Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times

Advertisements

1) Lock the doors at all times. Only unlock them to let yourself inside, then lock as soon as the door is shut.

2) Get a barrel bolt or hook and eye for the door (or similar) and keep locked when you are in the home. These are cheap and no keys are needed. This is an extra security in case someone else has a key.

3) Ditto on a cheap camera as other have mentioned-motion sensor camera for the front door so it films whoever comes to the door.

4) Keep all windows locked and close the blinds/curtains at night so people cannot see inside.

5) If needed, get door lock rekeyed. It is cheap to get them rekeyed-any locksmith can do it. Make sure you give the new key to the landlord.

6) Why in the heck do you leave your door unlocked????????????????Especially after the first time this occurred. Get into the habit of locking the doors at all times.

I'd be creeped out and would move once my lease was up but do the above for the interim. No matter if this is some real person or a ghost.

I would remove valuables from the home and put into safe location -safe deposit box.

CHECK THE HOUSE FOR HIDDEN CAMERAS. Maybe a sicko that is planting cameras inside the home. You never know.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Thanks, everyone, for all the advice!

I'm no stranger to crime, I grew up in Detroit Locking doors was a habit. We would even lock the door while sitting out the trash, people were known to sit out trash, then someone sneak inside and be there waiting for them!

However, I must admit I've let my guard down a bit since moving to a "nice, quiet, safe" area. I know, crime happens anywhere! Of course, its easy to blame it on the kids, they do run in and out and not lock the door, but I think they are more aware now. also, I'm more vigilent about those locks!

We used to live in another city, had a good, cheap alarm system, ADT. It was connected to all doors and windows. That way, I knew from a glance at the keypad if a door or window was left ajar. The reason we haven't installed an alarm here yet is, alarm companies won't install an alarm if you're renting, you need permission from the owner/landlord. We offered to pay the whole thing, plus monthly fee, but no response from the owners. Perhaps I should just call another company and say we are the owners? they don't ask for any proof, like a deed. I'm just sick of thinking of my dd alone with an intruder.

Why was the house vacant for so long? Well, partly the economy. It was listed for sale for a long time. I found it and offered to rent, they took it for cash flow reasons. Its perfect for us, right floor plan, layout, close to work, school, right on the bus route, etc. but no home is worth our safety!

I do like the idea of videocams, I'm looking into those that you can monitor from your phone.

What I'm wondering is, who keeps coming back? and its usually in the daytime. I know most robberies occur in the daytime, but why keep coming back?

Many years ago, I lived in an apt by myself. I kept hearing strange noises, etc. One day, I came home early, found the ac vent removed and just standing next to the wall. then, the "funny business" stopped. Apparently they had left something in the AC and were trying to get it. I moved shortly after that. On the day I moved, a neighbor told me the previous tennants were evicted for selling drugs. Probably they left something behind and were trying to get it. I should have been told about past criminal activity, especially when I kept complaining to the management.

Well, that was 20 years ago, but seems to be quite like this situation. Tomorrow we are getting the keys rekeyed, and find an alarm system. I don't know how to go about researching the house past criminal activity, where does one begin to look? and, if they are looking to find something,where should we look? We've been all through the house, but what are some hiding places we might be overlooking?

Last night I just stayed awake all night, and switched the pattern of lights, might do the same tonight.

Yes, it could be some mentally derranged person, too!

Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Many years ago, I lived in an apt by myself. I kept hearing strange noises, etc. One day, I came home early, found the ac vent removed and just standing next to the wall. then, the "funny business" stopped. Apparently they had left something in the AC and were trying to get it. I moved shortly after that. On the day I moved, a neighbor told me the previous tennants were evicted for selling drugs. Probably they left something behind and were trying to get it. I should have been told about past criminal activity, especially when I kept complaining to the management.

Well, that was 20 years ago, but seems to be quite like this situation. Tomorrow we are getting the keys rekeyed, and find an alarm system. I don't know how to go about researching the house past criminal activity, where does one begin to look? and, if they are looking to find something,where should we look? We've been all through the house, but what are some hiding places we might be overlooking?

Last night I just stayed awake all night, and switched the pattern of lights, might do the same tonight.

Yes, it could be some mentally derranged person, too!
You could purchase some cheap timers to turn the lights on and off and vary the times daily. Chairs up against the doors while you sleep could provide a sense of security until you can get an alarm installed.

The local police blotter may be a place to start for past criminal activity, but that assumes the criminals got caught at some point, so local busy bodies may be a better source or go talk to the police at your local precinct.

On the bright side (if there is one) the person doesn't seem to want a confrontation. Are your cars visible from the street or are they in a garage? Making it known you are home might be a good way to keep the person at bay, particularly when you or your daughter is at home.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM

I don't know why this has been moved to the renting forum. This isn't a rental issue, we just happen to be renting, similar things can happen in your own home!

Well, anyways, here it is!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM

I thught it might be the landlord, doing a surprise check, but don't think so. First, he lives in another city, and I doubt he would wast his time playing cat-and-mouse games, but perhaps so? he originally wanted to sell this house, then rented it to us. Perhpaps he's sneaking around to see what type of condition it is in? Still, doesn't quite fit.....

Last night I rigged up my own little "alarm"---put some metal pots and pans on a chair unter the door, it would make a heck of a racket if disturbed, that's until I can get the locks rekeyed, which I will do tomorrow, along with an alarm system installed. Meanwhile, here's some silly little things that have been known to help scare off burglars--

Put a Beware of Dog sign on the fence

Put up an ADT sign, even if you don't have an alarm (we have one from our former house)

Vary the pattern of lights, cars parked, etc

leave the TV on if not home

Put lights on timers

Also, I like the idea of inside bolts or at least chains, the can be broken, but one more layer of security

Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM

Oh, Marshmallow---our cat--is freaked out, too. whoever or whatever this is, he hears it, too. He usually runs and hides whenever he hears something unusual. these noises always happen in the daytime. Well, it was a few weeks ago, (I sleep late, about 10-11am), I woke up to some strange sound. Marshmallow is a big cat, a Maine Coon Mix. Instead of running away and hiding, I got the impression he was trying to protect me. He "grew" in size---every one of his long hairs literally stood out so he looked like a racoon, he hissed and growled--I never realized what big teeth he has. He was staring at the door. I yelled out who's there? we heard a few more noises, then whatever it was left. Cats are known to be in tune with the spirti world, could be a burglar, could be a ghost, but it proves one thing, its not my imagination!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think changing the locks and a video camera are both good ideas. That will also help narrow down if the intruder is alive or dead (depending on if you believe in ghosts or not).

Well, like my Dad used to say, dead people won't hurt you, its the live ones you have to watch out for!

Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM

40,949 posts, read 49,150,612 times
This will come off as very Texan but a gun should be in your home and you should know how to use it. When someone kicks in your door, the police will be too late.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Marshmallow better be OK! I remember the thread when he was lost. I agree with all the others, cameras and motion sensitive lights as they may start trying to come at late night.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:19 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,920,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
The door was unlocked, so whoever it is doesn't appear to have a key. I kept being told I was imagining things, or it was the cats, etc, but today dd hear it, too. She called out is that you, then heard the door softly close.......
Someone is entering your house, and people are telling you to contact ghostbusters or get a gun?

LOCK YOUR DOOR AND CALL THE DANG POLICE! Don't wait until the next time it happens - call them and let them know what's been going on. For all you know, there's a Megan's Law violator in your neighborhood with this pattern of behavior. Or maybe they picked up your neighbor for doing the same thing to someone else in the past.

Do not, I repeat, do not get a gun. I say this as a gun owner.

You do not just "get a gun". You need to educate yourself about the different types of guns available, what works best for you, what the laws are in your locale, and most importantly, how to operate it safely. A great place to start is the NRA. Whether you agree with their politics or not, they can point you towards certified instructors who will teach you the basics. Then you'll want to find a local range or gun club and go shooting. A lot. Go through several thousand rounds of ammo each year. Unless you're a Ranger or a Seal, there's no such thing as "too much training" or "too much practice".

The reason I say this is that when this person strolls through your front door some night at 3am, and you wake up to the alarm wailing, you'll have a few seconds to decide what to do. Is it your partner going outside for something and he / she just forgot to disarm the alarm? Is it the fire department breaking down your door because your home is on fire? Is it a meth addict trying to kill you so he can pawn your DVD player for $5? If you decide that deadly force is necessary, then you'll need to draw, aim, fire, and hit your target. This can be a piece of cake at the range, but when you've been awake for two seconds and some lunatic is running down the hall towards your door screaming that he's going to kill you, and you've got that adrenaline fighting with terror and shock, your body isn't going to do what you tell it to do. This is where practice comes in. Not just once a year, not just a few hundred rounds, but every chance you get.

You also need to be aware of the potential civil liability that shooting someone can carry. Even if they're screaming "I'm going to kill you" and running straight at you with a chainsaw, their family will probably sue you after his death at your hand. They will parade family member after family member up on the witness stand to talk about how "misunderstood" he was and how he was "just starting to turn things around". A jury could very well wind up awarding them a multi-million-dollar settlement, even though you were perfectly within your legal right to protect yourself. Some states have laws in place defending against such suits; others do not. This is yet another reason why you don't "just" get a gun; it's a significant investment in your time.

If you're prepared to do all that, then get a gun. Shooting is a very enjoyable and very social experience. Almost everyone you meet at the range will be friendly and happy to chat. Just know that you don't simply walk into Wal-Mart, pick up a .45, and call it a day.

But I have to ask -- why didn't you start locking your doors when this first started happening? Have you called the police?

Last edited by DowntownHarrisburg; 02-26-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.