Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,237,972 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath mobile home, all new appliances when renter moved in which was over 2 years ago. All my 3 bedroom homes are going $425 and up(depending on size of home, bathrooms, etc).

This particular home is renting in same area for $475. I just sent renters out a 45 day notice that rent will be increasing from $375(previous owners agreement), to $400, still below market value but I stayed with it for 7 months, and don't want to increase to fast, yearly, if they stay, and immediately for new renter. They are month to month renters, and have a tendency to be late...

However, my question is I don't have in my rental agreement how much a notice I have to give...since it's month to month lease, as I read the law, 30 days is sufficent, so I gave 45. Imailed the letter today...I fully expect to hear from irate tenants...

Any suggestions on how to speak with them? I don't want to be rude, but, I do want to stand my ground, I've written in the past on going up(on this forum)but, this is the first time I've actually done so...a little nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You're on firm legal footing and as a LL running a business you can't be getting nervous about someone becoming "irate" at your raising the rent or you'll never sleep at night! They have a simple choice - pay the increase or find somewhere else to live and there's no reason at all to let this become a source of friction. No reason that "standing ground" translates to being rude. If they come at you with an attitude, just remain quiet and businesslike and tell them nicely that the rent increase is still leaving the unit at below market value for the area and that if this means they'll have to seek alternative accommodation you'll be sorry to see them leave but you have no choice.

Hope your lease addresses late rent payments. It's hard to budget expenses when payments are late but at least if you have a late payment fee in place it helps lessen the load and is also a good reason for tenants to be on time. Good luck!

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM

Yes, Late fees are addressed and I do strictly enforce them. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
"they have a tendency to be late"

and you are only charging $400 for a property that could get you at least $475?

Without more information, it seems that maybe new tenants wouldn't be a bad thing.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 AM

Carlitos, I didn't want to go up $100, But, If they are late this month they will be served an eviction notice. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But, sometimes it's only taken advantage of.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Carlitos, I didn't want to go up $100, But, If they are late this month they will be served an eviction notice. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. But, sometimes it's only taken advantage of.
I hope you have experience with filing evictions and understand the whole process. You apparently already have a late rent fee clause in your monthly agreement. If the rent isn't paid then you would file a three day notice to pay or quit and then follow that with eviction. However, why go to all that trouble initially? Your tenants are month to month and you can simply give the required notice (in most states it's only 30 days or one month but a few others demand 60 or 90 days) and not resort to eviction unless absolutely necessary. You probably already know this! Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Yes, STT...Like I've stated before I was sorta "thrown" into the landlord business...and it's been trial and error for me...But, I do realize that...But, on the hard cases, Court order is the only thing that gets their attention. :/

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by round4 View Post
Yes, STT...Like I've stated before I was sorta "thrown" into the landlord business...and it's been trial and error for me...But, I do realize that...But, on the hard cases, Court order is the only thing that gets their attention. :/
Well all I can add is that compared to many woeful tales this doesn't seem like a "hard case" at all if the most they've done is be late a couple of times with the rent. Now if you decide to give them notice, first be sure you really want them to go. Sometimes the devil you know is better ... If you give them the required notice and they don't leave, then you go through the courts but not before. That's a waste of time and energy and it's not as though they're months behind on the rent and trashing your place.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
I pay 525.00 rent on a 1bdrm Apt. The landlord wants to raise my rent to 825.00 is that legal at the end of my lease.Philadelphia Pa 19131

Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim811 View Post
I pay 525.00 rent on a 1bdrm Apt. The landlord wants to raise my rent to 825.00 is that legal at the end of my lease.Philadelphia Pa 19131
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting