Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times

Advertisements

mbjjbtb-

You wrote the key word that motivated me to respond. "Pristine"

Your home will never be pristine again if you rent it out. I agree with the other posters. While your renters may not be extreme as the stories posted here, tenants will never care for the home like the homeowner does. They do not own it, they do not take pride in it and they have absolutely no reason to maintain it well.

We thought about renting our home too, and it was a similar size as yours. Ultimately, we decided against it for the above reasons.

Good luck.
Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Erin makes some excellent points. If you rent this house out to others, it will NOT be in pristine condition when you get it back. This is especially true when you consider the size of your home. The type of people wanting to rent a place that big are bound to have a kid or two. You need to accept that there will be some wear and tear if you rent out this house - and possibly some damage that requires repair. Even the best people have accidents.

I still think that the tennants you want will not want you to stay with them - even if it's just a couple of days. More than likely, they won't feel comfortable telling you that they don't like it, either. I think you just need to accept that if you rent out the house, you don't get to sleep there again until your tennants are moved out.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:26 PM

237 posts, read 756,978 times
Yes, I agree with all of you. We also looked into a management company and came to the same conclusions after speaking with several of them that you found out. They don't care, have nothing invested, so there is no incentive for them to rent the house. I think it's a racket to get your money to sign with them.
We also thought about just moving down there now and renting our NY home, but I have to consider our sons in all of this. It would be difficult to pull them out of school mid stream. There simply is no easy answer.
Thanks again everyone for your input.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:21 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjjbtb View Post
Yes, I agree with all of you. We also looked into a management company and came to the same conclusions after speaking with several of them that you found out. They don't care, have nothing invested, so there is no incentive for them to rent the house. I think it's a racket to get your money to sign with them.
We also thought about just moving down there now and renting our NY home, but I have to consider our sons in all of this. It would be difficult to pull them out of school mid stream. There simply is no easy answer.
Thanks again everyone for your input.

That's why we thought we had a shot because our "property management" company didn't even take any kind of setup fee's. However, even though they won't see a dime until it's rented, they still do not seem motivated to get it rented. If you were to rent out your NY home, you would still have the same issue in reverse. We thought about this ourselves, but our insurance company would not cover the NY property as a rental supposedly, and we really need some equity from the NY home to help us get the NC home going, so we are stuck trying to sell the NY home now and paying 2 mortgages in the meantime.

For us, we don't have any children in school (they are all over 21 now), so our situation is a bit different than yours and I feel for you guys. Best of luck, hope it all works out for you.

Andy

Old 09-15-2007, 07:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Just a question, but doesn't the equal housing act come into play at all when renting homes? I guess I always thought that if you rented a property, there were certain criterion you had to adhere to, like good credit, past rental history etc. And if the person who who wants to rent your property had those "qualities" you had to rent to them? I don't understand where the "pickiness" comes in?
what if I decided I didn't want to rent to one particular race, or college student, or a single gay male whose friend might overnight with him and I didn't like that...
Someone enlighen me...and please understand, I just made those scenarios up...I just never understood when people said they were "picky" about who they rented to.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Just a question, but doesn't the equal housing act come into play at all when renting homes? I guess I always thought that if you rented a property, there were certain criterion you had to adhere to, like good credit, past rental history etc. And if the person who who wants to rent your property had those "qualities" you had to rent to them? I don't understand where the "pickiness" comes in?
what if I decided I didn't want to rent to one particular race, or college student, or a single gay male whose friend might overnight with him and I didn't like that...
Someone enlighen me...and please understand, I just made those scenarios up...I just never understood when people said they were "picky" about who they rented to.

This is why you need to have criteria set up to ensure you are not descrimination against race, color, religion, sex or national origin [or on disability and family status]. You should interview several prospective tenants and if any red flags go up, let them know why the are declined (income, credit are common disqualifying factors).

Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I think it may only apply to units of four or more-I'm not sure it applies to a single home. I may be incorrect in my understanding though.

All I know is, we faced discrimination based on our family size, when we tried to rent a SFH, here in CT. It was quite blatant. We actually had less issues with that when renting in our current apartment complex.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
NC Fair Housing Law:
http://www.doa.state.nc.us/hrc/docum...HousingAct.pdf

US Fair Housing Act:
Fair Housing Act as Amended (Title 8)

Old 09-16-2007, 09:35 AM

237 posts, read 756,978 times
I don't know how we went from simple questions to assuming I am am being discriminating??? That is why we have housing laws, to help prevent that.
I don't think saying that I want to rent to someone who I feel reasonably comfortable won't trash my house means I would treat anyone unfairly. That being said, we have decided to let our cousin and her partner live in the house for free in trade for just taking care of the lawn for us until we can be there. Thank you everyone for your input.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM

86 posts, read 141,758 times
Default Do not rent any home!!!

Don't do it! Everyone I know regretted renting their property. Whether it was a trailer, condo, house. The property is abused and its very difficult to evict bad tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting