U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2012, 01:38 PM

17 posts, read 45,259 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I really need help, if anyone can give me some advice on what to do, I really appreciated.
I live in Housing apartment, I have a neighbor who everyday take care of her 3 little grandchildrens. Every morning from 8am-11am, sometimes even more. She let her 3 little grandkids run outside at the trees, grass area where my apartment is. Those little children constantly picks up rocks and sticks, throwing them around, running and screaming.
Have try talk to the neighbor, she refuse to cooperate soToday, I talk to the manager, she refuse to help me since she say the time is at 8am-11am, those kids have the rights to make noise, also she say the trees and grass area right at my house is the housing property, and those kids have the rights to run around and play with it. Manager refuse to help me.
From my case above, what can I do, is there a way I can complaint to the Housing higher authority. I have taken those kids pictures with my cell phone as proof, I also tape recording all their screaming sound as proof. Manager don't want to help, what other options do I have?
Any inputs it be great, Thank you

Those 3 grandkids of my neighbor are not legally live there. They are her grandkids of her son from somewhere else bring in to her ask her to take care from morning to late evening. So those kids are "guest" and not legally living residence there.

Are there like a law in Section 8 housing regarding to having guest in their house everyday?

Last edited by Help2; 06-21-2012 at 02:48 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 02:24 PM

5,472 posts, read 10,626,082 times
Unless they are being so loud that they are violating a city code, I don't think there is much you can do. Management is right. It is legal to make noise during daytime hours, and the grounds probably are apartment property for the use of all tenants. Also, I would stop taking photos and recordings of them, the grandma may file charges against you for being a stalker.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM

956 posts, read 850,548 times
Don't you know? You have no right to peace and quiet.

Seriously though there is nothing you can do, the noise the children are making is during "normal" daytime hours. I agree with the previous poster unless they are that loud for a violation, just have to suck it up as apartment living. Earplugs might help.....

Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 PM

17,580 posts, read 20,658,964 times
Unless they are hitting your window with the stuff they are throwing around I don't see where you have a valid complaint. It would be like livng close to a playground and complaining about the noise.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM

How can that be stalker? They are playing outside near MY apartment, I record their screaming voice as proof.
And it is legal to record any sound that OUTSIDE my apartment. Same to taking pictures of PUBLIC places such as outside my apartments.
Also, those kids are not LEGAL residents in the housing. The grandma take care of the kids because her son from somewhere else bring in those children to her and ask her to take care from morning to late evening. So those children are "guest" , they not children legally live in this housing.
She can be taking care of those children and recieve cash money without report to the housing,

Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,971,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Unless they are hitting your window with the stuff they are throwing around I don't see where you have a valid complaint. It would be like livng close to a playground and complaining about the noise.
There you go!!!!
Tell the management that they are throwing rocks at your window, damaging the property & have them look into the matter.
That will bring results I am sure.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Help2 View Post
How can that be stalker? They are playing outside near MY apartment, I record their screaming voice as proof.
And it is legal to record any sound that OUTSIDE my apartment. Same to taking pictures of PUBLIC places such as outside my apartments.
Also, those kids are not LEGAL residents in the housing. The grandma take care of the kids because her son from somewhere else bring in those children to her and ask her to take care from morning to late evening. So those children are "guest" , they not children legally live in this housing.
She can be taking care of those children and recieve cash money without report to the housing,
Unless your apartment complex has a rule that says that a tenant cannot have guests, or that they cannot babysit their grandkids during the day, again, you don't really have any grounds.

I really doubt that she is receiving payment for watching her own grandchildren, but if she is, that is not really your business or housing's business unless they have a specific rule against it. It isn't like she is running a daycare, she is watching her own family members.

And as for stalking...sure, you are allowed to take photos of public places. First off, this is not a public place, but private property owned by the apartment complex, and secondly, you aren't talking about taking photos of a place, but rather of people...the same people over and over again. Recording them as well would just add to her case if she decided to pursue it. Also, recording someone without their knowledge and consent is illegal in many places. The fact that it is children is sort of the last nail in the coffin. Taking repeated photos and recordings of someone else's children looks suspicious, even if you think you have a legitimate reason.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Lacerta, thanks for your inputs, but no need. i already talk to the Management and talk to the manager again. The manager say they not suppose to have grandkids from another place bring in for her to take care 5 days a weeks, that is 20 days a month.
Just to let you know, section 8 Public housing law required any guest who stay in your house more than 3 consecutive days or more than 2 weeks a year, need to be report. Obviously those grandkids for 20 days a month is already breaking the rules.
By section 8 Public Housing law that is illegal if it not reported. The management will talk to the family and will solve this. The management say if the manager don't solve this, a complaint will be write.

And I have ask manager, she say feel free to take pictures with my cell phone if I want, and show her. And audio can be shown in court if needed, since when file a complaint, they don't need audio.

and there is rule, it called section 8 housing voucher, you break the rule, you lost your voucher rights to any public housing where government help you some of the rent.

And you wrong, I just ask. It is LEGAL TO RECORD FROM MY APARTMENT. Meaning, I sit in my house, recording sound in my house. If the children outside happened to be LOUD enough that their sound goes through the wall and to my recording, then too bad,. By law it LEGAL.

Last edited by Help2; 06-21-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Ok, well saying they were Section 8 would have been an important fact to mention.

But beyond that, I have 6 section 8 tenants right now, and have participated in the program for over a decade, and I've never heard that rule before. So you got me curious. The HAP contract is a federal form (not state specific) and I've looked through it and can't find anything that says that. It does say:

Quote:
The composition of the household must be approved by the PHA. The family must promptly inform the PHA of the birth, adoption, or court-awarded custody of a child. Other persons may not be added to the household without prior written approval of the owner and the PHA.
and
Quote:
The contract unit may only be used for residence by the PHA-approved household members. The unit must be the family's only residence. Members of the household may engage in legal profit making activities incidental to the primary use of the unit for residence by members of the family.
and they define "household" as
Quote:
The persons who may reside in the contract unit. The household consists of the family and any PHA-approved live-in aide
I can't think of any reason Section 8 would have a problem with a grandmother babysitting her grandchildren during the day. They aren't "residing" at the unit. A babysitter does not claim the children they babysit as part of the household. Plus, the last sentence of the 2nd quote seems to indicate that babysitting for profit is permissible. So I'm curious which section of the HUD 52641 contract states this policy. In addition, an argument can be made that since the kids aren't staying for any nights, they haven't met the "3 consecutive days" or the "more than 2 weeks a year" listed anyway. They are simply guests. If they were staying overnight often, then I would agree with you that they would be violating Section 8's rules on "household" reporting.

If your manager has changed their tune and says it is in violation of the lease, that is an entirely different subject. But I don't think they are correct in saying it violates HUD's rules. Unless of course, your local HUD branch has some extra rules beyond the federal guidelines.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM

ah i see, thanks for explain to me. appreciate your help
i just happened to live in a ghetto place, the city here is not very good. Many Asian here work under the table such as baby sitting , work in places where pay CASH only, and not report the income to the section 8 housing.
As you know the government helps pay our rent, so by law we suppose to report our income, this is required. The management is very strict on this, when they find out anyone cheats, you just loose your voucher. Setion 8 housing laws varies state by state, so I think it different here in California.
But thank you for helping me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.