Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,126,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Not all landlords are slum. Not all tenants are terrible. I have been lucky twice, very unlucky once. Not all landlords are thinking their tenants are cashcows to pay their mortgage.
We would just like someone to respect the property, pay their rent on time.

Until you have walked in our shoes, i dont think you are qualified to call us slum. I have been a tenant many times.
d
Nobody called you a slumlord, but experience has taught me that pretty much every landlord is a slumlord to some degree because they don't really care to put very much money into repairs/upkeep/decor in a rental property because it's "just a rental". I don't see why I should have to accept substandard housing just because I happen to be renting it...but that's pretty much what most rentals are that I have seen: substandard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,766,222 times
The homes we have rented have been our home in the past. So we jsut dont have them as an investment, we have a lot of good memories there. Why would we not maintain them?

Maybe you should check out the rentals more before you move into them.
d

Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
The homes we have rented have been our home in the past. So we jsut dont have them as an investment, we have a lot of good memories there. Why would we not maintain them?

Maybe you should check out the rentals more before you move into them.
d
Oh, they always pull the same "we don't have a unit available to show" garbage, and when most of the complexes pull that trick and you work for a living, you get tired of it and eventually sign somewhere.

I thoroughly inspected the unit I am now renting; I'm renting a townhouse in a complex where most of the owners actually LIVE in their townhouses, and they are all privately owned. I will never live in another apartment complex as long as I live, but I also won't rent from a landlord who doesn't use a leasing agency. I won't be put through having to contact the landlord directly with problems.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM

Well there is your problem ; why would anyone move into an apartment and not view it first?

Old 10-24-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well there is your problem ; why would anyone move into an apartment and not view it first?
I'll quote my previous post since you seem to have misread it:

Quote:
Oh, they always pull the same "we don't have a unit available to show" garbage, and when most of the complexes pull that trick and you work for a living, you get tired of it and eventually sign somewhere.
It is pretty rare for you to get to see the unit you will actually be renting before signing a lease, usually because somebody is already living there. Often the complex isn't even sure WHICH unit you'll be occupying until closer to your move-in date.

When's the last time you tried renting anywhere?

Old 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM

I rented in a complex for 5 years ; 1991 thru 1996, then rented a full house for two years.
I also rented a long time ago in a far off land.

I understand that you have had a lousy time renting, but please understand, not all landlords are awful. anyone I know looks after their properties as they are afraid of lawsuits etc. So it is in most of the landlords best interest to maintain their properties.

Now on the other hand, why should a landlord put so much money into the decor only to have the chance of it being trashed by a lousy tenant? Ask yourself if you owned the property and put so much money into it, how would you be if you came around one day and there was holes in the walls, windows broken etc. It is heartbreaking to see your property that you looked after so well be trashed by someone who obviously dosnt care. Then try to collect the damages!!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I rented in a complex for 5 years ; 1991 thru 1996, then rented a full house for two years.
I also rented a long time ago in a far off land.

I understand that you have had a lousy time renting, but please understand, not all landlords are awful. anyone I know looks after their properties as they are afraid of lawsuits etc. So it is in most of the landlords best interest to maintain their properties.

Now on the other hand, why should a landlord put so much money into the decor only to have the chance of it being trashed by a lousy tenant? Ask yourself if you owned the property and put so much money into it, how would you be if you came around one day and there was holes in the walls, windows broken etc. It is heartbreaking to see your property that you looked after so well be trashed by someone who obviously dosnt care. Then try to collect the damages!!
I've said it before...that's the risk you take when you're a landlord. I personally do not "trash" any unit I live in and in the past have hired professional cleaners to clean the unit when I move out because I know how much I hate moving into a DIRTY unit...which they always are. Even so, they always find a damned excuse to keep your security deposit for "damages." I don't know anyone who has ever gotten their security deposit back, but my brother was sued for "damage" he allegedly caused to a unit he rented as a student. Basically the landlord was trying it on, and it made it difficult for my brother to find another place to rent, all because his previous landlord had been an a-hole.

Sorry, you won't find a whole lot of sympathy for landlords from me. Clearly your tenant disrespected your property, but overall I don't have much sympathy for landlords as a group of people.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,196,903 times
Quote:
I was a leasing agent for an apartment complex in Ca. We never ever showed the actual unit. We had models that we were to show the prospective tenants. Of course the models looked nothing like the apartments themselves. There were always differences from the color of the carpet to the paint color etc.... So sometimes residents do not have an opportunity to view the apartment they were renting.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I was a leasing agent for an apartment complex in Ca. We never ever showed the actual unit. We had models that we were to show the prospective tenants. Of course the models looked nothing like the apartments themselves. There were always differences from the color of the carpet to the paint color etc.... So sometimes residents do not have an opportunity to view the apartment they were renting.
Werd. That's how it's always been ever since I rented my first apartment as a student in 1995.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:17 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,006,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Werd. That's how it's always been ever since I rented my first apartment as a student in 1995.
The complex I am in is the same way, they show a "model" and always tell you that you won't see the apartment you will be living in until the day you move in.

It's all such a game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting