Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The landlord tenant laws are not what are issues here. Local laws and codes which govern the design of buildings that are deemed safe for use are. And yes the fire marshall would have the answer. If the answer is that the lock does not pass muster then of course the landlord will pay fines until they resolve the issue.
Seems like a lot of trouble for something that can be taken care of cheaply with only a screwdriver and a few dollars...

One thing I have learned is codes vary greatly depending on jurisdiction... from no codes to strictly enforced model code with local additions.

A friend built his home outside Tyler Texas and the only permit/inspection required was for the septic...

In my city... a home owner can be fined if they change out their gutters or removed a tree without a permit and public comment...

As far as the landlord addressing your safety concerns... it sounds like they did when they said there is nothing they will do.

Drilling the door for a peephole would require altering the door and this is something I would never advise a tenant to do without written permission.

As other have said... the final arbiter of safety usually rests with the Fire Marshall...

Are you aware of other units with locks like yours or peepholes?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-12-2012 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 07:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Thanks for all of your advice. I will be getting a second key to ensure that I don't have problems with being locked in or out! I don't think it is stupid to be concerned about this kind of set up. It is completely non-sensical for a third floor unit with no balcony to have a lock the requires a key from the inside. It seems like a death trap.

I live in Denver and have seen no regulations banning such locks. I did find a local story of several people who were trapped in their house because of their deadbolts who suffered severe burns due the time to find the key! I will call the fire department and see if this violates some sort of code.
Some, states such as Texas, are very specific about what kind of lock are required on exterior doors and requiring peepholes. I could not find any specific requirements for Colorado other then this, in the newest law on habitability.

Quote:
LOCKS ON ALL EXTERIOR DOORS AND LOCKS OR SECURITY DEVICES ON WINDOWS DESIGNED TO BE OPENED THAT ARE MAINTAINED IN GOOD WORKING ORDER
However, the building inspection department of your City may have some very specific requirements. I recommend that you contact them and find out. For example, the International Residential Code for dwellings, which many cities have adopted, requires the following:

Quote:
http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...2_3_sec010.htm
SECTION R310 EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS

Emergency escape and rescue openings shall be operational from the inside of the room without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge.
I believe the same is usually true of any required exit from an apartment.

Or as others have suggested. Simply have a locksmith or handiman replace the interior side of the deadbolt with a thumb latch, and replace it when you move out.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-11-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 AM

12,632 posts, read 14,760,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
...It is completely non-sensical for a third floor unit with no balcony to have a lock the requires a key from the inside. It seems like a death trap.
This reminds me, I read an apt review once where someone commented that they live on an upper floor & stuff was still being stolen & they could tell the person's coming from their back door, not force entry through the front door. Someone must have figured out a quick way to not be noticeable & quickly put up a ladder & stealing stuff on the uppser floors. I think the commentor said this happened during the day too. That's really something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting