gang of people hanging around her pool at night.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Install a video camera and you should have your answer very quickly. Depending what you find you can plan your next actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting