U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM

5 posts, read 19,411 times
Default TERRIBLE Roommates - I want out!!

In August 2011 I signed a two year lease with two people I distantly knew. We are all cosigned on the lease. I assumed at mid-20s that these people would understand how to maintain an apartment but apparently that is not so. They are absolutely FILTHY. Our house is disgusting and I cannot take it anymore. I tried putting a cleaning schedule together and nothing changed. I was still the only one cleaning. I sat down with them to have a meeting about it and excuses ranged from "My cleaning week passes and I just forget about it" to "I just don't notice the dust" Whatever. So we put together a new plan, everyone agreed to it. Big surprise, nothing changes, again. Our house is still disgusting. Their dishes go unclean for weeks until I cave and wash them because I can't stand the smell. To this day, May 2012, I am still the only one who has vacuumed the common area floor. We all have carpet in our bedrooms and the one roommate has only vacuumed her room ONCE because our landlord threatened eviction and she panicked (see below). There are hairballs stuck in her carpet. Yes, real hairballs.

On top of that, the landlord is already aware of how dirty they are. Once, one of their bathroom fans started leaking so he called the landlord to check it out. When the landlord came I was the only one home. He goes to his bathroom and there is mold and hair everywhere. It was rancid. I get an earful from the landlord about how to maintain an apartment and I try to explain to him that I had nothing to do with that bathroom!

Another major incident involved my second roommate. Her boyfriend puked on the sidewalk right in front of our door one night. I wake up to find it still there. She left for the entire day, leaving the vomit there, just festering in the sun. Finally our neighbors were fed up and called the landlord to tell on us. He calls me and starts screaming on the phone about our lack of responsibility and through this I'm trying to explain that it's her fault. He threatened eviction and I almost want to say, YES PLEASE EVICT ME OUT OF THIS HELL HOLE PLEASE. I hand the phone to the roommate cause this is not my fault at all and he is saying the same thing to her and she gets upset.. well you asked for it.

The last major problem is that the one roommate's car leaked coolant all over the garage floor. Our landlord took notice and threatened to hold our security deposit.

I have spoken to the landlord separately and he is aware of the fact that I don't cause the problems. But we're all signed together, so I don't know how that affects things.

So my question is this. How do I get out of the lease if we are all cosigned? And how do I make sure I don't lose a portion of my security deposit for their wrongdoings? HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Status: "there are no kings inside the gates of Eden" (set 3 days ago)

9,612 posts, read 7,093,874 times
have you tried constantly whinning to your room-mates whenever they are around? follow them from room to room and say "what about that?" and point at the mess so they know what needs to be done. that oughta do it, I think.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM

17,580 posts, read 18,148,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjob View Post
In August 2011 I signed a two year lease with two people I distantly knew.
Nothing good was going to come after this opening statement.

What you can or can't do probably depends on your lease.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM

20,523 posts, read 22,551,554 times
Why on earth you signed a two year lease is beyond me but the only thing I can suggest is that you ask the LL if there's any chance he might let you out of the lease. Your roommates would have to agree and maybe you can help find as big of a slob as they are to take your place! Unless you can find someone to replace you I don't think there's much else you can do and if you end up having to stick it out (even if the LL ends up evicting all of you) it's unlikely you'll get any of your security deposit back and will probably have to pay even more to settle up for cleaning bills, etc.

Talk to your roommates (do NOT be anything but nice) and ask them if they'd be agreeable to your finding someone to take your place. If yes and the LL also agrees, then clean the place up and keep it clean until you find someone

Sorry not to be of more help but yours is a good example of the horrible downside of roommates when you get into something without thinking it all through. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
have you tried constantly whinning to your room-mates whenever they are around? follow them from room to room and say "what about that?" and point at the mess so they know what needs to be done. that oughta do it, I think.
I've said things, yea. But if they choose to leave me in the apartment alone instead I don't really have anyone to move in and fill the other two places. I can't really swing paying 3x what I pay now..

Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,584,591 times
So the landlord is frustrated and you're frustrated...

Are the other two roommates upset about anything to do with the house? Would they be interested in terminating the lease as well? Cause if you can get them on board, it sounds like you might be able to call the whole thing off, and move on.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM

5,107 posts, read 9,261,151 times
Although state laws do vary, from what you have described, it sounds like you are probably all jointly and severably liable for the unit as a whole. That means that all of you are responsible as a group, and also individually for all aspects, including rent and condition. And meaning that the landlord is right to say that it is your responsibility to make sure that the puke is cleaned up and the bathroom isn't disgusting. As wrong as it seems, your landlord can very probably hold all of you liable. So if there are massive damages at move out, not only will you not get your share of the deposit back, but the LL could also send you a bill for the difference, and list you in a judgment if it doesn't get paid.

Of course, you could then sue the roommates to recover your damages, but that doesn't make the whole process any better for you in the short term.

It is an unfortunate possibility when you have roommates.

If you can get out of the lease, as STT said, that is your best option, but your deposit is probably forfeit at this point. If you can get out, make sure you get it in writing from both the roommates and the landlord that you are released from any further obligations for the property, so they don't try to claim that you did all their damage when you lived there.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
So the landlord is frustrated and you're frustrated...

Are the other two roommates upset about anything to do with the house? Would they be interested in terminating the lease as well? Cause if you can get them on board, it sounds like you might be able to call the whole thing off, and move on.
The two times we were in serious trouble that I mentioned, they acted as if our landlord is a "nutjob" and that he's so crazy for reacting like that. I'd say his reactions were pretty justified... Those are the only real complaints I've heard of them. It's not like they care about cleanliness. The one just bought a new rug for one of the hallways (woohoo another hair collector) and just hung up new paintings so she's making it seem like she's in for the long haul.

I'm honestly completely okay with working behind the scenes with the landlord to somehow work things out if we could. But as far as legality goes...

I'm wondering if I should talk to my roommates first or just go straight to the landlord. I also wonder if I tell him that I want to leave, if he'll do what he can to just get them kicked out since he has had problems with them already.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM

For reference, I live in NJ, if anyone is familiar with how our laws vary (hopefully in my favor but I highly doubt it with the way things are here)

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,614 times
How about you'll keep the house clean if they'll pay your rent. You could be the live-in housekeeper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting