Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:04 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

It is tenants like this that set apartment buildings on fire.
Absolutely zero common sense.

Are tenants really this dumb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Yes, yes they are.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or cold cuts or deli items or snack food or a salad when the power is out and you cannot cook.

Or, go to a restaurant or fast food place when the power is out. You would probably want to get out of the dark quiet house anyway.

Were you going to sit on the floor with a flashlight and cook at the fireplace? Even if it was legal, you would do it one time and never again. If the power is out, you don't want to open/close the fridge unless very fast and only once or twice. Else things will get warm and might spoil. If you are cooking in the fireplace, you would be opening and closing the fridge, and with a flashlight. I'd rather eat a can of unheated ravioli.

The idea about the outdoor grilling area is a great suggestion. If that doesn't work, go to a park that allows you to cook outdoors.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Yes i have had more then one use a grill indoors. I had a tenant skin a deer in the shower once, I found out when the plumbing backed up.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM

41 posts, read 212,216 times
i am confused, the apartment has fireplace that has chimney straight to the roof of the building (my apt is top floor), the fireplace is filled with burning ashes so i guess past tenants burn woods openly in there, isn't it the whole point of fireplace that you can burn wood there? stove (1' tall) only makes it safer, what am i missing?

someone asked if there's chimney there? i wonder how could anyone burn anything in a fireplace without chimney? my apt has real fireplace with all the metal stand and 17" deep inside wall (all covered by black ashes), with chimney in there that has a steel door you can open/close, it's not some fake electric "fireplace".

and no i am not that dumb to burn anything indoor without chimney or do anything remotely unsafe

Last edited by ns66; 03-22-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Most fireplaces in apartment complexes are NOT wood-burning (run on gas and are vented for such), so I don't think that was a huge jump in logic to ask if there was a chimney. Some fireplacs in old houses (rentals) are non-functioning.. a place where you might put a candle or set of electric "logs" for visiual effect. You should ask your LL about installing a woodstove- there are different precautions to using one than a fireplace, and unless you are qualified to install one, you could easily increase your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning and/or catching the whole place on fire. IF you LL says you are good to go with an open flame (doesn't it say anything in your lease about this?), then I suppose you could cook whatever you wanted on it. But I'd ask your LL, not the internet people.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 10,909 times
Well you need to make sure that you will not make a big problem in having fireplace in your apartment for rent. But before you start buying you need to make sure that your landlord will allow you to use fire place cause if not and other tenants will report you because they are greatly destructed every time you use your fire place you can be evicted.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM

even run on gas that's open fire, is there much difference compared to wood burning in a stove?
i checked my lease there's nothing mentioned about fireplace usage

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM

by the way i am not going to build a big stove in there, just use a small portable one that's used in camping

Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,899,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
even run on gas that's open fire, is there much difference compared to wood burning in a stove?
i checked my lease there's nothing mentioned about fireplace usage
YOU NEED TO ASK YOUR LL ABOUT THIS. If the chimney has not been inspected, cleaned and maintained (or if it has been deemed unusable due to age, a cracked liner or lack of a chimney cap) and you start a fire (or a woodstove) in there.. you could easily start a chimney fire, and unless you are outside, looking at the top of the chimney.. you might not even realize it was on fire. I speak from experience, and let me tell you, it was not fun to have a dozen firemen running through my house and a half dozen more outside, making sure that the flames that were shooting out of the chimney did not catch the roof (or the attic space) on fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting