Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 23,511 times

Advertisements

Hello.

My girlfriend and I moved into a rental property in October 2011. Part of the rental agreement stated that it was the responsibility of us to pay the sewer and water bill but that it would remain under the name of the rental company.

Fast forward six months and we wake up to a 48 hour termination notice on our front door.

After talking to the sewer and water company, they told us that the bill was under the name of the previous tenant AND the rental company. They had been sending delinquent payment notices and bills to the rental company and the previous tenant. We had not been receiving them because the rental company hadn't informed us of the situation or the utility company of the tenant change, and the previous tenant had been forwarding her mail to her new address.

So we payed the past due bill and had to pay a 125 dollar reconnection fee. Which leaves me with two questions:

1) Is it even legal for the rental company to keep the utility in their name while making it our obligation to pay it?(The property was previously section 8 and we just assumed they wanted to keep the sewer and water in their name to continue getting section 8 tax credits.)

and

2) Can I deduct the 125 dollar reconnection fee from my next months rent payment without fear of eviction or reprisal?

The Pennsylvania Utility Service Tenants Rights Act states that it is the Landlord's obligation to notify the utility of the current names and contact information of the tenant when receiving delinquency and shut-off notices.

Thanks for your time and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
I'm not sure why you didn't contact the rental company immediately upon receipt of the 48 hour notice but suggest you do so immediately. Send them a return receipt certified letter with copies of whatever documentation you have from the utility company and ask them to promptly reimburse you the $125 reconnection fee. Do NOT "self-help" and deduct that amount from your next rental payment unless the rental company specifically advises you to do so.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 23,511 times
Did that. Ten minutes after I found the notice. They had no idea what was happening either. They told me they had called the utility company "but just couldn't wait on hold anymore." And they haven't returned any phone calls made after my initial call asking about the utility account status.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonfort83 View Post
Did that. Ten minutes after I found the notice. They had no idea what was happening either. They told me they had called the utility company "but just couldn't wait on hold anymore." And they haven't returned any phone calls made after my initial call asking about the utility account status.
Then send them the letter as suggested and clearly document everything that transpired from beginning to present (including their comment about waiting on "hold"!). When dealing with contracts and landlords/property management companies, don't rely on 'phone calls. When there's no response to them you need to immediately put things in writing and create a paper trail. If anything ever ends up in court you'll be up a creek without a paddle if all you have to rely on is "he said she said" nonsense. Good luck.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,000 times
How can our landlord be made to install individual meters for gas in our complex?
As it stands, there is one gas meter that is billed to the landlord.
I signed a lease agreeing to pay the gas bill believing it would be included along w/my electric bill from PECO.
I just received a bill from my landlord that states I owe 75.03 by 1/1/18 or if I don't pay by the 5th, it will be $125.03...A $50.00 Late Fee (Same as the rent's late fee.)

I am outraged to find that we have one shared meter in a 25-unit building.
I am currently on the C.A.P. program
(Customer Assistance) through PECO, and they are not able to help in any way UNLESS Individual Meters Are Installed.

I contacted my landlord's office today regarding this, and was told by the receptionist that installing meters is NOT IN THEIR BUDGET AT THIS TIME.
That I Have To Pay The $75.00/mo. or not only will that build up, but the $50.00/mo. late fee will also keep billing every month.
How can we as tenants... Long time tenants at that, make our landlord's install individualized gas meters for each unit in this building?

[email]btvaddict8150@aol.com[/email]

Last edited by BAJ8150; 12-27-2017 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 03:06 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,181,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJ8150 View Post
How can our landlord be made to install individual meters for gas in our complex?
As it stands, there is one gas meter that is billed to the landlord.
I signed a lease agreeing to pay the gas bill believing it would be included along w/my electric bill from PECO.
I just received a bill from my landlord that states I owe 75.03 by 1/1/18 or if I don't pay by the 5th, it will be $125.03...A $50.00 Late Fee (Same as the rent's late fee.)

I am outraged to find that we have one shared meter in a 25-unit building.
I am currently on the C.A.P. program
(Customer Assistance) through PECO, and they are not able to help in any way UNLESS Individual Meters Are Installed.

I contacted my landlord's office today regarding this, and was told by the receptionist that installing meters is NOT IN THEIR BUDGET AT THIS TIME.
That I Have To Pay The $75.00/mo. or not only will that build up, but the $50.00/mo. late fee will also keep billing every month.
How can we as tenants... Long time tenants at that, make our landlord's install individualized gas meters for each unit in this building?
You can't.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,033 times
Me and my family been living in a renal house for 2 years aand the lanlord keeps giving lame excuses why we cant get the utilities in our name how can we resolve this matter.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 9,033 times
How can me and my family get the utilities in our name because the lanlord keeps giving us the run around.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:51 AM

784 posts, read 718,351 times
Utilities are in a LLs name all the time. Especially sewer and water. Some municipalities will not even allow a tenants name on the bill. In a duplex or similar, it may be because there is only one meter.

Some LLs will give you a set amount to pay every month, some will just allocate a percentage of the bill to your unit.

The OPs $125 re-connection fee was hopefully waived in 2012...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinett Alexander View Post
How can me and my family get the utilities in our name because the lanlord keeps giving us the run around.
Call the utility company. The LL doesn't do anything with changing the name on the utilities.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,785,967 times
Fire is correct. A call the the utility should clear up your issue. You probably wont be allowed to see prior Bill's but getting the utility in your name should be pretty straightforward.

If you're in a duplex or other multifamily unit, be careful about that. You dont want to be responsible for everyone's bill.

Further, you should read your lease carefully, looking for any mention of utilities BEFORE you call to get a transfer. You could be in a lease where the landlord gets the bill and then bills you. If that's laid out in the lease, dont transfer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting