Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 30,749 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide between a studio or a 1-bedroom, and cannot seem to weigh the pros and cos because I know little about studios.

1. Are they comfortable? I would assume I'd get agitated living in such a small unit. It's like, no matter where you go..you're in the same room.

2. Do they get messy? I imagine living in such a small unit, you have to keep possessions to a minimum.

I'm not even sure if this is the right forum for this type of question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:53 PM

14 posts, read 40,916 times
I've lived in studios when I've wanted to minimize my expenses. Typically, you do have to find ways to maximize the space, and if you're lucky enough to find a studio that has greater square footage, it's all the better. The smaller the furnishings, the better because it makes the space appear larger. A plus for me in living in a studio was that it was easier to keep clean and less cluttered.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Wanderer View Post
I'm trying to decide between a studio or a 1-bedroom, and cannot seem to weigh the pros and cos because I know little about studios.

1. Are they comfortable? I would assume I'd get agitated living in such a small unit. It's like, no matter where you go..you're in the same room.

2. Do they get messy? I imagine living in such a small unit, you have to keep possessions to a minimum.

1. It's like living in a hotel room. Personally, not for me.

2. The only way your unit would get messy is if you failed to clean it.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 28,314 times
When I was looking at apartments I noticed the rent was about the same for studios and 1-bedrooms, except the studios usually had utilities included. The thing is, how much can utilities really run for a 1-bedroom? I ended up finding a 2-bedroom in my price-range and haven't got a utility bill yet, but 6 years ago when I was renting a 1-bedroom my utilities ran around $90 a month with no intentional conservation.

If the neighborhoods and rents are comparable I'd choose the 1-bedroom any day.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave Wanderer View Post

I personally don't mind them and have stayed in one before, the unit wasn't the problem it was of course the "neighbors" luckily it was only temporary. Of course it depends on you if you don't like staying in "one room" look elsewhere.

Any place can get messy if you don't clean. I actually found it easier to clean because everything was in "one room" lol

Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
It depends a lot on your lifestyle. There were points were I have lived in a studio and been perfectly happy with it. Before, when I was pet free and rarely home a studio was perfect; cheaper rent, cheaper to furnish, less space to clean, and keeps your belongings to a minimum. Now, I have a dog and work from home so a studio would not be ideal. I like to cook and have friends over, something that was harder to do in a studio.

A studio was easier to keep clean for me. Now, I can set my laundry down on the futon in my office and forget about it for days, while in a studio everything had to be put away promptly or I was forced to look at the mess. Some studios are set up in a far superior way than others. If you do get a studio, make sure it has adequate storage space (think about where you will put thinks like a vacuum cleaner, trashcan, appliances, etc). I looked at a couple that had a separate kitchen area and I liked this option because it keeps kitchen grease and smells out of the living area a bit.

If you are not excited about living in the studio or willing to make sacrifices for a goal (say saving money) I'd recommend the 1 bedroom.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Back when we were young, broke college kids, I shared a studio apartment with my girlfriend. It was okay. Certainly small, but its better than living in a cardboard box under the bridge.

Just get a sofa-bed and you are good to go.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

160 posts, read 397,615 times
They're okay if you're not expecting much company. There were some little things that I didn't really consider... for example, my fridge would kick on and startle me awake in the middle of the night since I was only 10 feet away from it. But it's worth it if there's a significant savings.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I think it depends what your needs are. I like my 1 bedroom because it's easier to have guests over. And my family lives on the other side of the country, so I like when my parents come to stay I can give them my room and I can sleep on the sofa couch and everyone still has a little bit of privacy. Plus I have a dog so the extra space is nice for him. But a studio isn't awful. If it's a lot cheaper it's definitely doable for awhile.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by argot View Post
They're okay if you're not expecting much company. There were some little things that I didn't really consider... for example, my fridge would kick on and startle me awake in the middle of the night since I was only 10 feet away from it. But it's worth it if there's a significant savings.
LOL...really thought that was just me, but my biggest peeve was that I could lay in bed and hear the refrigerator. Living in a studio was ok, but I prefer the one bedroom I have now and would not live in a studio again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting