U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-26-2012, 08:24 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,912,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't know how to go about researching the house past criminal activity, where does one begin to look?
When you contact your local police department (you ARE going to contact them, right?), they'll be able to either tell you or point you in the right direction. Most departments will not provide a list of prior incidents at an address since that's a serious violation of other peoples' privacy rights. But they may be willing to give you advice like "your home was a former meth lab".

Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM

5,373 posts, read 6,247,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
Someone is entering your house, and people are telling you to contact ghostbusters or get a gun?

LOCK YOUR DOOR AND CALL THE DANG POLICE! Don't wait until the next time it happens - call them and let them know what's been going on. For all you know, there's a Megan's Law violator in your neighborhood with this pattern of behavior. Or maybe they picked up your neighbor for doing the same thing to someone else in the past.

Do not, I repeat, do not get a gun. I say this as a gun owner.

You do not just "get a gun". You need to educate yourself about the different types of guns available, what works best for you, what the laws are in your locale, and most importantly, how to operate it safely. A great place to start is the NRA. Whether you agree with their politics or not, they can point you towards certified instructors who will teach you the basics. Then you'll want to find a local range or gun club and go shooting. A lot. Go through several thousand rounds of ammo each year. Unless you're a Ranger or a Seal, there's no such thing as "too much training" or "too much practice".

The reason I say this is that when this person strolls through your front door some night at 3am, and you wake up to the alarm wailing, you'll have a few seconds to decide what to do. Is it your partner going outside for something and he / she just forgot to disarm the alarm? Is it the fire department breaking down your door because your home is on fire? Is it a meth addict trying to kill you so he can pawn your DVD player for $5? If you decide that deadly force is necessary, then you'll need to draw, aim, fire, and hit your target. This can be a piece of cake at the range, but when you've been awake for two seconds and some lunatic is running down the hall towards your door screaming that he's going to kill you, and you've got that adrenaline fighting with terror and shock, your body isn't going to do what you tell it to do. This is where practice comes in. Not just once a year, not just a few hundred rounds, but every chance you get.

You also need to be aware of the potential civil liability that shooting someone can carry. Even if they're screaming "I'm going to kill you" and running straight at you with a chainsaw, their family will probably sue you after his death at your hand. They will parade family member after family member up on the witness stand to talk about how "misunderstood" he was and how he was "just starting to turn things around". A jury could very well wind up awarding them a multi-million-dollar settlement, even though you were perfectly within your legal right to protect yourself. Some states have laws in place defending against such suits; others do not. This is yet another reason why you don't "just" get a gun; it's a significant investment in your time.

If you're prepared to do all that, then get a gun. Shooting is a very enjoyable and very social experience. Almost everyone you meet at the range will be friendly and happy to chat. Just know that you don't simply walk into Wal-Mart, pick up a .45, and call it a day.

But I have to ask -- why didn't you start locking your doors when this first started happening? Have you called the police?

Great advice about the NRA---will look into it!

I do believe I said I would get a gun and learn how to handle it. I never said I would just waltz into Walmart and get one!

BTW, I'm in Texas, where you still have the right to protect your home!

Very good comment about drug addicts who will go for anything for a few bucks. I doubt there's anything in here worth stealing, but it all depends on what their motives are.

Oh, and did I report it to police? I called once, they asked if anyone was hurt, was there a robbery in progress? No, then they wouldn't even come out. I will go to police station tomorrow and see if I can even file a report. i doubt they will take a report because "me and the cat' heard something-- but at least I might get some information about past activities, etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
When you contact your local police department (you ARE going to contact them, right?), they'll be able to either tell you or point you in the right direction. Most departments will not provide a list of prior incidents at an address since that's a serious violation of other peoples' privacy rights. But they may be willing to give you advice like "your home was a former meth lab".

$hit---all that privacy stuff! Criminals have the right to privacy, but law-abiding citizens have no rights it seems!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Also, a good point to look into the background of who you're renting from. They want to know all about you, well, the renter should know aboout the owner as well.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Marshmallow better be OK! I remember the thread when he was lost. I agree with all the others, cameras and motion sensitive lights as they may start trying to come at late night.

Yes, Marshmallow is doing fine! The thread where he was lost was about 2 years ago. We had just adopted him from a shelter, he ran off and was gone for about 2 weeks. then he came back, never did figure out where he went. He probably went looking for his former owner. He's now quite bonded to me. His former owner passed away, so I'm his mama now!

Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 PM

249 posts, read 364,046 times
I lived in a house built in 1639 which was supposedly haunted. Naturally, I did not believe it and thought it was all a joke. There were two apartments in the home. Every evening at 11:45 I would hear the screen door open, hear the front door open and close. I just assumed it was my neighbor returning home. Until he went on a two week vacation and the 'person' kept returning each night on schedule. That's when I believed. But all I did was talk to the 'ghost' and ask him to be more quiet when he came home each night. See, I didn't freak out, or buy a gun, or get a security camera. First, find out exactly who (or what) is making the noises you are hearing. There could be a simple and innocent explanation. Then again, it could be rats.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,912,410 times
Quote:
$hit---all that privacy stuff! Criminals have the right to privacy, but law-abiding citizens have no rights it seems!
Actually, I was referring to the law-abiding citizens. If you were a victim of crime, you wouldn't want the whole world knowing about it. Imagine there's a sexual assault at 123 Maple Street. Some nosy neighbor at 122 Maple Street sees the commotion and calls the police to find out what's going on. They tell her there was an assault, and within hours she's gossiping to the whole neighborhood about what happened.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelita189 View Post
I lived in a house built in 1639 which was supposedly haunted. Naturally, I did not believe it and thought it was all a joke. There were two apartments in the home. Every evening at 11:45 I would hear the screen door open, hear the front door open and close. I just assumed it was my neighbor returning home. Until he went on a two week vacation and the 'person' kept returning each night on schedule. That's when I believed. But all I did was talk to the 'ghost' and ask him to be more quiet when he came home each night. See, I didn't freak out, or buy a gun, or get a security camera. First, find out exactly who (or what) is making the noises you are hearing. There could be a simple and innocent explanation. Then again, it could be rats.

I doubt this house is haunted---its just 7 years old. and with 4 cats, a rat wouldn't stand a chance!But even if there is a simple explanation, it certainly can't hurt to install a security system, change locks, etc.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sounds like the house is haunted. A previous owner likely died and his/her ghost is knocking about your residence. Look up the title history of your property - you will probally find someone died in the house.

Check out this site - myabe these people can help you. The Ghost Investigators Society, specializing in EVP research, 100's of recorded ghost voices.

How do you find title history?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM

29,011 posts, read 9,560,229 times
Quote:
How do you find title history?
http://www.ipl.org/div/pf/entry/76687

The above link is a general guide. You can also use www.zillow.com and it will show the sale history of the home -but not neccesarily the owners name. You might also check your county Accessor's office website - the name of current and previous owners and the accessed value of real property are public records, available to all.

Perhaps there is no ghost since the house is relatively young- but it seems improbable that you can never see the source of the noises. Do whatever you can to get a visual recording of the culprit - if this cannot be done and the noises continue - you can conclude that the source is from the spirit world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.