Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times

Advertisements

I know what low income housing is and I've seen low income housing in many different places over many years. Some are very well kept by very nice tenants and decent landlords and others are slums. With the current unemployment rate so high, I've no doubt that there will be an increase in landlord applications for their apartments to qualify for section 8. Better to have at least some guaranteed income than none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
alot of low income complex are very nice clean well keep and well run(these ones are very picky ) and the people take pride in what they have. then you have the places that all they care is they get the money and rent to who ever meets the rules.(these are the ones we tend to see) and we read about them in the paper on drug bust and the like. in my home town has town home type duplex forlow income people and families. the place looks great been there since 1995. people keep the yards clean and nice the outside of the building are well keep buy the owners of property. like any rented space. it is all who you pick

The only low income housing around here that is neat, clean and drug/crime free..is the senior low income housing. The ones for families are a hot mess! And it really is a shame because at one time those places were really nice.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:41 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
alot of low income complex are very nice clean well keep and well run(these ones are very picky ) and the people take pride in what they have. then you have the places that all they care is they get the money and rent to who ever meets the rules.(these are the ones we tend to see) and we read about them in the paper on drug bust and the like. in my home town has town home type duplex forlow income people and families. the place looks great been there since 1995. people keep the yards clean and nice the outside of the building are well keep buy the owners of property. like any rented space. it is all who you pick

Yes, I think when people say "low income housing" they only think Section 8 cause thats usually the only ones they identify as low income. truth is there are usally many other low income housing just that they are kept up so people pass them everyday and because they don;t look like a slum, they don;t recognize it as low income.

The slummy low income places is because thre landlords want it to be that way. The place would never get to that level if the LL was on top of things. But many are just in it for the income and really could care less.

My incle has some designated low income complexes designed to provide quality rentals to people with limited income, those on disability, or other assistance that is not Section 8. The tenants are screened just like every other tenant. They must sign a lease just like every other tenant. They must pay their share of the rent when due just like every other tenant. They must adhere to the rules and regulations, just like every other tenant. AND they can get their butts kicked out just like every other tenant. because of these types of places and how well they are kept, he has no problem intergtraing low income into his regular properties.

So I bet everyone has a low income complex in their town that they never knew was low income because it doesn;t fit their idea of what it should look like. You can have a low income property that lookes every bit as nice and clean with well behavied tenants as some high proce rental complex.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,399 times
a lot of old people and disabled(bot ssi and ssd) use sec 8(or sec 8 voucher) to help with rent and make good tenets. and they should get help since they paid in to the system for so many years befor they retire of became disabled

Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 12,984 times
Hi,

But they aren't giving out section 8 anymore. In NYC we have the housing department which offers low-income apartments.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Old thread! But for your information they ARE giving out Section 8 ...IF your one of the ones that Applied when they were taking applications. Wait list depends on your area & housing avalible. If some one currently on Section 8 dies or income goes above limits. And when they get low on people waiting then they re-open to except more applications.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM

65 posts, read 218,960 times
Yes section 8 is around in different areas. Santa Rosa did a lottery and if your name was pulled you were put on a waiting list or pre waiting list im not sure now. I was chosen and was told 3 years or more.

Where i live now the low income housing is not good.The majority of our income goes for paying rent just so we can live in decent safe place. Its very hard. I am disabled and we are very limited in what we can get here.

I have a niece and sister in Missouri who have nice section 8 housing.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 PM

I guess that makes sense. I didn't know they were still taking people off of the waiting list and I am not sure about any other areas, but as for NYC they haven't been taking new applicants since 2009.

Applying for Section 8 - New York City Housing Authority

Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM

but I agree section 8 housing is nice and much better. I know my mom waited more than 10 years to be chosen, so it is pretty competitive. Congratulations on being chosen and good luck!

Old 12-09-2013, 07:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
The section 8 lists (or HUD vouchers lists) open and close. You have to check regularly.

I live in Redding, CA and am on the lists for both the City of Redding and the county (Shasta). The city of Redding just recently closed it's list, but the county list is still open.

Even in cities where the lists are currently closed, they usually still have low income housing complexes or refurbished hotels, etc., that price the units according to Section 8, or otherwise according to your income/disability/age, etc., that is lower than the market price for that area/city. So, you can get approved for Section 8/low income housing prices for just that particular complex. So, it's still possible to get low income housing in an area where the list is closed. When you find one of these, you then normally need to get on the waiting list for that apartment building/complex.

That's what I have right now. I qualified for a low income senior hotel that was an old hotel refurbished for low income senior housing in downtown Redding. My rent isn't as cheap as section 8, but is still cheap ($350). Then, when I get to the top of the Section 8 list, my apt building will accept my Section 8, and my rent will go even lower - or I will be able to afford a 1 bedroom, instead of the tiny studio I have now.

Anyway, it's still possible to get low income housing. It takes effort and time to find the places to apply, then get on their waiting lists, and keep your name current on the lists. Eventually, you will get it, but it's not usually something you can get right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting