Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Regarding the pet rent & deposit, it's an additional $45/mo & the security deposit is another $200-300 I believe on top of the usual deposit of $400-500. (That part, I pay when I move in as I'm sure you know.)

BTW, glad to hear you loving being on the 3rd floor!

So, you're rent isn't 1150, it's actually 1195? Is that correct? Can you afford that along with utilities, renters insurance ( a must have) and other living expenses?

I do like the third floor. I have a parking lot view, perfer it over the lakeview, its much quiter and up this high you don't get headlights in your windows or ppl walking by staring in your windows..lolo...we have large windows so you can see right in if the blinds are open and a light is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 AM

[quote=sware2cod;23897258]I would not take it. No way would I haul a dog up and down to the 3rd floor.

I would wait until a lower floor unit is available.

IMO, they are playing games with the rent increase/decrease. They are creating a false "rush" to grab it before the prices rise. This is the oldest game in the book. They are telling you prices will rise in the summer because they know this will make you rent sooner. They want to snag a sale. If you wait, there is a chance you find another community and they know it.

IMO, prices will be pretty similar in the summer. If more folks move in the summer, then there are more empty units as well.[/quote

Hauling a dog and walking a dog up/down three flights are two different things.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
The OP currently carries the dog up/down the stairs. I assume the OP will continue to do this except now it is to the 3rd floor.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I wouldn't live on the 3rd floor of any building, nor an apartment. I had my fill of apartment living with people above and below me, and attached on either side of me long ago. I stick to detached places.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The OP currently carries the dog up/down the stairs. I assume the OP will continue to do this except now it is to the 3rd floor.

and unless she's disabled, walking up and down the stairs isn't going to kill her.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
and unless she's disabled, walking up and down the stairs isn't going to kill her.

She might be disabled. I think OP mentioned something about a disabled parking permit or something.

Regardess, holding a dog while going up/down 3 floors is no fun, even if it won't kill you. Heck, if the dog has to "go", by the time the OP makes it down 3 the stairs, the OP's clothes might be wet by the time they make it to ground level.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Well, I'm not moving just yet! As you guys know, you've really got to be in there w/ the rental agreement & $ in your hand ready to go & calling them & saying to, "Hold it!" doesn't matter. Well, it's a little tough to beat others to the punch when I'm at work all day.

Today's a regular work day for me, so I'm at work & mangage to squeeze in a call during the 10am hr to say I'd like to be in after work to submit my rental application & the $35 app fee. The agent said she can't guarantee anything by the time I'm in there. I asked her to confirm w/ me the price because in her last email to me, she only said she'd give me "today's price", which was $1150 on that day. She now says a higher price & when I question that, she says that particular unit's been rented already & the one I want (3rd floor, farther from the pool) is higher. To me, that's a little sneaky, but I just said I'd let her know if I'd still be by today, which I didn't end up coming.

The city I live in really doesn't have that many apt complexes & I still want to rent here, but I'm willing to wait & I guess if that means waiting till the summer's over, I'll do it because it's almost ludicrous renting at a high price when I know it can be cheaper & unlike many other people, I don't have to to be out from where I'm living now by any certain date. I really thought this was it!

Thanks for all your comments!

Quote:
I would not take it. No way would I haul a dog up and down to the 3rd floor.

I would wait until a lower floor unit is available.

IMO, they are playing games with the rent increase/decrease. They are creating a false "rush" to grab it before the prices rise. This is the oldest game in the book. They are telling you prices will rise in the summer because they know this will make you rent sooner. They want to snag a sale. If you wait, there is a chance you find another community and they know it.

IMO, prices will be pretty similar in the summer. If more folks move in the summer, then there are more empty units as well.
I actually agree & in another thread, I said the same thing about rent being able to decrease just as much as increase during the summer.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
She might be disabled. I think OP mentioned something about a disabled parking permit or something.

Regardess, holding a dog while going up/down 3 floors is no fun, even if it won't kill you. Heck, if the dog has to "go", by the time the OP makes it down 3 the stairs, the OP's clothes might be wet by the time they make it to ground level.

I'm guessing not since there is no elevator and she'd have to walk up and down those stairs, dog or no dog.

The dog has all four legs and is quite capable of walking...she just prefers to carry him...why? I don't know...ask her.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
With all this day to day waffling about the rent, I can only begin to imagine what wonderful surprises pop up on a day to day basis if you're a tenant. If you thrive on drama then it's a lovely situation but I would have headed in the opposite direction a while back. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Thanks for the luck. I'm just going to keep praying & if a certain time's meant for me to move, it will happen. At this point, yes, I'd really, really like to move in the summer, but if I don't, I'll wait till it's at the price I'm comfortable paying. No one knows what kind of bills I have & I don't want to end every month w/ hardly any money left. I'll just keep checking the rent almost daily, which isn't much trouble & I'll definitely jump at it & make it happen.

Yes, I've heard that rent tends to be higher in the summer, but doesn't that mean just as many people are leaving out of their places as well, which means the rent can just as easily be lower? I don't see how it can't be low as well as high if so many people are moving in the summer, but I'll just see. I know how low it goes & it's really one of the couple of best priced complexes for what it is.

I'm not worried. I'm getting it one day, if not today, then one day soon.

And the whole thing about carrying my dog, well, I live in a 2-story home now & his bathroom box is down in the garage. It's a good sized thin wooden (I guess plywood) box lined w/ newspapers. Yes, I've always usually just carried him downstairs (since I'm usually upstairs) every few hrs. I have to open the screen door to get to the garage. We have no doggie door & his bathroom box isn't the type where he can just walk into it. He can't get into it unless someone puts him in it. I just never wanted to go outdoors in the elements in our backyard to have him do his business & have that pooh to clean up out there, plus I hte the tons of lizards that surround our house! It's actually easy to clean up his area in the bathroom box we have, plus I don't have to worry about actually being outdoors in rain, etc. & waiting for him to do this. When I'm getting ready for work every morning, I fee him & put him in the box & leave him there for 5 min while I continue getting ready & when I come back downstairs, he's usually done the #1 & #2. I bring him back in the house where he has the whole den sectioned off for him to stay in all day.

Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting