U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,455 times
Default Lease Terminate pennsylvania Job Loss

Is there a way to terminate the lease legally without any issues if there is a job transfer clause (after 6 months rent paid out of a year lease) in the lease that states it can be done? Isn't job loss/lay off worse than job transfer??

Wondering if anyone has any exp and provide insight...
small claims court as $3500 remaining in the lease. I gave them the job loss notice back when i owed 5600 (3 months ago) out of the whole year 8k+ lease.
I have already paid 7 months rent out of the 12.

Thanks for your help and advice on this urgent matter,
t101
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 AM

29,279 posts, read 25,398,627 times
job loss doesnt get you out of a lease.

you could talk to to the landlord and if hes sympathetic perhaps you can work something out.

there maybe ways of getting out of the lease depending on your states laws. many states have "surrender and control " laws where if a tenant is shrewd and knows how to manipulate them they can actually trick their way out of the lease.

im not familiar with pa law so i cant say more than that but it may be worth it to talk to a lawyer skilled in real estate.

unlike other business contracts which can be quite difficult to get out of leases can be easy to manipulate out of if the landlord or managment company never had any of these techniques used on them. it all depends on your states surrender and conrtrol laws under operation of law .

its not something you can google usually as it involves bending and manipulating existing laws to allow you to slither out from under a lease and more than likely you will need a lawyer to help pull it off.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Thx. The lease has provisions for ending because of job transfer but not on job loss!! that seems a really tough has loss is worse than transfer......Seems the people that work there were not sympathetic at all for job loss only for transfers even after paying 7 months of rent on time...wow!
Haven't talked to the manager yet...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM

11,996 posts, read 12,085,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t101 View Post
Thx. The lease has provisions for ending because of job transfer but not on job loss!! that seems a really tough has loss is worse than transfer......Seems the people that work there were not sympathetic at all for job loss only for transfers even after paying 7 months of rent on time...wow!
Haven't talked to the manager yet...

Early terminations aren't uncommon, but there are penalties.

Google your states Landlord/Tenant laws and read your lease for early termination clause.

Talk to your PM asap.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 AM

29,279 posts, read 25,398,627 times
If the odds are pretty good they can rent your place easily than maybe you will get hit with a months charges.

If it looks like a few grand a consultation with a local real estate attorney may be worth it as there is nothing thats going to be in your lease that will give you any insight into how to wiggle out of this.

This can only be done by knowing the loopholes and ins and outs of working the state laws

Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM

14,312 posts, read 20,082,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t101 View Post
Is there a way to terminate the lease legally without any issues if there is a job transfer clause (after 6 months rent paid out of a year lease) in the lease that states it can be done? Isn't job loss/lay off worse than job transfer??

Wondering if anyone has any exp and provide insight...
small claims court as $3500 remaining in the lease. I gave them the job loss notice back when i owed 5600 (3 months ago) out of the whole year 8k+ lease.
I have already paid 7 months rent out of the 12.

Thanks for your help and advice on this urgent matter,
t101
Your post is really unclear as to what you mean by "small claims court as $3500 remaining in the lease." Sounds like something got left out. I can't imagine why a job loss would be treated any differently from a transfer. Your best bet is to try and negotiate getting out with your landlord/property manager. Expect to pay something in order to get out early. If you can't negotiate anything reasonable, talk to an attorney.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Your post is really unclear as to what you mean by "small claims court as $3500 remaining in the lease." Sounds like something got left out. I can't imagine why a job loss would be treated any differently from a transfer. Your best bet is to try and negotiate getting out with your landlord/property manager. Expect to pay something in order to get out early. If you can't negotiate anything reasonable, talk to an attorney.
One of my relative's friends is a lawyer who mentioned that in pa it would go under small claims court since it is a matter of 5 months unpaid rent left 3500.

I got laid off in November (paid dec,jan,feb,march) asked them then if there was lease break clause (i had a case where i paid 3 months rent for another lease in another state before for lease break but it was in the lease)

Here they told me they didnt have that and the only clause they have is job transfer to end the lease and that too after 6 months only which has now happened.....Now the issue seems to be with treating job loss differently than job transfer (it specifically states transfer outside of 50 mile radius of the city) I have already moved well more than 50 miles away in Nov due to the loss and staying there since then looking for new opportunities...

I am going to request to speak only with the manager going forward all the time.....
thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting