Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a question regarding apartment complexes in Illinois. My wife and I just ran across this here recently.

To hit to the heart of my question, is there any law that describes an apartment needing to give fair notice to an occupant before they enter the apartment? Just here recently, the apartment complex decided to enter our apartment while we were at work to do an inspection and not tell us anything about it. They decided then to leave a bill for $5 on the back of our couch to charge us for replacing a smoke detector that went dead.

I'm not upset about the $5 (I mean, kind of, because imo, it should be covered as general maintenance), but what I'm more concerned with is their right to enter our apartment whenever they want without telling us. It is listed in the lease that they are allowed to enter the apartment "for any lawful purpose at reasonable hours." And it also says they are allowed to charge us $5 if it's found that our smoke detectors are dead, that it's our responsibility to maintain them. But my question is more or less, is it lawful to do these things?

I mean, come on, my wife's belongings and clothes are out, and for all I know, these people, who we don't know, could of very easily gone through and taken some of our stuff and we'd have never known. Needless to say, I'm upset and this could be a deal breaker for us.

Thoughts? Legally, are they within rights to do this considering we signed the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,942,582 times
What does your state laws say about this? Your state's AG website should have a Tenant's Rights guide on it. Everyone who rents should gave a copy of their state's landlord-tenant laws.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 PM

32,626 posts, read 47,939,094 times
Yes they can bill you for the battery.

Notice? I don't know. If it is in your lease that they do quarterly inspections, you have been notified. I suggest that you look up your state landlord law and see what it says. If you still aren't happy, take your lease to a lawyer and see what he says. You can have the lawyer write a letter to your landlord requesting 24 hour notice, if the lawyer thinks your landlord is violating the law.

Depending on what type of housing you are in, there might be some variation of what is required. Public housing, low income housing, and some other types of specialty housing might have different rules than full price privately owned rentals..

Old 12-15-2017, 03:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,832,804 times
Unfortunately, there is no rule or law in Illinois which states when a landlord can or can't enter the property he/she is renting. As such, the general rule is that a landlord may enter with reasonable notice during reasonable times except in case of an emergency unless a local ordinance or the lease agreement specifically states otherwise.

Keep in mind that a renter does have a right to use enjoy the premises and the landlord cannot interfere unreasonably with that right by frequently entering the property or failing to give notice of entry.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,072 times
What is considered a "reasonable notice?" They didn't give any notice at all. They gave a notice that they had already entered, but not that they were going to enter. Is giving a notice after they had already entered considered reasonable notice? The lease reads that they reserve the right to enter the property so long as it's within reasonable hours. I don't have the lease right in front of me right now (not at home) but I don't think it mentioned anything about a notice. Does the law say anything about this or am I out of luck?

Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,884,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerbrick View Post
Legally, are they within rights to do this considering we signed the lease?
Depends.

What, exactly, does your lease say about periodic inspections, notice and entry?

And if your lease says nothing, then what do the apartment rules (which you agreed to obey) say about it?

Before you answer those questions make sure you carefully read your lease and the rules and don't just guess as to what provisions they contain.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 PM

18,458 posts, read 31,604,450 times
change the locks. i think it is bs when ll enter someones apartment when they are not home.
if there is a fire, the firemen will break the door, thats the only emergency, not checking for batteries.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,832,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
change the locks. i think it is bs when ll enter someones apartment when they are not home.
if there is a fire, the firemen will break the door, thats the only emergency, not checking for batteries.
BAD ADVISE....

It’s likely illegal to change the locks without the landlords permission or supplying the landlord with a copy of the key.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,229,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Worst advice I've seen on here in a very long time. VERY few states allow tenants to change locks and fewer allow them to do so and deny the property owner the key. If you don't like having inspections then buy a place but as long as there is hundreds of thousands of dollars at risk the owner has every right to reasonable inspections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerbrick View Post
Thoughts? Legally, are they within rights to do this considering we signed the lease?
Seems they are well within their rights. They aren't going through your stuff looking for things to take. Most likely they inspected another 10-30 units on the same day, they don't have time and your stuff isn't as valuable as you think it is. If they took something they couldn't sell it at a pawn shop or Craigslist because the cops watch those things so even your most expensive jewelery, which you would have checked first when you saw the bill, is nearly worthless. The $50 in junk they could swipe without you immediately noticing isn't worth it.

Would giving you notice before have been the decent thing to have done? Sure, but they don't have to based on what you and some others have said. Look at it the other way around, the home is worth way more than your things. Should they not be checking on it to make sure you aren't putting it at unnecessary risk? You left smoke alarms without working batteries so you did put it at risk.

Batteries are not a general maintenance item for LLs to deal with, like air/furnace filters. They go out randomly and need to be addressed right away so unless you want them in their more often then they already are they are a tenant responsibility with few exceptions. If they hadn't tested them and replaced the battery and you had a fire you would be asking if you could sue them for the non-functional detectors.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:31 PM

497 posts, read 421,772 times
There are two different kind of LL that I've experienced. The ones that does a lot of inspections are looking for ways to file an application to raise the rent above the legal limit, to find ways to evict people and harassment. It doesn't matter if they give notice or not.

At my new place, they give notice with a range of dates or hours that they will do inspections that is posted in public places, and they don't do it frequently (we don't have to pay higher rent increase). I do feel safe having my engagement ring left at home and not stolen here but at the other place, I do not have that security and discovered later the LL has very bad reputation.

I agree with this original poster and see if you can find another place where you feel more comfortable living in. It is possible that this LL is trying to find ways to irritate tenants and get them to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting