Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 14,421 times

Advertisements

Our rental lease of a year is up. I went to turn in a 60 day notice I would not be renewing. Office says that HE has to sign termination notice also or else I'm STILL LIABLE IF HE STAYS!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO I LEGALLY GET OUT OF THIS NIGHTMARE? I've paid most of the rent the whole year and I want out, I want out, I want out - but I can't make him go sign the notice we are NOT renewing the lease and he says he'll just go month to month and I know he doesn't care if he ruins his credit and would probably just trash his and mine just to hurt me.

Help me - please let me know if there is anything in the law that protects me from being HELD HOSTAGE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times
I have not read your lease and renewal clause, however, if is a simple one year lease, and you give them a 60 day notice you are not liable. Your BF would have to sign a new lease in his name only.

I would send the 60 day non renewal notice via the post office, register it, signature required.

In the meantime I would do a search and look for your local free legal service advocate service in your area.

Landlords play all kinds of games, find out what you rights are.

Last edited by Dollydo; 03-09-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I agree, send them your written 60 day notice and keep a copy with proof that you sent it and move out. They may keep the security deposit because he did not give notice, but I see now way they can continue to obligate you to the lease.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolliby View Post
Our rental lease of a year is up. I went to turn in a 60 day notice I would not be renewing. Office says that HE has to sign termination notice also or else I'm STILL LIABLE IF HE STAYS!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO I LEGALLY GET OUT OF THIS NIGHTMARE? I've paid most of the rent the whole year and I want out, I want out, I want out - but I can't make him go sign the notice we are NOT renewing the lease and he says he'll just go month to month and I know he doesn't care if he ruins his credit and would probably just trash his and mine just to hurt me.

Help me - please let me know if there is anything in the law that protects me from being HELD HOSTAGE!!!
Responsibility as a cosigner doesn't end until he terminates the lease giving proper notice to the PM, and not off the hook legally if damages or arrears exceed security deposit. You can be sued in small claims as well.

As equal lease holders, on an expired lease turned month to month, you can have your name removed by giving 30-60 day notice (what your state requires). Any security deposit money would be reimbursed by the other lease holder, not management. The securtity deposit money stays in escrow until refunded after lease termination.

If his income does not meet the requirements, management may not offer him a lease renewal without adding a new lease holder or require a cosigner. That won't be your concern, but you'll no longer have responsibility to the rent.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
I am more concerned about the "abusive" situation you are in. If it is a situation that is threatening to your life -- get out.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I am more concerned about the "abusive" situation you are in. If it is a situation that is threatening to your life -- get out.
That crossed my mind too. There are legal ways to get out of a lease in cases of domestic abuse but since she's still living in the same apartment I tend to think it's not an alarming situation, otherwise she would have left already.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolliby View Post
our rental lease of a year is up. I went to turn in a 60 day notice i would not be renewing. Office says that he has to sign termination notice also or else i'm still liable if he stays!!!!!!!!!

How do i legally get out of this nightmare? I've paid most of the rent the whole year and i want out, i want out, i want out - but i can't make him go sign the notice we are not renewing the lease and he says he'll just go month to month and i know he doesn't care if he ruins his credit and would probably just trash his and mine just to hurt me.

Help me - please let me know if there is anything in the law that protects me from being held hostage!!!

you go to an attorney and get legal advice you do not post on a public forum where no one can legally help you!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM

410 posts, read 342,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
You are stuck. Next time don't live with somebody until you are married. (Duh).

Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You are stuck. Next time don't live with somebody until you are married. (Duh).
Because married people are never abusive? Seriously?

OP, I hope the situation works out. Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting