Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM

113 posts, read 893,055 times

Advertisements

Suppose that wanted to rent an apartment, but it wasn't move-in ready. Either there were some noticeable deficiencies (stains, stuff broken, odors), or there were still tenants living in the unit.

What would you do? (Aside from obviously documenting and landlord signing all deficiencies).

Would you simply sign the lease and accept the apartment as-is?

Would you take the landlords/managers word that they'll fix the problem?

Would you tell them to contact you when the apartment has been fixed?

Would you sign the lease only with a written agreement that they'll fix the specified problems?

I've never encountered this type of problem before, and my guess is that by not moving in right away (because you want them to fix the problems first) you run the risk of losing the apartment to someone else.

Which is the best way to go about this?
This is not a closed-ended question, those answers above were just examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 02:55 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
I would get in writing exactly what needs to be fixed.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,373,554 times
Get everything in writing whatever you chose to do. That way you will be covered. If you don't, it could turn into your financial nightmare!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
When you go to a complex to see about leasing one of their units, you'll see a model unit..you wont' see your unit until the day you sign the lease and they hand over the keys.

You won't lose your apt for things that need to be fixed because you already put down earnest money to hold your unit. Now, if it's a big deal item, it might delay you from moving in, but that's it.

Have you ever heard of a move in walk thru?

They will give you a form and you need to really inspect your place ( before moving things in) to make sure everything works, everything is clean and everything is in good order.

You make your notes on that form ( it's very detailed for all the rooms in the home) you have 3 days or so to get it filled out and turned in and then they will address your issues.

I had a few things on my form and they were handled within 24 hours.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
All promises must be part of the rental agreement if there are any deficiencies... it is for both parties protection, but, more so for your protection.

If it is something small, you can choose to accept or not.

I would not want to move in with carpet, paint or other disruptive items pending...

A faucet drip, damaged window screen, or loose towel bar wouldn't prevent me from moving in if I otherwise were so inclined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting