U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 03:11 PM

3,589 posts, read 31,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Honey, I agree with you....and I am a RENTER (for the time being). I am a renter, and am embarrassed at times by it, due to other renters. I live in a very nice townhome/condo complex where most of the residents are owners-whether seasonal or not (Florida). But we also have the people who bought the townhomes to try to flip them, couldn't, and now are renting them. Quite honestly- no need to lie- it is obvious who are the renters and who aren't. I would say 8-9 out of 10 renters that live here...are the ones sitting outside in groups of drinking beer and swearing...they're the ones that have sheets over their broken car windows...they're the ones at the pool cursing and playing music with curses...they're the ones having parties at 3 in the morning...and the place I live in is NOT cheap...but they group up so that they can divvy up the rent. How do I know? Well, I know by their renter stickers on their car!

It was like this 2 years ago when I rented in a townhome/apartment complex. But, it was WORSE, because it was an apartment so no one owned anything.

So I am a renter, and am saying bad things about renters. Now of course not all renters are like this...such as us. We have never had a problem yet, but then again, we cover our butt at the end of the year by taking pictures and videotape of how we left the place...but we have three written glowing references by our previous landlords.

We have a new family moving in this week, renters, and hubby and I are dreading it, hoping that they won't be anything like we already have.
Excuse me, but I rent a townhome and pretty much everyone around me owns theirs, and they know I'm a renter. I'd be pretty goddamn annoyed if they thought of me as trash, since I don't bother anyone and I respect my neighbors.

I'm so sick of people assuming that if someone's acting ghetto, they MUST be a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 03:42 PM

1,915 posts, read 5,358,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Excuse me, but I rent a townhome and pretty much everyone around me owns theirs, and they know I'm a renter. I'd be pretty goddamn annoyed if they thought of me as trash, since I don't bother anyone and I respect my neighbors.

I'm so sick of people assuming that if someone's acting ghetto, they MUST be a renter.

I will back to my quote, in case anything was.....not able to be read...correctly.

Quote: Now of course not all renters are like this...such as us. So now obviously, you must be one like us. As I said (see in bold), not all renters are like this.

As for the "assumming" ghetto remark, I will once again refer back to my comments..
Quote: How do I know? Well, I know by their renter stickers on their car!
There are no assumptions here. Whenever we see...um, shady behavior...we look to see if they are owners or renters. A simple glance at the back of their car and we can see if it is a owner or renter sticker. They are ALL renter stickers.

Once again, no assumptions, but actual facts.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:48 PM

3,589 posts, read 31,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I will back to my quote, in case anything was.....not able to be read...correctly.

Quote: Now of course not all renters are like this...such as us. So now obviously, you must be one like us. As I said (see in bold), not all renters are like this.

As for the "assumming" ghetto remark, I will once again refer back to my comments..
Quote: How do I know? Well, I know by their renter stickers on their car!
There are no assumptions here. Whenever we see...um, shady behavior...we look to see if they are owners or renters. A simple glance at the back of their car and we can see if it is a owner or renter sticker. They are ALL renter stickers.

Once again, no assumptions, but actual facts.
Luckily we don't have "renter stickers" where I live...I don't have to tag my car. Sounds a bit like Nazi Germany to me.

The complex where I live has a strict HOA and that keeps everyone in line, renters and owners alike. I'm just sick of being tarred with the same brush as those trashy a-holes you're describing. Sick, sick, sick of it. I sold my house a few months ago and already I'm being made to feel like a second-class citizen because I'm BETWEEN houses right now.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 5,358,549 times
Quote:
Luckily we don't have "renter stickers" where I live...I don't have to tag my car. Sounds a bit like Nazi Germany to me.

The complex where I live has a strict HOA and that keeps everyone in line, renters and owners alike. I'm just sick of being tarred with the same brush as those trashy a-holes you're describing. Sick, sick, sick of it. I sold my house a few months ago and already I'm being made to feel like a second-class citizen because I'm BETWEEN houses right now.
The association had to start the stickers because by the community laws, you are only allowed to have 2 cars per household. Before the stickers, some houses had about 5 each. So households were given two stickers, and 2 guest passes, and any other cars were towed. I don't think I agree with the renter and owner stickers...I really don't think it should matter so I do agree with the comment about Nazi Germany...but, since they do have it...this is how we know who's who. I think the home owners wanted it this way too.

See, they are trashy a-holes and that's why I sometimes am embarrassed to have a renter's sticker on my car...because I don't want to be associated with them either! That's probably why I keep my house on the outside looking the nicest one on the block

Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM

1,352 posts, read 3,097,184 times
Quote:
Yeah, we renters are just scumbags.
Native, nowhere in my post did I say ALL renters were scumbags, I have no idea how you interpreted my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Nice. I despise this type of attitude. I've been a homeowner for 20+ years--I've owned about 5 different homes--until about 6 months ago when a financial disaster forced us to sell our home in order to avoid foreclosure (no we didn't have one of those screwy loans, we weren't upside down in our loan and we had stellar credit until our financial situation came crashing down on us). So we have to rent. About 98% of the homes in this small town are single family, privately owned. We had to take what we could get. It's ok. The landlord is ok. It's a small town so we have to work together. Yeah, he's cheaped out on a lot of stuff, but then, he's also been pretty good about some other stuff. Our kids go to school together.

But the attitude you display about renters? I hate that and have NO TIME for anybody with that kind of attitude. I just pray you never find yourself in my situation.
I'm confused with you as well, in terms of how you interpreted my post. I'm sorry for your situation, and things do happen. I was a renter for 20+ years up until approx. 2 years ago - so what are you saying? You know as well as I that there are horrible tenants who rent and do absolutely nothing to care for their property, who bring down the values of the homes around them. Those are the renters that I am talking about. I was not that type of renter and obviously you aren't either.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM

3,033 posts, read 5,816,584 times
Because you said that now that you were a homeowner, you want to get rid of the renters in your neighborhood.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM

2,192 posts, read 4,025,745 times
Here in the Northeast you can rent a Manhattan apartment for $30,000 a month, or a mansion on Long Island or in New Jersey for $20,000 a month.

Guess those folks must be sleazy renters too.
Just love the "nouveau - riche" attempts at snobbery here.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Because you said that now that you were a homeowner, you want to get rid of the renters in your neighborhood.
I'm talking about the renters in my neighborhood that don't cut their lawns, don't know the purpose of edging when it comes to lawn care, that sit out in the driveway with 12-15 people smoking, drinking, loud music, cars coming all day and night. Those renters that DO NOT deserve to live in a decent community. The problem renters. My next door neighbor is renting, he's a great guy and cares for the lawn, hard working and takes pride in keeping his rental clean and free of trash.

So I never said all renters, but of the 10% that are renting, only 2% are "desirable tenants". The others are trashing the homes and the community.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Here in the Northeast you can rent a Manhattan apartment for $30,000 a month, or a mansion on Long Island or in New Jersey for $20,000 a month.

Guess those folks must be sleazy renters too.
Just love the "nouveau - riche" attempts at snobbery here.
No unfortunately if you're renting property that expensive then 9 out of 10 you do own something and appreciate value

Furthermore, speaking for myself, I am FAR FROM wealthy and I have ALWAYS learned to take pride in anything that I have, regardless of the price tag or regardless of whether I owned it or not. If you rent a DVD, do you just trash it? If you borrow a friends car, do you not take care as if it were yours? I would think you would. Same thing with a rental, keep it clean and presentable and leave it in the way you received it - it's not difficult, just proper etiquette which should have been taught from an early age

Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM

3,033 posts, read 5,816,584 times
Hey, I'm a trashy, trailer-trash renter here in MA. Had to sell our home of 10 years and were lucky enough to find a rental. Now we're having a grand ol' time trashing it and trying to see how far we can bring it down within the year lease we have. Too bad the landlord is taking care of the yard for us 'cause I'd have so much fun trashing that, too!

Good thing we have good tenants in the two homes we own in Portland, OR. Phew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting