U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
Default Non licensed rental property question.

We are renting a house from a couple. Been there almost 2 years. Never had a problem. A week ago the basement flooded due to the boiler, a crew came and removed carpets. Before their insurance agent showed up we were told to tell them we were "roommates" and that the owners lived there.
Impinge some research I discovered the house is not licensed for rental.
Between that and being asked to lie I'm feeling real uncomfortable. Whatever are laws for things like this? Should I be worried?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 PM

13,126 posts, read 23,424,760 times
City-Data is not a source for legal advice...

For specifics a lawyer familiar with your jurisdiction would be my opinion of the place to start.

That said... what do you want to do? Move, stay... or none of the above?

Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,340 times
Want to stay, but now did to deductable they want to up the rent and because new carpet is going in they want us to get rid of our pets which we refuse to do.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwannamove View Post
Want to stay, but now did to deductable they want to up the rent and because new carpet is going in they want us to get rid of our pets which we refuse to do.
My guess is that eventually you will end up moving...

Amount of rent, pets, etc... should all be spelled out in your rental agreement.

With proper notice or at the end of the lease terms can be modified and you have the option to decline by moving.

Additional rules come into play if your unit is covered under rent control...

Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM

15,940 posts, read 27,802,651 times
What state? Do you have city regulations to deal with? You said it wasn't licensed as a rental - not licensed by what agency? Clearly the LL never told his homeowner's insurance company that he was leasing out the house as homeowners doesn't pay off on rental properties.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:26 AM

27,233 posts, read 22,694,704 times
im not sure what you mean by licensed? unless its an illegal apartment there is no licensing i know of to rent out a legal apartment or house.

issues crop up because mortgages and property insurance were based on the property being portrayed as owner occupied.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:29 PM

4,936 posts, read 4,326,593 times
they probably have homeowners insurance which is for owner occupied properties. there are separate policies when you rent out your home.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM

thats what it sounds like to me. they dont want the mortgage company or the insurance company to know its not owner occupied.

amatuers learn to late about lying about these things and the consequences.

just wait until a disgruntled tenant torches the house or does an act of vandelisim and they find out that the ho3 homeowners policy they have been using for their rental wont pay them.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thats what it sounds like to me. they dont want the mortgage company or the insurance company to know its not owner occupied.

amatuers learn to late about lying about these things and the consequences.

just wait until a disgruntled tenant torches the house or does an act of vandelisim and they find out that the ho3 homeowners policy they have been using for their rental wont pay them.
They might even pay... had one experience with a single family home... the elderly woman had to go to a care home and her niece rented to a family... she totally didn't realize/think of insurance... it was all paid up for the year.

Anyway... the husband was frying fish and the resulting kitchen fire significant damage...

The insurance company she had been with for 40 years paid the claim, cancelled coverage and sued the now former tenant for negligence and the tenant ended up filing Bankruptcy... this happened in California in 2001.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 AM

the real issues with homeowners come when there is a criminal or intentional act done by a tenant.

vandalism, stealing appliances ,arson etc. like i said with ho3 your tenant under an ho3 policy becomes a household member and is an insured under the policy.

anything they do is like an insurance job as an insured cant torch their own house or steal their own items and collect.

property damage claims from normal events are not usually questioned or an issue ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting