U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 PM

24,671 posts, read 50,430,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usdiagaya25 View Post
I'm in a odd situation, I've had a roommate who receives her mail here at my address. She has a child that lives in the room she HAS NOT paid rent for. She has lived here since December of 2013 and not once paid rent. she has threatened me several times and I am overall scared she is going to get me or a member of my family into legal trouble. Do i have to go through the eviction process or can I have her removed as a trespasser? I live i Pinellas county florida
What "legal trouble" do you think she can get you in? Was she ever supposed to pay rent? Are you the owner of the property or a tenant? Do you have any sort of a written agreement with her? The bottom line is that you have to give her notice to leave which I believe in FL is 30 days but you can check on FL landlord tenant laws which you'll find linked in the first "sticky" on this page. If she doesn't leave you file for eviction.

I suggest you speak to someone in Legal Aid or consult with an attorney to find out the best path to follow as the information you've given is very scant. If she threatens you why haven't you called the police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 AM

550 posts, read 392,598 times
Change the flipping locks already. Let them prove that they were a paying tenant. "Your honer, I did not give this person permission to live with me nor use my address. I barely know them. They are stalking me and I want a restraining order to keep them away from me. I fear for my personal safety."

Old 05-23-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Change the flipping locks already.
In most states someone living in a place is a legal tenant if they've stayed there for over one month and are receiving mail at the address. The OP needs to seek legal advice.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,052 times
Default Squatter

Ru around your pad naked. **** in the sinks. Pee on the couch.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 AM

^^^ School's out for summer ...

Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,698 times
Im awareyour situation isprobably solved as it is now summer 2014...lol but id still like to bring up the obviousfor others dealing now with something similar. Folks lets remember and consider there are 2courts things fall under..criminal..and civil. Considering this is a civil issue..id def take my chances and literally throw her crap in the street..secure your residence to prevent her from breaking back in andlet her know thats your final answer if she has an issue...take u to court. Yes..technically u r breaking the law but its civil law and the only person that can do anything is her! Your forcing her to take legal action to get any sort of accountability rendered. She will need to build a case gile papers pay fees and wait for her day in court. In meantime...eve if she has a hands down undisputable strong case and wins in court...she now has to actually take the judgement and enforce it meaning hire a lawyer or pi to garnish..sieze accounts..apply liens to property yadayada meaning thats alot of effort on her loser ass part. If she cant acquire a job or roof over her head what r the chances she will go through all this...believe me...im a ll &the only time id abide by actual tenant ll rules when im being abused...is if i believed this cld happen..so far iv thrown out 19tenants my way over years and not one...not one has even taken a first step by writing a simple demand letter...calling all lls....do not be abused!!its your way or the hiway...lets get real folks...i have so much fun being creativly law breaking with total scums who think bcuz its the law they r safe.....ha.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,664 times
Smile Omg

I know you can file a TRO( Temporary restraining order) against her for the threats. Also start recording when she is around as your proof. It worked for me. I had a guy in my basement who's mother used to own this house, she passed away 2 yrs ago. He failed to pay anything so the state took the house and put it in auction. He refused to leave, my family moved in and he was making it a total nightmare. Thank goodness we found this its the Nuisance Law, [url=http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/nuisance]nuisance legal definition of nuisance[/url] It allowed us a TRO. and he never came back because they told him he would be arrested. Check with your state on such law. Its out there for our protection.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
i have a story.....
I allowed my mother to move into my 1 bedroom apt with my 7 year old daughter along with my 19 year old sister. i decided to allow her access to my mailbox. around 3 months later the lights went off due to con ed working on it and she blamed me for not paying the bill. heres where hell froze over...... she decided to change my locks to keep me from the apt. i verbally assked her to leave and ofcourse she refused i have section8 housing and failed to report her and my sisters income along with the fact that they were stayinbg with me to them. now im screwed because not only is she threateneing t report that shes there but she wants me to loose my apt and refuses to leave. i need help a prayer and a drink( mind u i dont drink)... any advice

Last edited by jlalib25; 03-18-2015 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: adding notes

Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,811 times
oh and yes she thretened to whoop my u know what... infront of her 7 year old grandchild

Old 03-18-2015, 09:23 AM

You might have a problem with more than your Section 8 if your mother changed the locks without the landlord's permission. That's cause for eviction in most states - plus having 3 adults and a child in a 1BR is likely in violation of state housing codes.

You've created a real mess and the only suggestion I have is that you sit down with your Section 8 caseworker, lay your cards on the table and see what, if anything, can be done to get you out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting