Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,837 times

Advertisements

Our landlord is our good friend. One board member who doesn't like her also dislikes her tenants ( me) either she is homophobic or just needs a target. She is a very unhappy person with power and control issues. She is over her term limit but no one else wants to serve. She doesnt communicate anything. The president stays on the board to monitor her spending for example she calls an electrician to change lightbulbs at 27.- each. She calls a garage door repairman on a SUNDAY but the pres cancelled him and fixed the door for 4- in parts. Upon meeting residents when I moved in I noticed a rift and a weird childish attitude in the residents. Being told to watch my back with certain people. I don't play those games but WOW the behavior I noticed is bizarre. Sally especially hates the president and anyone who associates with him. She is the VP on the board and
Living here over a year. Everyone else in this 30 unit building is very nice and voted me to be on the architectural committee with the president because of the things I do around the property such as taking care of the plants, furnished an empty lobby and I help out whoever I can. I don't want money or recognition for this I just enjoy doing it.
Day one moving in find a note on door "I'm Sally I'm on the board call me or knock on my door".
My partner and I ignored it having been "warned" about her.
I received violation warning letters for things that aren't even rules like overwatering plants can harm the concrete in the common area which is an outdoor courtyard with residents plants on all 3 floors. The cleaning people HOSE down this area weekly not to mention rain but watering plants is a problem.
Another letter for having no wheels on a plant riser. The rules don't mention wheels just that plants be raised one inch off the ground. I commented that half the associations plants have no wheels she said we r working on it. When I first put my plants out exactly where other residents have on the 2nd and 4th floors she came out and told me they don't look nice there I should put them on the other end of building. I could go on but the clincher was when she saw me fixing the trash chute sliding door that broke when someone threw concrete down. I asked if all was Ok she said yes and walked away. Knowing it wasn't up to code she called the fire dept to report a code violation and they cited her with a fine. At the next board meeting she suggested they make me pay it. She got a unanimous vote of "you are crazy" . there are two board members who are "on her side but they even asked her to leave me alone. It goes on. I gave her a plant as a gift that I overheard her say she liked that made it worse. I've become close friends with a board member and dog and cat sit for others and they all say "well that's Sally for you". She eased up for a bit but now she is back on a roll. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you! Glen in long beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I'm afraid all I can suggest is you that you remain polite towards her but ignore her as it seems highly unlikely that she's going to change. If she complains about something just reply with something along the lines of, "thank you for bringing it to my attention" and walk on. She can only irritate you if you allow her to do so. She'll get bored eventually and find someone else to pick on!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Or, you say she is over her term limits - are renters allowed to be on the Board? Sounds like everybody likes you, maybe you could replace her!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Ask her nicely to please address any further issues in writing, and to cite the relevant line in the covenant or by-laws. If its not there its not a violation by you, its harassment by her.

You can also cite the line back at her where it shows she's over her term limits, which is probably a violation, and ask her to go cite herself. :-)

Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
If she is over term limits then she is in violation. I would point that out and volunteer to run to fill her position.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
I've never heard of a HOA/condo board where a non-owner could hold office. This whole association sounds badly run.

Keep things professional, and ask to receive all communications in writing. This woman is not your landlord.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:50 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
The woman needs to deal with the owner not the tenant. Don't interact with her and if she complains directly to you about anything, say you are just leasing and she must really get with the owner about any HOA matters.

Stay away from her.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,667 times
Try to have her put everything in writing. If she keeps harassing you about things that are not formally in the rules then you will be collecting evidence to be used against her in a harassment lawsuit. At some time, you might need to file charges against her if she keeps doing things that are either outside of her authority, or things that are not really in the rules.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Sounds like you have most people backing you up. Re "Sally"....Some people are just miserable humans. Too bad, you sound like a very nice person.
I would do just as you have been...tolerating and ignoring when you can. It may be the only thing you can ever do. Eventually, when she sees that she has no effect on you she'll pick on the next new resident.
Keep doing You...You can do You while you're worrying about her. And, stay involved w/ the other residents....They will keep you buffered, eventually she'll cross the wrong person and meet her match.

EDIT..The above person is right...Everything between you and "Sally" needs to be in writing. Keep documenting everything. TO put it bluntly...and since you mentioned she may have issues because of your life style...If she ever crosses the "line" because of your sexuality, nail her legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting