Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM

41 posts, read 212,365 times

Advertisements

I moved in to an apartment complex in NC last year, everything is fine except after a year the new lease rent jumped by 4%, I like to know if this is the normal rent increase rate? I feel this is very high if increase 4% year after year. In NYC rent increases about 3% bi-annually

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Thumbs up well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns66 View Post
I moved in to an apartment complex in NC last year, everything is fine except after a year the new lease rent jumped by 4%, I like to know if this is the normal rent increase rate? I feel this is very high if increase 4% year after year. In NYC rent increases about 3% bi-annually

thanks
We have none. Our LL appreciates having competent, emloyed, responsible tenants...she even gives us our 12th month rent-free...
Koale

Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
There are no set rules for rent increases; it depends on the LL. Some complexes will base rent increases on the market value in their area.

Have been in my apt for 11 years and the rent has increased a total of $40 during that time. Some years there was no increase, one year they actually reduced the rent (I know, unheard of!). Averaged out, it would amount to approximately .6% increase/year.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There are no set rules for rent increases; it depends on the LL. Some complexes will base rent increases on the market value in their area.

Have been in my apt for 11 years and the rent has increased a total of $40 during that time. Some years there was no increase, one year they actually reduced the rent (I know, unheard of!). Averaged out, it would amount to approximately .6% increase/year.
that's nice, is it apt complex owned by company or private owner?
i am looking for an apt with stable rent long term, really don't like to deal with rent increase every year

Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
We have none. Our LL appreciates having competent, emloyed, responsible tenants...she even gives us our 12th month rent-free...
Koale
why i have bad luck

Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
I've never had a rent increase--I've always owned. But landlords are free to raise the rent as they see fit (and as they think the market will bear). When I was a landlord, I rarely raised the rents if I had good tenants who paid on time...but larger outfits usually try to increase their rental rates each year. Four percent may be on the high side, but it's certainly not extraordinary.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
that's nice, is it apt complex owned by company or private owner?
i am looking for an apt with stable rent long term, really don't like to deal with rent increase every year
This is an apt complex owned by a corporation.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:11 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:

thanks
0%. I have been renting since I was out of college, I have never received a rent increase. I've been renting for 5 years.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Since the bulk of our tenants are governement defense contractors, we raise it as high as the schedule will allow. If the schedule for the area is reimbursable up to $1,500 for a studio we raise the rent to $1,500 a month, if the next year it goes up $200, so shall the rent. So long at the tenant can charge the increase to uncle sam, we have no reason not to raise it to the max. For those who are regular self-paying tenants, the increase is actual cost adjusted and can be - 3% to + 3%. Yes we have decreased rents on self pay units.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 AM

23 posts, read 64,091 times
My rent increased 7% in just one year. Many people who, in previous times, would be buying houses, are choosing to rent instead. There is a shortage of rentals, thus landlords are able to raise the rent, and still keep their tenants. That being said, I will be looking for a smaller, cheaper apartment, when my lease is up. I can't afford 5-10% rent increases year after year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting