U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:09 PM

3,382 posts, read 2,191,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I have to keep my AC longer because of high ceilings and large bedroom
We live where it is almost always over 100 in the summer, have high ceilings and a large bedroom, and our A/C is still lower than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

32,732 posts, read 21,249,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
We live where it is almost always over 100 in the summer, have high ceilings and a large bedroom, and our A/C is still lower than yours.
Maybe your celings are not as high or maybe you don't live downtown in the city like me

Old 03-18-2012, 05:35 AM

20,765 posts, read 22,963,000 times
Quote:
Maybe your celings are not as high or maybe you don't live downtown in the city like me
Electrical rates per KWH vary from state to state. Where I live the current rate is 0.48/KWH, where you live it may be as low as 0.10. Another factor is how much you use your A/C. Obviously if you're working then you shut it off during the day but if you're home all day your usage is going to be higher.

Use your ceiling fans rather than your A/C - keep the blades clean for maximum efficiency. Open your widows to let air circulate and particularly at night when the air is cooler. There are lots of ways you can save - an increase of $100/month for just one A/C unit seems like rather a lot and I'm guessing you may not be saving as much energy as you can.

Do you use energy-efficient light bulbs, do you unplug your TV and computer when not using them? It doesn't take much effort to reduce your monthly utility bills and every dollar is important, particularly when you're unemployed.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 AM

421 posts, read 460,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
You're pretty lucky they kick in for heat. A lot of landlords in the Northeast won't do that and in Philly you get your share of bad cold spells.

Fortunately Spring is here.

Your electric bills are not bad, really. Consider keeping the shades/curtains closed when it is very hot and sunny.

Fans are better than the a.c. I have lived in places very humid and hot and not used the ac...one of my houses was over 90 degrees in a bad summer spell at 7 am and we survived without ac.

It's really a luxury.
i am lucky then my heat is inluded in a normal winter waste land of the mohawk valley. and rent is only 375 a month for a i bedroom with eat in kitchen live room and bath. a(and one of the better apartment in this town well keep owner would rather have apt sit empty than rent to some one who would ruin place) all new energy star stove and fridge somy electric is only 52 to 65 a month dbased on how offten i use oven vs stove top or microwave. 1bd rooms in other places average 475 to 525 or and you pay heat and hot water. and who houses start at 600 per month. and no my apt building is not a dump it is a historic build bult with store fron for a drug store in about 1838 and canal stuff where the apartments are now. nice sound built warm place/

Old 03-18-2012, 05:46 AM

11,996 posts, read 11,444,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Electrical rates per KWH vary from state to state. Where I live the current rate is 0.48/KWH, where you live it may be as low as 0.10. Another factor is how much you use your A/C. Obviously if you're working then you shut it off during the day but if you're home all day your usage is going to be higher.

Use your ceiling fans rather than your A/C - keep the blades clean for maximum efficiency. Open your widows to let air circulate and particularly at night when the air is cooler. There are lots of ways you can save - an increase of $100/month for just one A/C unit seems like rather a lot and I'm guessing you may not be saving as much energy as you can.

Do you use energy-efficient light bulbs, do you unplug your TV and computer when not using them? It doesn't take much effort to reduce your monthly utility bills and every dollar is important, particularly when you're unemployed.
Its a big increase for 1 AC. I have 2 AC units, with $100 increase and use them both in the summer.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

Opening a window at night in the summer time living on the 2nd floor in a downtown area is pointless because there is no air coming through the window. So if I turn on the ceiling fan and open the window I'm not accomplishing anything.

BTW: Since i upgraded to a new AC in 2008, I don't use the ceiling fan in the summer anymore. Just the AC since it's stronger.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM

20,765 posts, read 22,963,000 times
Quote:
Opening a window at night in the summer time living on the 2nd floor in a downtown area is pointless because there is no air coming through the window. So if I turn on the ceiling fan and open the window I'm not accomplishing anything.

BTW: Since i upgraded to a new AC in 2008, I don't use the ceiling fan in the summer anymore. Just the AC since it's stronger.
There's seriously something amiss for one window A/C unit in a 1BR apartment running your electricity bill up another $100 during the summer months. Maybe you should read up on some energy-saving/conservation tips - there's a forum on CD for that too. If that sort of a utility bill doesn't bother you then I guess it's OK but it's all around very high when you're not using electricity for heating or cooking either. I gave you some tips already so there's no point in repeating them but you could have more money to put in the bank every month if you learned how to cut back.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:26 PM

421 posts, read 460,075 times
Quote:

you would be better off using the ceiling fans, belive it or not you would use less power and get a way with running it less

Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 PM

2,667 posts, read 2,151,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Ah, $890. The very lowest in my area for a 1 bedroom is maybe $1130.
$890 is a steal. I wish I could find something near downtown Boston for that price. I understand TVSG lives in Philly too. I really like that city.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
$890 is a steal. I wish I could find something near downtown Boston for that price. I understand TVSG lives in Philly too. I really like that city.
My rent used to be $650 and increased to $890 over a 12 year period
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting